Old 03-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

City: Solomons Island, MD
Vessel Name: Heather Alyssa
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390
Rode splice

Hello again Trawler friends. Almost splash time. Can you please take a look at this splice. Is this a no brainer (Replace immediately) or will I be ok? I was going to remark my Rode but this stopped me dead in my tracks since I don’t know if it’s worth wasting my time if I need to replace it.

Thank you.

Alex

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1521385615.211543.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	74263
HeatherAlyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:44 AM   #2
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
I'd say replace. Cut off the rusty link too. With that much rust I'd worry about wearing. Don't like worrying about anchor gear.

I washed reversed and re-spliced both rope and chain every year on my 26-footer with rope/chain rode. Once I got my splicing practiced up a bit, it was an easy job.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #3

City: Comox
Vessel Model: 1989 Wellington 57 motorsailer
I agree with the above. Remove the last chain link and re splice.
Nightsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #4
Guru

City: Sidney BC Canada
Vessel Name: RochePoint
Vessel Model: 1985 Cheer Men PT38 Sedan
I would redo the splice, cut off a couple of chain links to get past the rusted ones.
rochepoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
I agree with RCook. Cut off the splice, cut off that last link, and then resplice. Any idea how old that splice is? I’m a bit concerned about the level of rust on that last link. However, if it has been there for years, then it makes sense.

It is also a good demonstration of why you want to rinse salt water off the chain/rope splice really well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:15 AM   #6
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I agree with the previous agreements!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:21 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
+1 on resplicing and cutting off link. It will be difficult to resplice since the line looks old and will be stiff. But you like a challenge don’t you?
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:25 AM   #8
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
I concur with the remove the rusted link & resplice posts. I would add that if you intend to use the same rode, end for end it & hopefully the other end is more supple for splicing. Also soak the end you're going to splice in a bucket of water & fabric softener for a couple of hours. My fingers start getting cramped just thinking about putting a splice in an old line!
Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #9
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
+1 on resplicing and cutting off link. It will be difficult to resplice since the line looks old and will be stiff. But you like a challenge don’t you?
Ahhhh - put in new line maybe??!! That almost looks like old manila, maybe? Naw... upon another look... just old frayed discolored nylon, I guess.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:38 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
It would be informative (too all of us) if you can find out how old that splice is. Then we will all know how urgent the next inspection of your new splice will be.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #11
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Second Boomerang's comment (saw it after I'd blathered; might as well have copied his). I'd be a little fretful of damage by residual soaps and softeners, although the idea is that that splice will be well and often rinsed.

Chop it off, cut the rusty links off. Splice to the unused end of the rode. The unused end will have been out of the sun and weather and should be an easier splice. But soak it in fresh water and work it while soaking to get the salt out; it'll be easier on you.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #12

City: Solomons Island, MD
Vessel Name: Heather Alyssa
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390
Wow. I spent the past few hours cleaning my bilge and came back to this and noticed all the comments. Thank you. I have a fresh water rinse on the bow so it always gets a good shower before coming aboard. The one thing I can’t guarantee is that all of the salt water is removed since I’m always on the flybridge while someone is helping me rinse it. I just have to trust that they get all the mud and salt water off the line. The boat is 20 years old and I’m not sure when the last owner replaced the rode. I bought it in 2016. As for rope material. It definitely isn’t manila. It only looks that way because it’s very dry and chafed. The rest of the line looks good. I think I’m going to take your advice and resplice. Although I did 20 years in the Navy, I think only after I resplice this will I feel like a true sailor LOL. Of course I was aviation. I’ll update you with the new splice.

Thanks all!

Alex
HeatherAlyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #13
FF
Guru

Splices are nice and nautical, but unless you do them often can be kluges.

We use a bowline with 2 loops thru the link.

Not as strong as a splice , but a min to cut off and refresh the turn of the line.

We prefer short chain (4-5ft) , that never passes the capstan , so a knot is no hassle.

KISS
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Splices are nice and nautical, but unless you do them often can be kluges.

We use a bowline with 2 loops thru the link.

Not as strong as a splice , but a min to cut off and refresh the turn of the line.

We prefer short chain (4-5ft) , that never passes the capstan , so a knot is no hassle.

KISS

Certainly works, but then you miss out on the enjoyment of splicing and the satisfaction that a splice well done (or even reasonably well done) can bring.

I actually am always looking for something to splice. It is a great excuse to sit in the cockpit with a beer.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #15
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
....I actually am always looking for something to splice. It is a great excuse to sit in the cockpit with a beer....
Whenever I want to practice my splicing I grab a 5 foot piece of line and a brass snaphook and make someone a dog leash. Dog/boat people love a nautical looking leash.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 08:11 PM   #16
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Certainly works, but then you miss out on the enjoyment of splicing and the satisfaction that a splice well done (or even reasonably well done) can bring.

I actually am always looking for something to splice. It is a great excuse to sit in the cockpit with a beer.
Dave - Due respect intended.

Sounds as though you have contracted the marine addiction ... splice-itis.

There are others. My dad was one. A beer, a hunk o' line, a sea knife having gently curved marlin spike with sharp blade too... and... any reason in the world to do some sort of splice [or no real reason at all... i.e. just for practice]. He was damn good at it... as I'm certain you already are or soon will be too!

That is one addiction that passed me right on by!
Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAlyssa View Post
Wow. I spent the past few hours cleaning my bilge and came back to this and noticed all the comments. Thank you. I have a fresh water rinse on the bow so it always gets a good shower before coming aboard. The one thing I can’t guarantee is that all of the salt water is removed since I’m always on the flybridge while someone is helping me rinse it. I just have to trust that they get all the mud and salt water off the line. The boat is 20 years old and I’m not sure when the last owner replaced the rode. I bought it in 2016. As for rope material. It definitely isn’t manila. It only looks that way because it’s very dry and chafed. The rest of the line looks good. I think I’m going to take your advice and resplice. Although I did 20 years in the Navy, I think only after I resplice this will I feel like a true sailor LOL. Of course I was aviation. I’ll update you with the new splice.

Thanks all!

Alex
YouTube has some good "refresher" videos on splicing. With YouTube, I was able to resplice my 8-ply Brait as my very first line-to-chain splice.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Dave - Due respect intended.

Sounds as though you have contracted the marine addiction ... splice-itis.

There are others. My dad was one. A beer, a hunk o' line, a sea knife having gently curved marlin spike with sharp blade too... and... any reason in the world to do some sort of splice [or no real reason at all... i.e. just for practice]. He was damn good at it... as I'm certain you already are or soon will be too!

That is one addiction that passed me right on by!

I understand your Dad completely. I have a number of spliced loops laying around. Very little practical use for them, but when there is a leftover piece of 3 strand at least 3’ in length, it just calls out to be spliced into a loop. Being a reformed sailor has some disadvantages I guess.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
YouTube has some good "refresher" videos on splicing. With YouTube, I was able to resplice my 8-ply Brait as my very first line-to-chain splice.

I have never spliced it but I am interested. I like 3 strand, but after my last solo excursion a couple weeks ago I was thinking I would like some new transient dock lines and that the brait may be the ticket. Of course, my wife my shoot me. As I type this I am sitting next to 3/4 full spool of 5/8” 3 strand. Put a round placemat on the spool and it makes a serviceable end table. I think if another spool of line showed up she might be a little grumpy.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 03-18-2018, 09:10 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Matching tables, Dave!!

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote