Reworking the wet/head area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
We have been working on the wet head area some this winter . Installed some fiberglass panels and some new paint . Installing a new shower head/ faucet. I wish we could squeeze a sink in here but there just isn't enough room . We'll have to keep brushing our teeth and washing hands in the wheelhouse sink.

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_2535.jpg
    IMG_2535.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 184
Pack Mule tells of using fiberglass panels but what he does not talk about is how he cut this stuff. For those who have experienced the "fun" of cutting G10.... well the fiberglass panels that I am familiar with from Home Depot are in that category. But the panels do look just great.

What I found (from a suggestion elsewhere) the very best way is to use powered metal cutting shears such as Makita JS1300 Straight Shear or the $40 ones sold at Harbor Freight. NOoo dust! Those things are great for this work. And just maybe, that could be how Pack Mule cut his.

The fold up sink would have been my suggestion but I was beaten to it. These things are available in several versions. Many simply dump the wastewater when you tip the sink; some drain to the drain continuously like the Pullman railway types. Some are integral with the toilet (a little too similar to the all-stainless sink-toilets used in prison cells). Obviously the airspace over the toilet is the best place...if the folded sink leaves room to sit enthroned.

I routinely cut the fiberglass sheets with: table saw, radial arm saw, saber saw, router, and cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. I clean up edges with files, angle grinder w/sanding discs, disc sander.

I'm amazed that you can get away with cutting the fiberglass with shears. I would have expected shattering since there is precious little glass fiber in those sheets.

Last edited:
The fold up sink would have been my suggestion but I was beaten to it. These things are available in several versions. Many simply dump the wastewater when you tip the sink; some drain to the drain continuously like the Pullman railway types. Some are integral with the toilet (a little too similar to the all-stainless sink-toilets used in prison cells). Obviously the airspace over the toilet is the best place...if the folded sink leaves room to sit enthroned.

I routinely cut the fiberglass sheets with: table saw, radial arm saw, saber saw, router, and cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. I clean up edges with files, angle grinder w/sanding discs, disc sander.

I'm amazed that you can get away with cutting the fiberglass with shears. I would have expected shattering since there is precious little glass fiber in those sheets.

Yes, I have tried all the tools you listed with a router and cutoff wheel working the best........until I tried shears :thumb:! It is truly amazing how easily shears cut the stuff with no dust.

I wanted to purchase the Makita that was being sold (factory rebuilt) for $50 but I needed it immediately. So I purchased Harbor Freight's shears for $40 if memory is correct. It did the job with ease.

Last edited:
Pack Mule tells of using fiberglass panels but what he does not talk about is how he cut this stuff. For those who have experienced the "fun" of cutting G10.... well the fiberglass panels that I am familiar with from Home Depot are in that category. But the panels do look just great.

What I found (from a suggestion elsewhere) the very best way is to use powered metal cutting shears such as Makita JS1300 Straight Shear or the $40 ones sold at Harbor Freight. NOoo dust! Those things are great for this work. And just maybe, that could be how Pack Mule cut his.
These panels seem to be more plastic than fiberglass . They are smooth on one side and pebbles on the other side . They call it FRP at Lowes . I cut on table saw with carbide blade and a jigsaw with with regular blade I think .

Yes, FRB is fiberglass reinforced plastic. It was a big PITA to cut for me. Really dulls up cutting tools. But whatever works for you, those are the tools to use. If you have a chance to borrow/rent shears for your next project Marty, consider trying them.

Yes, FRB is fiberglass reinforced plastic. It was a big PITA to cut for me. Really dulls up cutting tools. But whatever works for you, those are the tools to use. If you have a chance to borrow/rent shears for your next project Marty, consider trying them.
Thanks for the tip . I have a pair of electric shears that I bought for a metal roof project at home . I've only used them a couple times.They probably won't put out the dusty stinking glass particals like the table saw does . My shop is in the basement and Joy can always tell upsatirs when I'm cutting this stuff on the table saw

We've had chatter about these fiberglass sheet goods in the past. Around my local Home Despot and Lowes, they're definitely FRP - fiberglass reinforced plastic, Fiberglass. Similar stuff is made of PVC (as reported on this forum, and sold in the Despot in Canada) and would readily cut with shears, or utility knife or a even hot knife.

Thanks for the tip . I have a pair of electric shears that I bought for a metal roof project at home . I've only used them a couple times.They probably won't put out the dusty stinking glass particals like the table saw does . My shop is in the basement and Joy can always tell upsatirs when I'm cutting this stuff on the table saw

Marty-- if your shears resemble the Makita model I posted or for that matter the $40 jobs sold by Harbor Freight, give it a quick try. Come back and share your excitement! :thumb:

Foggy

EDIT: Better still, check out this Youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1gfseRFL8s

Last edited:
X2 on the $40 Harbor Freight solution. Works great on FRP, PVC, light sheet metal - wish I'd have bought one tears ago.

I looked at HF`s shears online, and the vid. Is it a spinning blade? I couldn`t tell. I have used a "nibbler" which took small continuous bites to form a cut, Bosch brand I think. None too reliable,the shears look much better.

Bruce-- no, the blade resemble scissors with one movable blade chopping up and down between two fixed lower blades.

In one of my earlier posts I mentioned that at the time I purchased mine, a factory rebuilt Makita was available online for $50. My error, it was a Milwaukee. The same unit now costs $125 rebuilt.

It's a nibbler. You do have to pay attention to the 1/8 - 3/16 takeout that the cut makes. Takes a little getting used to.

With the minor amount of work I do with the shear, figure the Chinese HF unit will last me a lifetime.

Finished this up today . Not real happy with our new faucet/ shower head combo that I bought . I thought it would've been heavier duty than it appears to be. I haven't put the water pressure to it yet because we are still winterized .

Attachments

• IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 101
The faucet / shower head was $120 from Fisheries Supply .

Attachments

• IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 108
This is the new shower curtain track. I bought a 6 ft kit that came with track, rollers , hooks and mounting brackets . I bent the track around a 4" diameter pipe . It can be mounted against bulkheads and also to ceiling.

Attachments

• IMG_0656.jpg
    IMG_0656.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0657.jpg
    IMG_0657.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 82
Finished the head , shower curtain up and after four years I finally made a new toilet paper roll out of some Corian scraps and a piece of copper tubing .

Attachments

• IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2688.jpg
    IMG_2688.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 77
Well done, X2.

When I make TP holders, I make the brackets as I see fit, then buy the cheepie spring-loaded spindles.

Built this teak dry towel shelf today. It has to fit between two bulkheads in the head . This should free up a drawer . I'll let you know tomorrow if it fits ?.

Attachments

• IMG_2932.jpg
    IMG_2932.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 52
"It was a big PITA to cut for me. Really dulls up cutting tools."

Cutting GRP is a pain , but using any jug saw with a coated abrasive blade makes great cuts and little dust.

A shim here and there and it's in . It actually freed up two drawers for more stuff .Still have my handhold for the toilet .:D

Attachments

• IMG_2935.jpg
    IMG_2935.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 40
Back
Top Bottom