Retractable Screen Door Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sum escape

Vessel Name
Sapphire
Vessel Make
Tiara 53 Fly
RVs simply use screens mounted on top (Velcro) that are wide and have a light chain sewn into the bottom.

They are fitted wide so simply pushing the screen out of the way on exit /entry with no effort required to close the screen.No knowledge required to open or close.

When not required it stows easily and is not a eye sore..

About 2006 I installed one on the Camano 31 I used to own. I bought the door at Lowes or Home Depot. I dont recall the brand, it wasn't Phantom, but very similar, the installer for this area didn't want to do the job on a boat, and they wouldn't sell for DIY then. It worked fine for us and looked fine too, as far as I know it is still on the boat in Sweden. I did have to build up a frame around so it protruded about an inch or two into the salon but that was no problem. I made the frame out of PVC molding sold at those stores. The door comes too tall for most boats but is made to be cut to size with a miter saw. Not a difficult job but lots of measuring, cutting and fitting.

Attachments

• Screen door.jpg
    Screen door.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Screen door 3.jpg
    Screen door 3.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 117
Steve,
Thanks for the pics and explanation. On our boat the door has a 4+" frame inside so we will be able to mount within that space and not protrude into the salon. But your install looked great too. Thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom