Old 09-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Replacing teak decks and things

We are in the process of re-doing our decks! We have decided to do the decks a bit at a time, to lessen the stress on the deck itself. We started with the fore deck and removed the teak (we were not saving it so just pried it off as it was pretty loose!) We cut off the top layer of fiberglass and removed the wet core, and sanded lower layer of fiberglass smooth.
We have since put in high density foam "divinicell" (glued with core-bond and resin) and then filled with a filler to make level. Next step will be to fiberglass... however a wind storm decided to take our shelter away, so we had to fix that first!!

Here are a couple pics of work to date.
Attached Thumbnails
chb foredeck (15).jpg   chb foredeck no teak (1).JPG   chb fore deck foam fitting (2).JPG   chb screeting fore deck (5).JPG  
34 Europa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:47 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 Europa View Post
We are in the process of re-doing our decks! We have decided to do the decks a bit at a time, to lessen the stress on the deck itself. We started with the fore deck and removed the teak (we were not saving it so just pried it off as it was pretty loose!) We cut off the top layer of fiberglass and removed the wet core, and sanded lower layer of fiberglass smooth.
We have since put in high density foam "divinicell" (glued with core-bond and resin) and then filled with a filler to make level. Next step will be to fiberglass... however a wind storm decided to take our shelter away, so we had to fix that first!!

Very nice work. But you went to all that trouble and then reinstalled plywood right where you're going to have the most if not all of your deck penetrations!?
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Very nice work. But you went to all that trouble and then reinstalled plywood right where you're going to have the most if not all of your deck penetrations!?
True enough, however the support is needed for the Samson post etc. It is marine plywood, sealed and all joints around are sealed. Everything will be sealed up tight
Old 09-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #4
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:

Can you tell me how much time you have invested in the various steps on the foredeck job?
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hmm.. we have been working on it a little at a time... I would say two solid weekends (foredeck only) would get it done, once you have all your supplies on hand. It has not been "hard".. messy but not "hard". We are hoping to fiberglass this weekend.. we will see how that goes
Old 09-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #6
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan
Quote:
Hmm.. we have been working on it a little at a time... I would say two solid weekends (foredeck only) would get it done, once you have all your supplies on hand. It has not been "hard".. messy but not "hard". We are hoping to fiberglass this weekend.. we will see how that goes

That's somewhat encouraging. Thanks!

If I wind up keeping my boat (if I can't sell her) I'm torn between just running her until she drops or start investing the time and/or money into stopping all the leaks. I don't think stopping all the leaks will happen without a nearly complete rebuild of everything other than the hull!
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:50 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
34 Europa: Thanks for posting! Please keep the updates with pictures coming.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:20 PM   #8

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
34 Europa

Once you had the top glass and the old core out - how did you move about the deck - with only the bottom layer of glass- could you walk on that? PLUS how did/will you get the two levels to match - the old deck surrounding your cut and the new?
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Fl
Did you salvage the old topside skin?

I've seen that done and reused I read it was easier then installing a new glass deck, just feather in the edges.
Jimbo2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
34 Europa

Once you had the top glass and the old core out - how did you move about the deck - with only the bottom layer of glass- could you walk on that? PLUS how did/will you get the two levels to match - the old deck surrounding your cut and the new?
Firstly, we made a structure with walk around platform, so we could work on things without stepping on the boat (see pic below) We also supported the deck from below for strength and to keep the proper camber (we also have taken out the cabinetry in the v-berth allowing better access--- this needed to be done anyway, not just for the deck project) The lower layer of glass is thin, and we are not lol... so we made every attempt not to stand on it.

We left a 2" strip of fiberglass around the perimeter (but cleaned out the wet core) which also made a nice "shelf" if we needed to put a foot somewhere!
Attached Thumbnails
chb structure 2 (11).JPG   chb name removed (1).JPG  
Old 09-09-2015, 04:59 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo2015 View Post
Did you salvage the old topside skin?

I've seen that done and reused I read it was easier then installing a new glass deck, just feather in the edges.
No, we did not salvage the topside skin... way too many holes from the teak. We are going to put a new fiberglass deck ( 2-3 layers of 1708 and 1 layer of 1.5 oz chop strand). We will then finish with paint and non-skid.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sidney
What is your level of expertise with this and do you have professional help, guidance? Either way, good for you; I think it is a project many old teakers wonder about.

Also, why did you even start it and do you see the foredeck as being the easiest section?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:05 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
True enough, however the support is needed for the Samson post etc. It is marine plywood, sealed and all joints around are sealed. Everything will be sealed up tight
Although my 1981 IG surprised everyone having foam core decks under the teak planks, it had 2 squares of teak sandwich just fwd of the step up going to the bow, presumably for strength where everyone going fwd would step. That wood there was black, wet and soft. Careful sealing of the ply should work, fortunately it is a less trafficked area but it will take some loadings.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:13 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
It looks like you didn't just build the enclosure just to do the foredeck. lol. Is there a big plan?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Hi all,
So there are a few questions... We want to give a little background to us and out boat/project.

We wanted a trawler, but did not want to spend a ton of money. We are handy, (both my husband and I) and like to work hard, get dirty and save money if we can do it ourselves. We bought this boat in March of this year, knowing there were a few things we wanted/needed to fix/change. We have a lovely sheet in our office of "to do's" for the boat... quite extensive, but we feel nothing beyond our abilities.

We are fortunate to have the boat at home, so can work on it whenever the mood strikes, and we are not paying to have it on the hard in a ship yard.

As far as our expertise to complete such a project... My husband is a journeyman machinist (25 years), and grew up in a "carpentry" house and I am an "apprentice" we own our own business and have worked together for 18 years. We are analytical, and research projects the best we can before we start... and if something does not work, we try another approach.

We are by no means experts in anything we will do on this boat, but are more than happy to share the trials and tribulations of our endeavor. Also, we welcome comments, and input from others.. this is how we learn!!

Also, we are fortunate to have a friend who is a west coast fisherman, who is a wealth of knowledge..... we have a special red phone to call him lol.

Thanks for all the interest!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
It looks like you didn't just build the enclosure just to do the foredeck. lol. Is there a big plan?
Ya, it is kind of how we work, go big or go home.......We needed a place to work through the winter rains here!
Old 09-09-2015, 07:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
What is your level of expertise with this and do you have professional help, guidance? Either way, good for you; I think it is a project many old teakers wonder about.

Also, why did you even start it and do you see the foredeck as being the easiest section?
Thanks!

When we started looking at TT we noticed MANY of them had water issues inside, mostly caused by leaking decks. This one was no exception. There was not extensive damage inside, but there were leaks in the v-berth. The decks were very spongy and we were pretty certain that the core was either delaminating or rotting. It turns out the core was made of 5 x 5 square pieces of mahogany ply, that was delaminated and wet. To date, we have found no mold YAY). We believe that the cockpit area will be the same as the foredeck, but feel the side decks are firm and rigid. We will do core samples of this to test if we need to replace the core, or if we can just remove the teak and prep/paint.

We started at the foredeck, cause it is the front lol. Seriously though, we only wanted to do a section of the deck at a time (foredeck, cockpit and sides is the order we will do them in) as to decrease the stress on the thin layer of fiberglass that remains and holds up the cabin. This made sense to us
Old 09-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #18

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Malagari
Vessel Model: Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Europa 24

In your first post when you spoke about your shelter being blown away, I had visions of a plastic tarp strung up to cover the foredeck. When you guys say shelter - you are really fair dinkum!
Brisyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #19
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
I understand the support thing. It's just after all that hard work there are other rot proof products that could be used. Just say'n.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 11:46 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisyboy View Post
Europa 24

In your first post when you spoke about your shelter being blown away, I had visions of a plastic tarp strung up to cover the foredeck. When you guys say shelter - you are really fair dinkum!
Ya, we made sure it was good and sturdy structure, but a freak windstorm, ripped the grommets off one side of the tarp and of course it was starting to rain and the foredeck was exposed. All good though, we got it covered temporarily until we could re-do the cover. Cover has now been re-done and we can get back to work on the deck!!