Replacing site tubes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lgbert

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
OZ
Vessel Make
1998 Marine Trader Tradewinds
Need to replace my fuel site tubes on my MT. Have read what I could find but still have questions.
1. Where to obtain the correct tubing
2. Need clarification on exactly how to do correctly
3. Cannot find any step by step directions on the net, any links available.

Thanks,
Bert

I used plain old clear vinyl tubing from Home Depot...it's the thicker walled stuff and has lasted 2 years just fine.

I have shutoff valves on the bottom of my tank...shut them, take the old tubung off, cut new to length, reverse disassembly instructions.

Not sure how much MT would be different...nice glass ones with protectors and markings are available if you would like to upgrade....wasn't in my cards.

I used to use vinyl, but a surveyor said to replace with polycarbonate. Did so and it's pretty easy and lasts a long time. Stays clear too. Just use compression fittings to install it. I got the tubing at Mcmastercarr.com.

Bert,

I have had the same thoughts from time to time.
I know that several years ago, one of the old iron tanks was replaced with aluminum, and to many folks, they would hardly notice the difference, except the valves on the new sight tubes are Much easier to use.(cannot find the pics)
I am guessing that the tubes were replaced on both sides at the time as they look to be in identical condition.(wish they replaced the darn valves!)

My concern has been more for protection. I would like to add a protective sleeve or guard around them. They work great, and I love having them. AYBC be danged!

Anyway, to your point, for things mechanical like this, my first go-to source is McMaster Carr. Good resource, product, price, and great service. Also, pretty good reference info as well.

McMaster-Carr

Good luck. Be sure to let us know how it goes and send Pics.

Attachments

• MMC Tubing.JPG
    MMC Tubing.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 104
Considering how they only hold a cup of diesel and I leave the valves shut than vinyl...I'm not too worried what a surveyor thinks...other than if it stays clear longer. At a couple dollars to replace both and that I can pick it up in any hardware or big box store...vinyl is OK with me.

If I didn't have shut offs or left them open all the time...I would be a lot more cautious.

I take the top of the vinyl tube off first, then blow into it, to force the diesel back into the tanks through the bottom fitting. Then shut the lower valve so the tube stays empty. Take off the stained tube and replace it in no time.

I take the top of the vinyl tube off first, then blow into it, to force the diesel back into the tanks through the bottom fitting. Then shut the lower valve so the tube stays empty. Take off the stained tube and replace it in no time.

Great tip!

Considering how they only hold a cup of diesel and I leave the valves shut than vinyl...I'm not too worried what a surveyor thinks...other than if it stays clear longer. At a couple dollars to replace both and that I can pick it up in any hardware or big box store...vinyl is OK with me.

If I didn't have shut offs or left them open all the time...I would be a lot more cautious.

Of course you can ignore your surveyor's recommendations to you insurance company. Then in the case of any loss, they will reject your claim because you didn't fix the "deficiency".

It's not a deficiency because you could take the tubes off and just have the valves as "drains"....

The surveyor's recommendations are usually only taken to heart by insurance companies if in the "safety" category...and that one could easily be discussed and changed with a supervisior as I have done many times....as it's hardly a safety issue.

Plus if you do chose to ignore...and if you have an insurance "loss" from the type of tube you have as a sight gauge that only gets used 2 seconds a day when you check fuel...well then...will you be one of the chosen few (have NEVER heard of a "loss" from one)....

I am glad the surveyor's I have had were only bad...not unreasonable.

Back
Top Bottom