Old 11-25-2010, 08:24 AM   #41
Guru

City: AR
RE: Replacing the Holding Tank Starting Tomorrow-Wish Me luck!

HI Jen...congratulations on a job well done! As always around here, you got a lot of advice and opinions, some of which was even GOOD advice!

Hope y'all are having a good T'giving!

Peggie (out of town TFN)

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #42
FF
Guru

"Algae build up"

What makes you think its ALGAE? That lives at the fuel/water interface in your tank?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #43
Guru

Replacing the Holding Tank Starting Tomorrow-Wish Me luck!

"The hassle with a top outlet is the macerator or pump out pump must be in perfect operating condition as it must be able to create a vacume."

!
Fred.......that's sheer nonsense. EVERY tank pumps out from the bottom. So if the discharge fitting is at the bottom of the tank, the entire length of the discharge hose from the discharge fitting to the deck pumpout fitting is outside the the tank. If the fitting is on the top of the tank, there's a pickup tube inside the tank that connects to a hose that goes the rest of the way to the deck pumpout fitting. So when it comes to the macerator or pumpout, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER THE PUMPOUT LINE IS INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE TANK!!

And as for drains ON the bottoms of tanks...that won't work unless the entire tank is above the waterline.*

Ya gotta love Fred and RT...cuz without 'em this place would be SO dull!

-- Edited by HeadMistress on Friday 26th of November 2010 08:48:44 PM
Old 11-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #44
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Aw c'mon HM, I'm not even on the same page as FF.* Cut me some slack here would ya.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #45
Scraping Paint

City: -

For a somewhat different perspective on the topic of "algae" in diesel fuel, here is part of a post I came across on a forum for long-haul truckers. The topic of the discussion was not unlike what we have on boating forums--- the issue of algae forming in the water/fuel interface in fuel tanks. According to the writer--- and numerous other ones on similar forums I've looked at--- the notion of "algae" growing in the water that can get into a fuel tank via leakage or condensation and feeding off the fuel is not what is actually happening.

-----------------------

"Saying that what is referred to as "algae" is created by condensation is totally incorrect. Diesel fuel that is left to stagnate in tanks (in as little as 60-90 days) breaks down much like gasoline does and creates the "algae" or silty crud at the bottoms of tanks. The black, gooey, stringy stuff that occurs after sitting for long periods of time is actually the results of the fuel breaking down. That slime is actually paraffin wax and asphaltenes. It is more prevalent in today's fuel as a result of the refining process. There is actually no live algae growing, as Winslow said, although bacteria and microbes do help accelerate the breakdown process.
The algacides actually break up this mess and break it down so it can be filtered out.

Condensation in any tanks creates a big problem because the water cannot be atomized and burned in a diesel engine. Boaters keep their fuel tanks full to avoid the condensation water which does major harm to the injectors and internal engine components such as heads, pistons, bearings, etc., and unlike vehicles, there's nowhere to pull over when your out to sea and the engines quit."

------------------------
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #46
Enigma

Hiya,
** Algae is a plant and needs sunlight to grow.* The "growth" in fuel tanks*is bacteria which lives in the water and feeds off the oil.* As with any living organism, the bacteria eventually die and if enough are present in the tank, can form a large biomass which will clog filters.* That, coupled with what Mr. Marin just posted, is just one more thing to watch out for.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #47
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

RT*- Even HM has you pegged.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #48
Enigma

Pegged????**
Old 11-27-2010, 09:33 AM   #49
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
Marin wrote:Condensation in any tanks creates a big problem because the water cannot be atomized and burned in a diesel engine. Boaters keep their fuel tanks full to avoid the condensation water which does major harm to the injectors and internal engine components such as heads, pistons, bearings, etc., and unlike vehicles, there's nowhere to pull over when your out to sea and the engines quit."
RTF is absolutely correct about it not being algae. There are plenty of posts on this site about that issue ... several of them by me so they must be true.

Condensation provides the water that bacteria (not algae - algae is a plant that requires light to live) need to thrive. Fuel does break down and produce asphaltenes which accumulate on the tank bottom and on the mat of bacterial colonies.

Water will atomize nicely and actually helps reduce some of the environmental negatives of diesel combustion. Unfortunately, diesel fuel systems are not designed to handle contaminated water and the injectors will corrode and sieze very rapidly when water is admitted to the system.

You have the entire ocean in which to "pull over" at sea.* Would much rather have an engine failure at sea than in a truck on the I-5.*

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:57 AM   #50
FF
Guru

"If the fitting is on the top of the tank, there's a pickup tube inside the tank that connects to a hose that goes the rest of the way to the deck pumpout fitting. So when it comes to the macerator or pumpout, IT DOESN'T MATTER WHETHER THE PUMPOUT LINE IS INSIDE OR OUTSIDE THE TANK!!"

I'll use smaller words.

There is seldom a problem wit pumpouts that are done DOCKSIDE with commercial equipment.

These are frequently Obendorfer 120V pumps and are flushed after most uses.

The hassle comes from the cruiser that wishes to use an on board pump to discharge "offshore".

Here either the pump must be located down low , so it stays wet inside , as mounting a typical boat or RV maceriator or diaphram pump is fraught with risk.

IF it is above the tank, at least its easy to get to to service, but the diaphram units do poorly at inital lifting , and most macerators are limited to 4 ft vertically for suction.

Just as boat stuff comes in multiple quality levels RV equipment is similar.

For the critical shut off valve at the bottom of a tank , the Dupree valve setup would be my first choice,.

For the pumpout pump either the Obendorfer or Galley Maid , will frequently run decades .

IF 12V Yachty stuff is chosen , at least feed it with #6 or #8 wire and a 20-30A circuitbreaker.

-- Edited by FF on Monday 29th of November 2010 06:01:05 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 06:38 AM   #51
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Two comments, one on each recent point, both from experience, one bitter, one good.
FF is right in that most macerator pumps which allegedly will self-prime to at least a metre, in fact don't - not if left for any time in my experience anyway. My TMC was suposed to do so, and is only mounted about a foot above the outlet from my holding tank, but unless used very recently I have to prime it by routing some water back down the outlet to the pump first, before it will pump out.
The second point is to support Daddyo re the virtues of bottom take-off of fuel lines from tank. Yes, the constant shaking up and the fact any dirt or water is sucked out constantly means it just does not accumulate. How do I know? Well, I often commit the sin of only having my tanks half full, (or less, as diesel is dear here ($Aus 1.50 a litre = $US6 per US gal), and even so, I rarely drain more than a teaspoonful of water from the separator in the primary filter, and I have only changed the actual filters once in 7 yrs, because each time I check them they look too clean, and I'm very much an "if it ain't broke don't fix it kinda guy. The engine has never missed a beat in all that time. Do we have cleaner diesel here in Oz than you in the US - I think not...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Peter B wrote:FF is right in that most macerator pumps which allegedly will self-prime to at least a metre, in fact don't - not if left for any time in my experience anyway. My TMC was suposed to do so, and is only mounted about a foot above the outlet from my holding tank, but unless used very recently I have to prime it by routing some water back down the outlet to the pump first, before it will pump out.
Most likely that's not because the pump can't prime, but because the impeller must be freed up first.*

Waste is sticky...so when a macerator pump is left to sit for any extended time without first rinsing it out, the impeller sticks to the housing...sometimes stuck tightly enough to break a vane before it lets go.*

Trying routing some clean fresh water down the outlet through the pump immediately after using it and I THINK you'll find that it will have no trouble priming the next time you use it.* I would definitely rinse out the tank and pump very thoroughly in preparation for winter layup.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #53
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

I have the same problem. Even with new impellers mine often requires priming. It is such a common problem I am considering adding a T in the discharge line so I can prime easily.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 AM   #54
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
HeadMistress wrote:
Trying routing some clean fresh water down the outlet through the pump immediately after using it and I THINK you'll find that it will have no trouble priming the next time you use it.

When we installed a new aft holding tank I modified the plumbing to include a short stand-pipe with a removable cap that I pour a gallon or so of fresh water into and run it though the standard Jabsco macerator pump after every cruise on which we use the pump.* I have no idea if this is helping but we've had the boat for over twelve years now--- we installed a new pump right after buying the boat and I just had to install a replacement a month or so ago.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:30 AM   #55
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
HeadMistress wrote:Most likely that's not because the pump can't prime, but because the impeller must be freed up first.*

Waste is sticky...so when a macerator pump is left to sit for any extended time without first rinsing it out, the impeller sticks to the housing...sometimes stuck tightly enough to break a vane before it lets go.*

Trying routing some clean fresh water down the outlet through the pump immediately after using it and I THINK you'll find that it will have no trouble priming the next time you use it.* I would definitely rinse out the tank and pump very thoroughly in preparation for winter layup.
Thanks for the suggestion Peggy, but I do let clean water siphon back thru the pump after the pump-out, being below the water line, and not having (needing) a bleed/anti-syphon valve I can do this, and the pump is definitely spinning, not jammed when it fails to self-prime.
I have set things up so I can send open and close valves to allow a quick flush back down the outlet line to the pump and that fixes it - it's just annoying to have to mess about doing it, that's all.* Oh, and of course important to re-set all the valves back the right way after doing it of course.* Oh, and by the way - not to rub it in, but we don't have an 'off' season here.* We boat all year round - like in Florida.

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 5th of December 2010 05:35:30 AM
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #56
Guru

How old is the pump? When, if ever, was the impeller replaced last?* The edges of the vanes do wear over time, from dry friction till the pump primes. It's such even wear, with no sign of heat that a visual inspection won't reveal it...but as the edges wear just microscopically the pump becomes less and less efficient, 'causing the pump to take longer and longer to prime, wearing the impellers more... till finally it the impeller can no longer pull (impel) anything through it.* Letting the pump run even for a short time after the tank is empty accelerates the wear.

So impellers really should be replaced as preventive maintenance at least every 2-3 years...annually if the pump is used a lot.* Which is one more good reason to spend the extra money for a diaphragm pump...'cuz it only takes a few impellers to run the cost of an impeller pump up to more than the price of a diaphragm pump.

And while YOU may be able to use your boat all year long, not everyone reading this discussion can.* Years ago I read it was estimated* that for every forum discussion participant, there were at least 10,000 anonymous lurkers who never register or ever say a single word.* While I can't vouch for the validity of that number, I 'd bet real money that there's at least one person reading this who does lay his or her boat up each winter. I try to write for them too.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:12 PM   #57
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

HEH HEH, Not called Headmistress for nothing
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #58
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Tidahapah
Vessel Model: Bert Ellis Timber motor cruiser

Well now that I have the engine out of the boat I am going down the path of replacing my sewage system.
Took delivery of my Electro Scan today (7 day delivery feom Defender in USA)
I am off to see the the Atlas tank people tomorrow to make a new holding tank.
probably about 140 lts (35 gal)
This can all go in whilst I have some space .
The system I had in was an Auto San system made here in Qld and has never been a complete success. Very smelly mostly to do with the lack of air flow but I did have 2 x 1" vents on the tank. This system was a metered chlorine injection type.
Have removed the old holding tank (very stinky business) and cleaned up the corner.
Good clean work from here on in.

Peggy with the discharge from the Electro Scan going to a holding tank will it require cross flow ventilation or will the discharge liquid be smell free.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 02:10 AM   #59

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler

Benn

I have a Lectrasan on Nevia and when I fitted the holding tank I fitted a vent however there is more smell coming from the shower tank than from the toilet system

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #60
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Peggy: What you say about wear on the impeller sounds a lot like, "don't think you can actually use that pump to self-prime, as you are wearing out the impeller if you do".
I tried self-priming when mine was just out of the box. It didn't even do it then, so I moved it to be level with the Holding tank outlet. problem solved.

I am considering replacing the tank with one that is installed above the water line, then for an at sea discharge, I can let gravity do the work, eliminating the above noted problems.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote