Old 11-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #21
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
RE: Replacing the Holding Tank Starting Tomorrow-Wish Me luck!

If you do need another discharge pump, I too recommend the Sealand pump.
I've had both, the Sealand is far better - 10 yrs now.
I had a spare macerator and decided against it and glad I did.

I also have an electronic cooking timer which I set when I turn on the discharge pump so I don't forget to turn it off. Can't hear the pump over the engine but i can hear the timer.

C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:23 PM   #22
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Replacing the Holding Tank Starting Tomorrow-Wish Me luck!

Quote:
C lectric wrote:

I also have an electronic cooking timer which I set when I turn on the discharge pump so I don't forget to turn it off. Can't hear the pump over the engine but i can hear the timer.
Inexpensive wind up timers like the ones for bathroom fans work well too.* Set it and forget it.* As for Lectrasan's, my experience was none too good. I started with a new one. They are VERY voltage sensitive to low and high voltage.* I fried one computer board ($$$) when I equalized my batteries.* And despite having massive supply wires to keep the voltage up, I had a lot of trouble with the electrode pack ($$$) and got it replaced under warranty once. They recommend flushing with acid to fix the plates, and I followed the directions exactly.* They got better for a while, but then another control board went bad.* I replaced it again and the unit worked fine until I discovered one day that one of the mixer motors was loose, and when the unit was cycled, it spun until the wires stopped it.* Turns out the mounting screws were corroded out.* That was it, I ripped the thing out (after swearing to my wife I would fix it).* Well, when I took it apart it clearly needed a new motor($$$)* So,* I'll make you a good deal on one that about 4 years old, and has a lot of new parts, but needs a motor.............Arctictraveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Sunday 21st of November 2010 08:25:31 PM

Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35

Quote:
Arctic Traveller wrote:

* So,* I'll make you a good deal on one that about 4 years old, and has a lot of new parts, but needs a motor.............Arctictraveller

Hmm maybe I'll see how htings go with the new tank before I change anything else!

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:27 AM   #24

City: Tin Can Bay, Queensland, Australia
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee, Trawler

Jennifer

Don't forget to put a valve on the discharge port of the tank in case the pump packs it in and you need to change it with a full tank

Allan
AllanY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:12 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
AllanY wrote:

Jennifer

Don't forget to put a valve on the discharge port of the tank in case the pump packs it in and you need to change it with a full tank

Allan
Bugger.!.... oh wait...no, it's ok.* I have a Jabsco Y valve upstream of the pump for diverting to the deck pump out.* That woud do the same job.....thank goodness.

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:59 AM   #26
FF
Guru

The best waste pumps I have seen are the Galley Maid.

In 120V with a water line to slurry better they seem to run for decades.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #27
TF Site Team

Quote:
AllanY wrote:

Jennifer

Allan
I could just use the pump out so no need for a valve???* They each have their own top mounted discharge port.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

I could just use the pump out so no need for a valve???* They each have their own top mounted discharge port.

That would work, but lets say you are*working on the pump,*if you have the valve, you can still use the head.* With out the valve you'll be using a bucket till the pump is fixed.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #29
TF Site Team

Quote:
Larry M wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:
That would work, but lets say you are*working on the pump,*if you have the valve, you can still use the head.* With out the valve you'll be using a bucket till the pump is fixed.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX
Hmm I guess I am not following.** The discharge outlets are on the top of the tank so require something to suck the waste out, it isn't just going to run out.* Right now the macerator is not connected and the outlet is capped off.** I can do the same again if I ever needed to disconnect the macerator to work on it???* I doubt we will ever use the macerator anyway.* We are only bothering to hook it back up "because it is there."

Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:

Larry M wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX
Hmm I guess I am not following.** The discharge outlets are on the top of the tank so require something to suck the waste out, it isn't just going to run out.* Right now the macerator is not connected and the outlet is capped off.** I can do the same again if I ever needed to disconnect the macerator to work on it???* I doubt we will ever use the macerator anyway.* We are only bothering to hook it back up "because it is there."

My mistake.* I didn't realise the outlet for your macerator is at the top of the tank.*
Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX*
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #31
TF Site Team

Quote:
Larry M wrote:My mistake.* I didn't realise the outlet for your macerator is at the top of the tank.*

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
La Cruz, Nayarit, MX*
Ok thanks Larry I thought I was missing something!* We decided to go with the outlets on top at Peggy's suggestion.* We hope they do allow for more complete emptying as advertised--it makes sense that they would.* With the old nine gallon tank there was always at least as gallon left in it.*

Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #32
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48

No valve, no problem. Just go to your nearby pumpout and empty and flush the tank. And in Alaska or the South Seas, the nearest pumpout is only - a day or five *trip away?? Oh Oh.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:31 PM   #33
TF Site Team

Quote:
sunchaser wrote:

No valve, no problem. Just go to your nearby pumpout and empty and flush the tank. And in Alaska or the South Seas, the nearest pumpout is only - a day or five *trip away?? Oh Oh.
LOL luckily we are in the SF bay and there are pumpouts everywhere!* Not planning on going far afield in this boat.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:41 AM   #34
FF
Guru

The hassle with a top outlet is the macerator or pump out pump must be in perfect operating condition as it must be able to create a vacume.

Almost all the diaphram pumps will fail at this as the pump is usually not flushed after each discharge , so the tinyest piece of paper may keep the intake flapper from the perfect seal.

IT can be done to create an easy flush system for clearing the discharge system , but it required a bit of extra plumbing and procedures..

A different simple solution would be to overfill the waste tank an hour before pumping , which would wet the discharge pump and remove the lift requirement.

The RV industry has excellent valves that can be installed in the bottom of the tank, so removing (twist off) to repair a pump would be somewhat easier.

The 120V macerators are far better than the 12V , even with #8 wiring.

The Galley Maid (about $1200) has a flush water inlet , but the initial price is hard to justify , untill you clear rebuild a dozen cheap units underway
Old 11-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #35
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace

I don't understand why all tanks (fuel,water,waste) don't have the outlet in a sump at the lowest possible level. The crud can never happen if your pumping from the bottom, every other solution only creates problems that don't need to exist in the first place. When I pump out the holding I want to pump out the holding. I don't want a single ounce of "stuff" in there. When I filter the fuel I don't want to filter only what's above the bottom 10 gallons. If the fuel isn't sitting at the bottom then you'll never have crud in the first place.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #36
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr daddyo.* I think Mr. FF has covered that question several times.* The reason for no bottom drain is the builder wanted to save a few bucks and didn't care about future maintenence problems/issues for the owner.
RT Firefly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 AM   #37
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Daddyo wrote:

I don't understand why all tanks (fuel,water,waste) don't have the outlet in a sump at the lowest possible level. The crud can never happen if your pumping from the bottom, every other solution only creates problems that don't need to exist in the first place. When I pump out the holding I want to pump out the holding. I don't want a single ounce of "stuff" in there. When I filter the fuel I don't want to filter only what's above the bottom 10 gallons. If the fuel isn't sitting at the bottom then you'll never have crud in the first place.
I agree with the holding tank and maybe even the water but not with the fuel.* Cars and trucks are like boats and the reason is that the dirt or water will*foul the filters right away and strand you out in BFE.* Now I know that folks get stranded on both land and sea but if they really did there maintenance as needed that wouldn't happen except in the rare occasion.**But if you think about how much stuff has to be in there to*foul the filter it gives you an idea as to how long folks let the regular maintenance go with out any attention given to the tanks at all.

JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 04:56 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace

I've got to disagree. remember we're talking about tanks that are drawing from the very bottom in the first place, because of this there isn't going to be any stuff. The stuff only occurs because we have fuel coagulating on the bottom of the tanks. If you are drawing from the top down with a standard tank then you've got stuff at the bottom of the tank that becomes "in suspension" in a trying sea state. If you've ever been in these conditions and have a vacuum gauge on your filter/s then you can see what mixing up this stuff does. It is a recipe for engine shut down unless you have multiple filters and or fuel polishing. With the true bottom pick up there are no rough sea surprises.
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:45 AM   #39
FF
Guru

My complaint is not the need for a simple bottom drain plug.

This will help , but not cure the fuel/ water interface where the problems start.

I want to see a SUMP, think of a coffee can built into the bottom of the tank that can be pumped , or drained as part of the PM or pre sail.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #40
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Replacing the Holding Tank Starting Tomorrow-Wish Me luck!

Quote:
Daddyo wrote:

I've got to disagree. remember we're talking about tanks that are drawing from the very bottom in the first place, because of this there isn't going to be any stuff. The stuff only occurs because we have fuel coagulating on the bottom of the tanks. If you are drawing from the top down with a standard tank then you've got stuff at the bottom of the tank that becomes "in suspension" in a trying sea state. If you've ever been in these conditions and have a vacuum gauge on your filter/s then you can see what mixing up this stuff does. It is a recipe for engine shut down unless you have multiple filters and or fuel polishing. With the true bottom pick up there are no rough sea surprises.
At the risk of being like some others here.**In a fuel tank*you are not drawing from the top down.* You are*drawing from the bottom, all be it an inch or so from the bottom it is the bottom, just not the very bottom.* The "stuff" you refer to is also on the sides of your tank as well as the bottom.* It is the dead bodies of the Algae that thrive in warm Diesel fuel.* So heavy sea action will set it free from the sides as well as the bottom.

So I don't agree that with a true bottom pick up that you will not have a problem in heavy seas.* Even FF's sump (which I like for water and sediment collection)*will still have the Algae build up if the fuel is not treated properly or is not*a high consumption boat with a lot of turn over.* A day tank system for instance will not have the problem of the residue collecting because of the high turn over rate.

And yes I think there is nothing like the two filter system with the capability of switching while under way.

Just my opinion.

-- Edited by JD on Thursday 25th of November 2010 08:11:50 AM

JD is offline   Reply With Quote