Old 03-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #1

City: St James City Fl
Vessel Name: Paradox
Vessel Model: Mainship
Replacement parts

How often to replace or rebuild major wear items? Water pumps for the engine coolant, not the seawater pump. Injectors? Injector pump? Alternator bearings and brushes?
With Volvo Penta Tamd 60C 1985 models but only 1500 hours I wonder what is your replacement timeline or do you wait for on the road failure?

Thanks for all, except those weird answers one gets where you think "Did they even read the question?"
Autoteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
When I repowered with TAMD41s at 1500 hours, my mechanic recommended pulling the injectors and sending them in to be tested or rebuilt.
At about 3000 hours both raw water pumps were shot, at 6000 hrs both exhaust mixing elbows were shot (these had gone 4500 hrs before the repower). Heat Exchangers were dismantled and cleaned at 1500 and actually needed it. No idea when to look at the coolant pumps. The injector pump is a hugely expensive item, so I would wait for a symptom before rebuilding.
I would expect your Volvos to be the same.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I both inspect these items and watch for symptoms that are caused by them, but I do not replace anything proactively other than filters, impeller and probably the transmission oil cooler soon.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Many boat engines have an auto or truck daddy.

For wear estimates 50miles is worth about 1hour of boating.

Engine hours are of less concern than storage between uses.

I would love to mfg. A fogging spray that can be used from the helm.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 12:14 PM   #5
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I both inspect these items and watch for symptoms that are caused by them, but I do not replace anything proactively other than filters, impeller and probably the transmission oil cooler soon.

David
I have done the same, for 6500 hours on my 26-footer's Volvo KAD44P. No transmission on this sterndrive boat.

Replaced the seawater pump at 5200 hours, probably could have rebuilt it. Replaced the exhaust elbow at 4100 hours. Have not touched injectors, injector pump, or internal coolant pump.

Replaced Balmar 912-75 alternator brushes at 1500, 2100, and 3200 hours (no idea why brushes needed it), and have not had to touch them since.
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I rebuild my coolant pumps as long as the shaft is good. I carry accessory spares, pumps, alternators, etc. I change the pump shaft seals when I don't know the history and then every few years. I change alternator bearings long before they go. Seals, bearings, etc., I get online. Depco pump if the part is hard to find. I have Detroit mains. Absolutely everything on them was designed to be rebuilt in the field. I pull the rubber impellers a couple times a year for inspection and reinstall with water proof grease everywhere they rub. I still have 2011 impellers in generators and mains. I occasionally check ebay for reuseable/rebuildable spares. I have room to store and have almost everything backed up by a self rebuilt spare. I most cases, I can swap out in 15 minutes.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 07:42 AM   #7
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
As far as the raw water pump. Usually when sea water and or rust starts collecting under it from the shaft seal it is time for a new one.
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote