Old 02-17-2016, 05:32 PM   #21
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 717. Sorry I have to kindly disagree with your bamboo statement. "Bamboo, no grain issue." A bamboo skewer DOES have grain that runs end to end likewise commercial dowel material. One can witness the bamboo grain when one breaks off the skewer. The broken end looks like paint brush bristles.

I do agree they are very strong and hard and the fibers are densely packed parallel to the length. Home made dowels or plugs cut with a plug cutter do have grain running in the opposite direction (right angles to the length).
I know what your saying, but my practical experience showed me they grab and do not tear out. Not being wood, they are a grass, somehow their fibers hold screws. I used them plenty. I was even able to fill up a half inch hole in a plank to hold bronze wood screws, and when cranking down, it pulled the large piece of wood tight and the power drill was stopped. That was on a low down mahogany spray - splash rail into mahogany planks.

My feeling is the screw threads hold because bamboo fibers stick together better than wood fibers, screw thread may be cutting the fibers rather than wedging-splitting the fibers. Wood fiber end grain your wedging in a screw which splits wood fivers apart. Then the screw is loose.

I made plenty of plugs with proper grain orientation to repair stripped holes over the years.
The bamboo worked as well and is a lot easier on me.

It was a big surprise to me how well the bamboo worked.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:00 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 717. Hard to argue with experience. Point taken.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:03 PM   #23
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Here's method #16:

Drill the hole out for a threaded insert, then use a machine screw.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:46 PM   #24

City: Ft Lauderdale
Vessel Model: 120' Custom, Cat 3512's, 1750 HP ea.
A variation of the dowel arrangement, I carry bags of various sizes of wood furniture dowels. Furniture dowels are usually either fluted or spiral grooved hardwood so readily accept glue and are available in most common sizes for quick repairs.
BerettaRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:14 PM   #25
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
Did your repair work ??? I rest my case.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #26
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Lightly pack screw hole with lead wool, then reinsert screw.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:16 PM   #27
Guru

City: St Augustine,Fl
Whats lead wool?
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor of Fortune View Post
Whats lead wool?
It comes from a sheep which acts as a flock leader.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:12 PM   #29
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
It comes from a sheep which acts as a flock leader.
boatpoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #30
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Lead Wool 5 pounds - SLATE ROOF WAREHOUSE
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #31
Guru

Analog of steel or brass wool. Usually sells in 5# chunks at big box stores for $5-6/#. Roofers and historic resto contractors use it a good bit like a caulk. Handy stuff. A little goes a long way for most uses.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #32

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
It is used to manufacture heavy weight sweaters and socks.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:49 AM   #33
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Boy! That's what a site like this is good for! I knew of lead wool as specified in 1920's architectural publications like 'The White Pine Series' and the first couple editions of 'Architectural Graphic Standards'. Practiced architecture for decades and never saw the stuff even mentioned.

I doubt that you could get it into screw holes. Not even I could ever use enough to justify purchasing 5lbs.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #34
Guru

There's NO DOUBT about inserting into screw holes. Maybe you should give it a shot before opining. Use a toothpick/matchstick - whatever's handy and size appropriate. Take a bit of wool, gently work it into the hole without fully compressing, until full, reinsert screw. I've used this many times over the years, for very small up to, I guess, 1/4". Results (if there's enough sound surrounding material matrix) in a secure fastener that lasts a long time.

I actually inherited my little wood box of the stuff from my grandfather in the 70s. A little goes a long way for such use. Devised by people who had little and needed to make do.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #35
Guru

[There's NO DOUBT about inserting into screw holes. Maybe you should give it a shot before opining. Use a toothpick/matchstick - whatever's handy and size appropriate.] You can have NO idea how clumsy I am!

[I actually inherited my little wood box of the stuff from my grandfather in the 70s.] The best stuff comes that way.

[Devised by people who had little and needed to make do.] Lead has been around a long time. Fiberous calking has been around a long time.

I Googled, wondering how lead wool was made. Some hits: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_wool ; even the Despot says they carry it (but not at the store near me): 5 lb. Lead Wool-B13652 - The Home Depot ; A page from 1906 Popular Mechanics suggesting the stuff was new then: https://books.google.com/books?id=YN...20wool&f=false ; a seller's page: lead wool, Chemical grade lead, caulking lead -

And, it's apparently the stuff in the radiation blankets used, for instance, when you're having your teeth X-rayed.

Did not find out how it was made, though.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #36
Guru

DHeckrotte:

The lead wool was kept around for precisely the purpose of repairing screw fasteners that had worked loose as we're discussing. If the threads arent completely gone, it works (sometimes) on metal as a poor mans helicoil. Also for slip-fit plumbing joints, although the wool was an expensive way to finish the seal as opposed to lead strips. Yeah, my hillbilly forebears knew and used oakum and other fiber products as appropriate.

Unlike steel, copper, and brass wools that are essentially wire pulled through a die to "shave" two sides of the wire to forming several long planar elements, lead does not have the tensile strength for such processing. Instead, circular plates of lead are cast. These plates are then rotated on a turntable while a pointed tool (similar to metal lathe turning tools) engages the lead surface (think of a vinyl record player), creating long planar shavings. Width of tool end and depth setting produces the "gage" of the wool.
Old 03-03-2016, 04:55 PM   #37
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I'll bet it's hard to find in the EU. With RoHS getting the lead out of everything, I suspect lead is hard to market over there and perhaps here in the U.S.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #38
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
I guess that if you didn't have lead wool, bits of electronics rosin core solder would work too.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #39
Guru

SBU, what kind of PE are you? I'm the only white sheep in a family full of engineers.

Interesting/fascinating info re: making lead wool. I could not quite imagine that you could draw lead as is normal for brass, steel, etc.

Getting back on track for the original post, here is a pic of my current screw hole repair effort. See more on my 'Lazarette Hatch' post.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-03-03 LazaretteHatch 001.jpg