Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 AM   #21
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilge53 View Post
The joint needs to be mechanically drawn together; not dowels. "Glue" is just that; it is not intended to fill the joint unless in a structural design and prepared for that purpose.
Clamps. I thought that would be obvious. By the time one made room for nuts and washers and plugs to cover bolt heads, there wouldn't be much wood thickness left to hold together.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:22 AM   #22
Guru

City: kemah
I wonder if you could do what the flooring folks do. Use some teak sanding/sawdust and mix it in some clear epoxy and fill the gap with it.

what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:44 AM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. w. Well, whatever you do you WILL have to clean out that joint, soooo....Pop the bung(s) on the top (overlying) piece and take the screw(s) out. It/they don't appear to be doing anything at this point anyway AND it will facilitate a blade running along the whole mating surface. I suggest running a hacksaw blade through the slot and cutting out whatever is currently in there already to the level of your fiberglass.

Now would be a good time to fill the screw holes that go into your gunwale top as you're going to put those previously removed screws back in and re-bung. A whole thread on TF, somewhere....ahem..."discussing" the "best" method.

OK, Area prepped and ready to go with whatever you decide. IF you decide epoxy/glue of some sort, fill the crack, put as many clamps as you can fit in, put in those screws before the epoxy kicks off, clean up your dribbles and have a brewski. IF you decide to go the all caulk route, caulk, put in the screw(s), clean up the dribbles and have a brewski. OR you could do a combination of both and...yup...

Remember to mask all non-active areas and put down some drop sheet.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #24
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Going to be hard to clamp that, not much to hold on to. As others state, the joint must be cleaned out of all old glues etc, then the gap filled with thickened epoxy, you can use teak dust or micro-balloons for thickening. When clean, paint a thin coat of epoxy first, let set for a bit before filling the rest with the thick stuff, get a better bond that way. Tough part will be closing the gap, as the screws probably wont do it unless its real springy. You might try weight, lead bars or whatever to bring it down. Clamps are best of course but may be tough. If you have a guard below that could be used with a pipe clamp, that might help. Or if you have a deck opening near by that could be used with a clamp and board over the top as leverage to pull it down enough to hold it with more weight. Some ingenuity may be called for.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #25
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Since there is nothing to clamp to, you're not going to get under it to add a plate and the joint has not lifted (at least from what I can see in the pictures anyway) clean the joint out to about 1/4" deep or so, fill with epoxy or 5200, repeat if necessary, let set well, sand, varnish and move on.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #26
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Since there is nothing to clamp to, you're not going to get under it to add a plate and the joint has not lifted (at least from what I can see in the pictures anyway) clean the joint out to about 1/4" deep or so, fill with epoxy or 5200, repeat if necessary, let set well, sand, varnish and move on.
Yup!
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:04 AM   #27
Guru

City: Sydney
Clean the joint with a Japanese type saw use "West Systems" to glue sections and brass screw for a mechanical hold .
Over size drill the hole so they can be plugged with dowel .
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:08 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sydney
PS Hate my iPad
gaston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:14 AM   #29
FF
Guru

It sucks to work with but a PL style glue would also work .

Gorilla Glue is the expen$ive version.

PL advantage is it "foams" -expands to fill the joint , so its easier to get 100% 2 surface contact.

A long wooden clamp would hold for curing , and adding a plate , glued on, would not be hard as PL sticks to metal and wood.

Get rubber gloves as it stains fingers "forever".
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #30
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Use bronze or stainless fasteners, not brass.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 02:01 PM   #31
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Epoxy and all the other super glues won't allow movement. This is a flexable joint and flexible sealers must be used.

There are basically two kinds. Those that adhere and those that don't. What one uses depends on how much movement there will be. If small enough movement then adhering sealer will do. Perhaps a sealer-adhesive. But in this case metal fasteners are holding the parts together so adhesion is not needed. Whatever you put in there just needs to keep the water out. Dolphinite would be fine but probably would ooze out on a hot day or even a warm day and there would be "ooze" everywhere.

I'd find something like Dolphinite that is much like peanut butter and fill the joint w it. Then put something over the outside seam that will always be dry to touch. The two seam fillers must be compatible w each other.

This should be kinda like caulking a hull plank seam. Put something on the inside of the seam (like oakum) to keep the water out of the hull and something on the outside to keep the oakum in and isolate the oakum so it won't fall out, get torn out or come in contact w other boats (rubber duckies) fenders or even human hands.

My joints on the cap rail are close enough that there is little movement. So I use an adhesive sealant ... Sika-Flex 291.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71166 copy.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	50935   Click image for larger version

Name:	STH71162 copy.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	50936  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:14 AM   #32
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Remove the old fasteners. Saw the faying surfaces of the joint clean. Mask everything within distance of dribble; it's gonna' be awful! Work neat epoxy into the joint and the splits and follow up with thickened epoxy. Clamp with ballast; perhaps you can span across the joint with a chunk of 2x6 supported on the adjacent deck and load the whole thing more heavily and safely. Let cure. Replace the fastenings; where they were in too-thin parts of the scarpf, use Teak dowels epoxied in. (The scarphs on the toe rails of our 1970 LeComte North East 38 were doweled at the feather ends and the normal bunged bronze bolts passed through the middle.) Replace the screws/bolts and bung. The only reasons to repair this non-structural joint is to keep water from lifting the varnish and to prevent rot from starting within the joint where the wood would always be wet.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:25 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Fairhope
Vessel Name: Waterfront
Vessel Model: Chein Hwa Present Sundeck 35
Thanks for the suggestions. I will send pics when finished.
waterfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Brownsville, WA
What epoxy for a repair like this? I need to fix a scarf joint that was torn apart when it struck an object while docking. I definitely will be using a couple of screws to draw the sections back together, but am unsure of which adhesive to buy.
mgdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:08 PM   #35
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdavis View Post
What epoxy for a repair like this? I need to fix a scarf joint that was torn apart when it struck an object while docking. I definitely will be using a couple of screws to draw the sections back together, but am unsure of which adhesive to buy.
West, Fast Tex, Devcon, etc. will work. Anything that dries clear or slightly yellow. If it stays a bit flexible that's even better.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote