Repainting an all wood El Toro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonR

Guru
Vessel Name
Triton
Vessel Make
48' Golden Egg Harbor
So I picked up a little 1960’s El Toro. All wood, no fiberglass. The paint was a bit chipped and flaking. So I’m going to paint it. Figured a light sand and a new coat of Interlux Brightside Polyurethane yellow. Well as I sand it flakes off... I don’t need show boat smooth, but I would like to fill the deeper spots so it’s somewhat presentable. I plan on sanding all of the LS stuff off the bottom. The sides are not flaking anywhere but the seam. Should I be sealing the wood with something before paint? Any tips/tricks or recommendations?

Thanks
Ron R

Attachments

• 9A7E4657-36F8-4D01-802E-D62BB0C67083.jpg
    9A7E4657-36F8-4D01-802E-D62BB0C67083.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 7110867C-FB8C-4200-B8EA-2AFA7BAFA376.jpg
    7110867C-FB8C-4200-B8EA-2AFA7BAFA376.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 33276CDB-74E6-4B9A-8327-48ED6F7D1E42.jpg
    33276CDB-74E6-4B9A-8327-48ED6F7D1E42.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 41
I suspect it spent too much time in the water for the paint that was on it.

I used interlux brightsides on my dinghy, but I only keep it in the water for a week at a time. I used their precoat primer and sanded and re-primed. The brightsides got quite hard after a few months.

I would spend some time on their website as I am unsure of which primer to recommend.

I think it needs one more color on it, around an edge or something. Maybe two. What a fun project.

Steve DAntonio's avatar:

Last edited:
Smith's Penetrating Epoxy will seal and prime the plywood. It will take multiple coats.

smithandcompany.org

A layer of glass cloth in epoxy would give you abrasion resistance but a lot of work.

It’s got a little color. Was going to do yellow/blue again. Wife thinks it should be red/white/blue like our big boat.

Attachments

• C1FFF482-A8F9-48AD-A452-77E0FBF3EE0A.jpg
    C1FFF482-A8F9-48AD-A452-77E0FBF3EE0A.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 36
I’m not all that good at glass work, and am afraid I will make it ugly and heavy!

I ended up going with the Interlux Pre-coat. I like the Interlux products so far, and as soon as it warms up a bit I will try it out.

Ron you’ll like the Per-Cote.
It brushes beautifully .. so much so that you’ll look forward to using it.

I agree on the glass.
If you treat a boat w respect you’ll have no need for glass. I built a 28’ plywood boat and painted it with “Boat Kote” .... a vinyl coating from the 70’s. Don’t remember priming it at all. Used Resorcinol (sp?) glue and that worked very well.
Got snow?

Last edited:
Ron you’ll like the Per-Cote.
It brushes beautifully .. so much so that you’ll look forward to using it.

I agree on the glass.
If you treat a boat w respect you’ll have no need for glass. I built a 28’ plywood boat and painted it with “Boat Kote” .... a vinyl coating from the 70’s. Don’t remember priming it at all. Used Resorcinol (sp?) glue and that worked very well.
Got snow?

We have a little snow here in Lake Stevens, prob about 3". I was expecting much more last night!

Now that hard part, picking colors for the El Toro. I don't mind the yellow, but may do a red/white/blue or just a white hull and a blue top, inside is varnished.

I got the el toro sanded down to bare wood, removed all the old joint filler and got it 1/2 way smooth. I ended up going with the interlux epoxy primer. I have 3 coats down and its filling all the little cracks up nice. I am on the fence if I am going to lay down some filling primer or filler and get it glass smooth. Probably just call this good enough for now. I am painting the hull red, the top, dagger, rudder will be dark blue. The interior will stay varnished with only needing a touch up in a few places.

Attachments

• woodie.jpg
    woodie.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 24
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom