Old 02-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Repaint or decal

The name on our boat was likely painted on by the original owner in 1981 and the name on the back and both sides are badly faded. Is it easy to remove a painted sign, has anyone done this, and then have decals made, or should I just find someone to repaint the original. Thoughts??
Attached Thumbnails
summer 09 064 (Large).jpg  
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM   #2
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
It's so easy to have a sign store make exactly what you want on stickback and put them on yourself (spray surface with slightly soapy water, peel backing, position, reposition then squeegee, remove topsheet and final squeegee). Even 4 color work is phenomenal - I had a bumper sticker made of my dog 4 years ago and it's still as bright today as when I put it on.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We changed the name on our last boat after 16 years. We wet sanded off the old lettering using 800, 1200, 1500 grit then buffed. You could still see the old "name" if you looked for it. The gel-coat under the painted faded at a different rate so we had a ghost image. We did experimented with some solvents but were afraid we would damage the gel coat.

We applied the new name over the same area as Jeff outlined and it was cheap, easy and looked good IMHO. We just put new vinyl letters on Hobo. The 2 name boards and the transom w/ port of call was ~$150.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
If the original name is a decal, it shouldn't be hard to get it off.

If it's painted over gel coat, a chemical stripper may get it off without damage to the gel coat. I believe West Marine sell a stripper for this purpose.

If the name is painted on a painted hull, I doubt you'll get it off without damaging the painted hull. Repainting the sign would seem to be the best choice.

I think I would get a quote on repainting and then compare it to the cost and labor of removing it and installing a decal.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
If you're keeping the name, lettering style, and color, based on your photo I think it would make the most sense to mask off your current, straight-edged lettering, "etch" it a bit with fine sandpaper, and repaint it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Marin is right, the solution is repainting the signage you have. I did it on a sailboat, the writing style was much more complex than yours with no prospect of masking up. I did it freehand using a small artists brush, a cloth at the ready for any errors. You need a steady hand, or both hands, on the brush.
It may help to establish the kind of paint used, otherwise thoroughly sand the existing paint first. Best mask up for that too.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Coot's builder painted my boat's name without extra cost. But if I was doing it with a blank transom, I'd lean toward a decal unless personally knowing a good painter-artist.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
If the original name is a decal, it shouldn't be hard to get it off.

If it's painted over gel coat, a chemical stripper may get it off without damage to the gel coat. I believe West Marine sell a stripper for this purpose.

If the name is painted on a painted hull, I doubt you'll get it off without damaging the painted hull. Repainting the sign would seem to be the best choice.

I think I would get a quote on repainting and then compare it to the cost and labor of removing it and installing a decal.
It is painted over gelcoat so may come off with a stripper but to Marin's point, I am keeping the name and just want to brighten. I like decals but in this case I think it may be easier, quicker and cheaper to just repaint.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
KJ
El Capitan

City: North Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
I just had my boat done. I sanded off the old name which had been painted on (including the dolphins) as recommended by Larry.
I had the decal guy put the new one (Avalon). I’ve done it before myself, but with the drop lettering, I’d rather “pay the man” to get it right. KJ
Attached Thumbnails
OLD NAME.jpg   AVALON.jpg  
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
Our trawler had the name painted on and it was faded bad. We wet sanded and then had decals made. We self installed the new decals.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
FF
Guru

IF your boat is a USCG doccummented boat I believe paint for the name is required.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
This is a test, right? Here's what the USCG says:

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height....

USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, FAQ Page
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
IF your boat is a USCG doccummented boat I believe paint for the name is required.
That is incorrect.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Quote:
Not!

M/V Stella Di Mare
New Bern NC
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #15
Guru

Mine is federally registered in Canada and the requirements are very similar to the USA.

For pleasure craft and air cushion vehicles, both the name and port of registry must be marked together on a clearly visible exterior part of the hull. For commercial vessels, the vessel name must be marked on each bow and the vessel name and port of registry must be marked on the stern. If the vessel has a square bow, the name may be marked on a clearly visible exterior part of the bow in order to avoid obliteration. The markings may be made by the use of any means and materials that result in durable markings.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I'd paint...I bought decals this time so I would have a good template for paint next time (I was also pressed for time this season).

Next time is paint...maybe gold leaf if I wann get "yachtie"...but that would be overkill for the rest of my workboat finish for now.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 AM   #17
FF
Guru

Great , any means and materials that result in durable markings ,

Maybe the docc hull number can now be put on with a decal instead of carved into the main beam too?

I remember having to repaint a transom "CHAOS " as it was done in Peter Max style script instead of block letters.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Maybe the docc hull number can now be put on with a decal instead of carved into the main beam too?.
Nope, it has to be installed in a way that removal would be obvious. A pretty silly law since it would not be difficult to hide the damaged area with a tank, cabinet, etc., but a law none the less.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
t...maybe gold leaf if I wann get "yachtie"...
So, what's wrong with gold leaf?
Attached Thumbnails
24kt.jpg  
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
So, what's wrong with gold leaf?
Nothing at all. If your boat deserves gold leaf it should have gold leaf.

Some of the boats I see around here deserve Magic Marker.