Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Some of the boats I see around here deserve Magic Marker.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM   #22
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
So, what's wrong with gold leaf?
Permitted only if one displays a stainless steel anchor at the bow.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #23

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Dear Prudence
Vessel Model: Eagle 40
We removed the original painted name and found a ghost image below. Hired a fiberglass guy to buff, polish, etc etc etc. There was then substantially less ghosting, but still visible. As we were changing the name and lettering style, that wasn't going to be acceptable.

Solution? The lettering on our transom is not enormous. The letters are 5-6" high, as were the old ones. We had the vinyl graphics shop put the name on a background that completely covered the ghosted area. So, yeah, it looks like a "sign" with the boat's name on it- but it looks a lot more attractive than a ghosted image.
Chuck Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
We had the name painted on our prior boat and the purchaser could not get the paint off after trying for two years. (I have no idea what all he tried!). He finally gave up and got a decal like Chuck describes with a background to cover the painted on name.
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:56 PM   #25
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Airswift
Vessel Model: Ontario Yachts Great Lakes 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple Girl View Post
We had the name painted on our prior boat and the purchaser could not get the paint off after trying for two years. (I have no idea what all he tried!). He finally gave up and got a decal like Chuck describes with a background to cover the painted on name.
Certainly a third very viable alternative that I had not thought of. The lettering is a little boring the way it is so it would be nice to dress it up a little (maybe gold leaf). I have called a local sign painter to see what he can do with it and for how much $$. I will call a local decal fellow I have used in the past and see how the two compare. Many thanks.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Great , any means and materials that result in durable markings ,

Maybe the docc hull number can now be put on with a decal instead of carved into the main beam too?

I remember having to repaint a transom "CHAOS " as it was done in Peter Max style script instead of block letters.

You can use decals but you then have to glass over the decals so they are visible but can't be removable. This is what is on our boat.

Our transom had 20yrd old decals over a painted transom. I sanded them off and primed twice then two coats rolled and tipped. The old name thank God is not visible at any angle. New name was a decal from a local sign shop. I also had them make stickers for the name boards which I made from MDO which I painted then covered with the full coverage stickers.
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #27
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
The lettering is a little boring the way it is so it would be nice to dress it up a little (maybe gold leaf). I have called a local sign painter to see what he can do with it and for how much $$. I will call a local decal fellow I have used in the past and see how the two compare. Many thanks.
Ask him about a product called "Real Gold" by SignGold. It's real 22kt gold in a vinyl. I use it all the time here when customers will pay for it. 15 year warranty as well. Good stuff.

sign vinyl
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSailor View Post
Ask him about a product called "Real Gold" by SignGold. It's real 22kt gold in a vinyl. I use it all the time here when customers will pay for it. 15 year warranty as well. Good stuff.

sign vinyl
I like it.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
We can see ghost images of both of Skinny Dippin's prior names on the transom... and we don't really care. The dinghy covers them and we moved the name up to the sundeck surround. See Bess' avatar. Pretty sure it will ghost-in too, but up there will be easy to paint over if, in the future, there are new owners.

I have a quick question: If we ever sell her, can we, in a sales contract, require or request that the new owners to change the name?

Tom-
Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #30
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
We can see ghost images of both of Skinny Dippin's prior names on the transom... and we don't really care. The dinghy covers them and we moved the name up to the sundeck surround. See Bess' avatar. Pretty sure it will ghost-in too, but up there will be easy to paint over if, in the future, there are new owners.

I have a quick question: If we ever sell her, can we, in a sales contract, require or request that the new owners to change the name?

Tom-
You could get it in writing...but if they didn't...would you sue to get them to?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:43 AM   #31
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post

Tom-
You can request anything. That doesn't mean it will happen though. "Require" ? And how would you enforce it?

Unless you find a way to copyright or trademark your boat's name there's nothing you can do to keep other people from using the same name as yours.

There are currently 39 "HIGH COTTON"s documented plus a few more variations of the name.

You could, of course, rename it before you sell it. Name it something like "Reel Knotty" and the next owner is sure to rename it.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:29 AM   #32
FF
Guru

And how would you enforce it?

Strip off the name BEFORE you sell it , and make it easier for the next owner to easily have his fancy..

You might even treat the next owner to the next name decal and install it ,

so the bad luck of a name change will follow YOU instead of the boat.

Could be a great selling point!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #33
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You could, of course, rename it before you sell it.
That is a GREAT idea! Thanks!
Old 04-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #34
Guru

Well I was able to remove the painted on name yesterday. Used of all things Easy Off oven cleaner and it softened the paint within minutes enough to scrape off. Did a light sanding with wet sandpaper and now just need to buff and have the new decals applied. Hope to splash in another week. Been a long winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transom (Large).jpg
Views:	42
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	18732  
Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #35
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I did that two boats ago. I removed the name for sea trial and cut the new owner a set and had them available. I own two vinyl cutters and having the new name ready to apply was a big selling point for him and his wife.

My avatar to the left is a picture of the logo on our fly bridge. (Honey Badger)
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:25 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post

Tom-

I've seen that done several times in our marina at the GB dealer. It will say on the listing sheet (which is also posted in a window of the boat which is how I know this) that the boat's name does not go with the boat and must be changed as a condition of the sale.

I don't know how enforceable this is but it has always been complied with on the boats that sold and remained in our marina. All the times I've seen this done it was because the sellers had a acquired a different boat and wanted to use the same name.

If we ever acquire a different cruiser we will do the same thing.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
Guru

Well the painted on sign came off rather easily with Easy Off oven cleaner and here are the pictures of the project start to finish. The decal was not exactly like I had asked for but it's certainly a big improvement IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Great Lakes 33  on dry dock crop (Large).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	18967   Click image for larger version

Name:	transom (Large).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	18968   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1662 (Large).jpg
Views:	46