Old 04-28-2012, 09:30 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
That's the beauty of the internet...if you go to it for advice...you certainly get the full spectrum of advice. You learn pretty quickly who are the guys with lots of book/forum reading and those that have been elbow deep in it for awhile.
Which is why I never use "advice" from an Internet forum to make decisions about anything important. I go to one or more pros who I've learned over time know what they're doing and what they're talking about. Engines, powertrains, electronics, electrical, props, and so on-- always the established pros.

The only exception are a couple of retired shipwrights on the GB owners forum, but these guys and their experience and accomplishments are known to me independently of the Internet.

I will pass on things I've learned from pros or very experienced people I knw or have met or from from direct experience on a forum like this, but as far as I'm concerned anyone who actually acts on anything I say here without checking with a known professional on the subject in their area is a fool.

I have occasionally gotten information from a forum that steered me to investigating a particular product or techique. But for the most part forums like this are interactive entertainment. Advice is generally worth exactly what you pay for it.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Which is why I never use "advice" from an Internet forum to make decisions about anything important.
I have occasionally gotten information from a forum that steered me to investigating a particular product or techique. But for the most part forums like this are interactive entertainment. Advice is generally worth exactly what you pay for it.
It's not that bad.

Many times, someone will have a source for materials that others are unaware of or a different way of doing something that the OP was unaware of.

Then there are personal experiences cruising, or with marinas or vendors. The good and the bad.

But, you will have occasional folks posting really bad advice based on "I have been doing it that way for years and nothing bad has happened to me."

We were all beginners at one point and needed help.
rwidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post

But, you will have occasional folks posting really bad advice based on "I have been doing it that way for years and nothing bad has happened to me."
You're right. I've found forums to be very useful for learning about products I didn't know about, and gems like Keith's suggestion to use GoJo as fender/shorepower cord cleaner. This one continues to pay off big time as just last weekend we cleaned the bottoms of all our fenders that had gotten filthy from the soot and ash floating in the water of our marina from the big fire.

But for things like electrical issues- particularly electrical issues--- or engine issues or hull, shaft, V-strut, prop, rudder, etc. issues the suggestions on an internet forum are not something I'm going to actually act on. They may be right, they may be wrong, or they may be one of many ways to accomplish something. But since the members of a forum are total unknowns other than what they write, everyone's credibility is up for grabs (including mine). So I will always use a pro when it comes to things that really matter. Like removing a through-hull from a hull.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
Guru

Here's an example of the techniques described in this post. I wanted to refinish the bathroom counter top (molded fiberglass). While I had the thing in my hands, decided to move the faucets (sink and shower controls) to a more convenient location. So I had four holes to patch before I could make new ones.

1. Original state
2. After some sanding
3-4. Grinding the holes
5. Light cardboard used as backing plate
6. Glassing
7. Some putty to complete the surfacing
8-9. Final results
Attached Thumbnails
P4054398.jpg   P4064406.jpg   P4064408.jpg   P4064409.jpg   P4064413.jpg  

P4064416.jpg   P4074418.jpg   Q-3.jpg   Q-5.jpg  
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote