Old 12-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Removing and Replacing "SCHLEGEL"

Got your attention?

Schlegel (I call it window fethers) is the technical term for the little fuzzy stuff around your sliding glass windows on your boat that creates a seal. See pic.

So I have a bunch of this stuff, but I can't figure out how to install it. On the inside of the window frame is a channel on both side that this stuff is installed.

How do you install this stuff?

I placed the bottom of the new seal into the bottom of the track, then tried all kinds of pointy devices to try and pop it into the upper channel. Nothing works.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3304.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	83213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3305.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	83214   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3306.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	83215  

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 01:28 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I've got exactly the same on our small boat. The strip has fuzz on one edge and a rigid strip of plastic on the opposite edge. That rigid strip of plastic has fit into the groove in the extrusion. The ONLY way I found was to grind the overhanging lips on the extrusion (top and bottom) for a short distance (1" or so) so the rigid plastic will slide into the groove. There may be a short section overhanging lip already removed...near a drain possibly?

The remaining track must be scrupulously clean to allow the new strip to slide in. I had a fair amount of corrosion (aluminum track) that was the devil to clean out to allow the schlegel to slide readily the whole length of the window.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Wow, a Schlegel thread, I had to check to see what it is. My buddy is trying to replace his and thinks it is a U that come out likely as RTF has explained. Let us know, I may have to replace my Schlegel some day
LaBomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Las Vegas/Portland
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Indeed, one must replace the Schlegel. Much needed to keep the outside cold air from entering the nice warm interior, especially during those “Warm” summer days in AK!
��
" I can explain, but I can't make you understand"
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
Guru

Folllowing
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
I always thought you had to get the window out to replace it. Saw a post on the Mainship thread about using a hydraulic jack to spread the frame a little...…
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:49 PM   #7
Guru

One issue I am running into is that you can't remove the windows......Nothing is easy on a boat is it???
Old 12-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I tried replacing the felt and I couldn’t figure it out. Hopefully you can. We ended replacing the tracks with StanPro Y582 but we had to remove the windows from the inside by removing the frames. The windows were built on a bench with the tracks, glass and frames complete, then installed when the boat was built. Not an easy project. I feel your pain. Good luck.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=4172879
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4F97AC91-78F5-427F-B8F1-E6BE9BE3A0B7.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	83220  
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
Guru

So the stuff I got is the exact same width as what is currently in there. I found that if I have an open end on one side of the channel, I can start it, then take a sharp pointy tool and put the material down the track.

The problem is when these windows were assembled 30 years ago the weather stripping was installed as they built the window, with no thought if it had to be replaced at a later date. Also without the ability to actually remove the window, some spots will not be replaced.

I also can take a pair of small wire cutters and trim the plastic backing so that it will snap into the track. Doing the top track will hurt my body the most as you are leaning out the window working over your head.

One of the MOST important part of all this is to make sure your window drains are clean and not plugged with mud, leaves etc.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3307.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	83221   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3308.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	83222   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3309.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	83223  
Old 12-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I've got exactly the same on our small boat. The strip has fuzz on one edge and a rigid strip of plastic on the opposite edge. That rigid strip of plastic has fit into the groove in the extrusion. The ONLY way I found was to grind the overhanging lips on the extrusion (top and bottom) for a short distance (1" or so) so the rigid plastic will slide into the groove. There may be a short section overhanging lip already removed...near a drain possibly?

The remaining track must be scrupulously clean to allow the new strip to slide in. I had a fair amount of corrosion (aluminum track) that was the devil to clean out to allow the schlegel to slide readily the whole length of the window.
RT has the fix. We changed ours during a window replacement caused by my big ads going through the windows. I think the fuzzy stuff is called Wool Pile. Search the forum for Wool Pile. My tracks had a perpendicular slot to insert the plastic backing. If you don't have the slot you could cut one with a drumel.
fryedaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. "... was installed as they built the window," Exactly the reason you have to grind away some of the overhanging lip in order to get the strip, at least, started. As Mr. S notes, it is much easier to do IF you can remove the glass and indeed, you may have to jack the frame apart enough to slip the glass out.

Just saw Mr. f's post. Yes, Dremel tool to cut the aluminum.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:10 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I relined my SS window channels. I used vinyl siding cut long strips, then using a heat gun formed a U shape over a 1/4" edge, recut so it was smooth edged and snapped it into the old SS channels. Yeah, it was not easy, but it has never failed, did that 10 yrs ago. The windows hold it in place and it has a little spring back too. The glass slides easily on that plastic. The hardest part was getting rid of all the rotten bits of fluffy stuff left in the old channels.

It seemed my only other option was to buy new channels with the felt fluff already attached.

A couple front windows had a wider original track. I used a softer piece of indoor outdoor blue olefin carpet that had no rubber backing and glued that in place. It seals very well. but crud can build up and somehow locks the glass and it gets stuck if you don't use them for a long time. But if you use the windows it is ok.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Is this what the strip looks like? Amesbury / Divisions / schlegel / Wide Back Poly-Bond / Part / Wide-Back Poly-Bond
Old 12-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #14
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. HC. That is what MY strip looked like. What the strip slid into looked something like this:

As mentioned, the strip was installed THEN the frames were assembled so to gain access to the sort of "C" channel you have to grind off the outsides of the "C" for about 1" to make a "U". How can I make this more confusing????
Old 12-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #15
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
Wow, a Schlegel thread, I had to check to see what it is. My buddy is trying to replace his and thinks it is a U that come out likely as RTF has explained. Let us know, I may have to replace my Schlegel some day
I've been ignoring because I was sure it was about a door lock. Schlage, Schlegel...close enough.

firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote