Removing carpet glue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon

Vessel Name
Isle of Skye
Vessel Make
Bruckmann trawler
I'm getting rid of the few pieces of carpeting left on the boat. What works to get rid of the glue/carpet backing?I'm using a razor blade but am worried about scoring the original sole.
Jon

I have had good results using 3M Adhesive Remover.* Works great on lots of different adhesives and glues.* You may need to soak the adhesive and then gently scrape of with a putty knife or razor blade.* Plastic putty knives shouldn't score the underlayment.

On my boat the carpet had been glued to an originally moulded non-skid surface. I got the carpet off OK and most of the glue, but a lot of glue remains in all the crevices of the non-skid surface. The glue has hardened but can be easily 'picked' out with a very small screwdriver or awl. But, this is extremely time consuming and finicky. Any ideas? Is there something that can be layed/painted on top and then peeled off that would remove the glue but not harm the gelcoat underneath?

-- Edited by dainisk on Wednesday 5th of May 2010 01:43:04 AM

Could be worth trying petrol or acetone - with extreme care re flames, of course.

Back
Top Bottom