Removing black streaks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Still having some issues maneuvering the new boat. Have picked up some black streaks from kissing the black rubber bumpers on the dock. Is there some easy way to remove them?

Bob

Scotch brite pad with soap of your choice.

I've had a lot of luck with surfasolve wipes. Non-toxic and they won't scratch. I have used them to get the hard to remove white dock bumper residue from a blue gelcoated hull. Amazon has them.

As mentioned earlier, try the magic eraser. We have had great luck with them.

Scotch Brite pad!? Eeeck! :D

At least start with something a bit less abrasive like a Magic Eraser or mild compound.

Sorry that's what I meant, wasn't thinking.:banghead:

They live up to their name, I've worked some magic with them.

Ditto the Magic Eraser.

Sorry that's what I meant, wasn't thinking.:banghead:

They live up to their name, I've worked some magic with them.

LOL I did have a hard time picturing you going around scrubbing on your hull with a Scotch Brite pad all the time. :D

That said, Magic Erasers are abrasive. So a bit of polishing after you use them will bring back the full shine.

Last edited:
I have had good luck using a product called On/Off. It is an acid and takes off most marks. Acetone works well too. These products strip the wax so I follow up with hull wax

I have had good luck using a product called On/Off. It is an acid and takes off most marks. Acetone works well too. These products strip the wax so I follow up with hull wax

On and Off will also strip the lining off your lungs in enclosed areas. Great product but good ventilation is essential.

Stay away from abrasives including Magic erasers or Scotchbrite untill a milder form of removal has been attempted.
A good cleaner wax will often remove marks like that. Then if no success try a mild abrasive. The cleaner wax will have removed a bunch of the mark so what has to be abraded off will be less damaging to the gelcoat.

Goof Off is pretty good, it smells petroleum based, like diesel fuel. The bumpers are often made of some petrol based material and more petrol might melt it off. If you haven't tried that, I would do it before I used anything abrasive. Worst case scenario I would just buff it out with mild fiberglass polishing compound on a wool pad and wax over it.

Thanks for all the input. Tried Magic Eraser, no help. Finally took the easy way out, laquer thinner, worked like a charm. Boat needs a wax job anyway.

Bob

Look for a product called Marine Strip. It's sometimes available at marine stores but if not, try googling it to find out the company that makes it.

I've used it on my boat for a year or so now and it works great. It's also good for cleaning all the gunk and black marks off fenders, shore power cords, etc.

For the record, I have no affiliation with Marine Strip other than a very satisfied customer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom