Remove worn teak from 1986 Marine Trader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autoteacher

Vessel Name
Paradox
Vessel Make
Mainship
My mentor visited and told me how to and what not to do removing old teak from the deck. With all the rain of late we had a new leak and decided it is time to remove the worn out teak. The PO had use a pressure washer so most of the teak was gone anyway. The left hand drill bit works to remove the screws and the teak strips come up with out damage to fiberglass. Thanks to Larry for his advisement and help!

HTH, S

7293-albums412-picture2305.jpg

7293-albums412-picture2304.jpg

7293-albums412-picture2303.jpg

7293-albums412-picture2302.jpg

7293-albums412-picture2301.jpg

7293-albums412-picture2300.jpg

7293-albums412-picture2306.jpg
[/IMG]

Very cool. What will you be doing to refinish the decks?

Very cool. What will you be doing to refinish the decks?

As soon as dry weather hits Jax we will paint with non skid. We have drilled out all screw holes with 3/8ths and filled with resin. We have put down two layers of cloth and resin on portion we have cleared of old teak so far. As we progress we will post pictures. If I had your $$ I would replace with the new teak look a likes, but I don't want to add weight or expense to our journey.
Thanks for asking.

If you had my $$ you could only afford a 12" x 12" section of that stuff ;-) That nu-teak does look like a nice material

Looking forward to watching the progress of this project! Keep the pics coming =)

Looking forward to see more pictures of this project as I am about to do the same on my MT. Looks pretty straight forward so far, just a lot of work. Lol

With all the rain of late we had a new leak...

So, that bit got me wondering if you had older leaks which have caused the decks to get "spongy" from the core rotting, and if so, what you were planning on doing about it?

We have to deal with long neglected teak decks as well so will be watching this thread with interest. Thanks for sharing your pain :thumb:

We have to deal with long neglected teak decks as well so will be watching this thread with interest. Thanks for sharing your pain :thumb:

Murray, I suspect that 90% of members of this forum with older teak decked boats (including myself) will also be following and eager to see the pictures

Its not as dear as teak but Treadmaster can create a very safe footing .

Back
Top Bottom