Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

City: San Jose, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl 3
Vessel Model: Silverton 38c
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

We are starting this project as soon as we get the boat back from the yard from the swim step repair (neighbor backed into us).* We ordered the Fabulon bowling lane finish*that Chuck / Beach house recommended in a prior thread.* I'm a little apprehensive as I think this the biggest job we've ever undertakenon the*boat*and I want it to turn out well.*

Bess have you decided what product to use yet?*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

related question to the group, we have two sets of steps that are NOT teak and holly like the sole.**They*need to be*removed and*refinished.**I'm a little flummoxed as to what I should finish them with.* The floor stuff doesn't seem like the best idea as how does something self leveling level itself when it is on a vertical surface--seems like it would all run off the bottom? * So do I use marine varnish, maybe the same varnish I use on my exterior teak?* But won't that be slippery?* I don't want*to have to add non-skid strips.* Any ideas?*
Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
Scraping Paint

City: -

Jennifer--- Everybody has preferences but we have found Daly's SeaFin AquaSpar (satin) to be an excellent product so far (see my previous post). We have had it on the main step into the main cabin for some four years or so now and it is not a slippery surface but it looks as good today as the day we put the step back in after refinishing. And we step on it with wet shoes, dry shoes, bare feet, socks, boat shoes, regular shoes, you name it. The dog has never slipped on it so far as we know. We put on about eight or ten coats so it's not as satin as just a few coats would be but it is not glossy and not slippery (in our opinions).
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Jennifer--- Everybody has preferences but we have found Daly's SeaFin AquaSpar (satin) to be an excellent product so far (see my previous post). We have had it on the main step into the main cabin for some four years or so now and it is not a slippery surface but it looks as good today as the day we put the step back in after refinishing. And we step on it with wet shoes, dry shoes, bare feet, socks, boat shoes, regular shoes, you name it. The dog has never slipped on it so far as we know. We put on about eight or ten coats so it's not as satin as just a few coats would be but it is not glossy and not slippery (in our opinions).
Thanks Marin that's good to hear.* I sure don't want to put non skid strips or sand or anything.* whatever is on there now is a bit slippery and I have almost slipped in sock feet going down to the galley.*The finsih is completely rubbed off on the edges of most of the steps so I have to get those redone before it gets worse!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'

Hi Jennifer!!* I have not decided what to do just yet.* You do it first, then tell me the best way!* ***

We're going to pull the engine room hatches and bring them home and do those here in the garage.* So we can test our "skills".** We're thinking a clear poly something as the finish.** Tom has to finish his electrical and plumbing upgrade then*we can start*the floors!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Besslb wrote:
Hi Jennifer!!* I have not decided what to do just yet.* You do it first, then tell me the best way!* ***

We're going to pull the engine room hatches and bring them home and do those here in the garage.* So we can test our "skills".** We're thinking a clear poly something as the finish.** Tom has to finish his electrical and plumbing upgrade then*we can start*the floors!
we are planning to bring home a small hatch from the galley sole*as a test before we commit by sanding the whole sole!* I'm very nervous about this.** I'll keep you posted...
Old 02-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #27
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Quote:
Besslb wrote:

Tom has to finish his electrical and plumbing upgrade then*we can start*the floors!

You're allowed to start without me ya' know. :evileye:
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:we are planning to bring home a small hatch from the galley sole*as a test before we commit by sanding the whole sole!* I'm very nervous about this.** I'll keep you posted...
*Don't be nervous!* It's just a project and not one that can sink the boat!*

Looks like I'll be trying those hatches before he's done with his project!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Besslb wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:we are planning to bring home a small hatch from the galley sole*as a test before we commit by sanding the whole sole!* I'm very nervous about this.** I'll keep you posted...
*Don't be nervous!* It's just a project and not one that can sink the boat!*

Looks like I'll be trying those hatches before he's done with his project!

We put a coat of varnish on our teak anchor platform thing and it looked AWFUL--brush marks, etc.* Really don't want my floor to look like that!!!*
Old 02-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
We put a coat of varnish on our teak anchor platform thing and it looked AWFUL--brush marks, etc.* Really don't want my floor to look like that!!!*
*Ahhhh....When I did the swim platform, rubrail and window hatch frames, I used a sponge applicator not a brush.* No brush marks. *Try those on your test hatch.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"We put a coat of varnish on our teak anchor platform thing and it looked AWFUL--brush marks, etc."

Did you use a REAL varnish brush ( about $45.00 ), or a 69c "brush" from Home Cheapo?

Good varnish is an ART , and requires proper tools like most art jobs.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:35 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
FF wrote:
"We put a coat of varnish on our teak anchor platform thing and it looked AWFUL--brush marks, etc."

Did you use a REAL varnish brush ( about $45.00 ), or a 69c "brush" from Home Cheapo?

Good varnish is an ART , and requires proper tools like most art jobs.
It wasn't the brush, it was the person holding the brush seeing a mistake and trying to go back and "fix" it in the drying varnish instead of letting it dry and fixing it on the next coat.***We ended up hiring a pro*to give all our exterior wood work another two*coats and it looks FABULOUS.* If we are going to get this floor to look nice (without hiring Julio for the job!) it is going to take some impulse control to let the*imperfections*dry and take care of them on the next coat...* The self leveling aspect of the product should help.* My other fear is my husband and I are going to kill each other during the project.*
Old 02-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #33
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:We ended up hiring a pro*to give all our exterior wood work another two*coats and it looks FABULOUS.* If we are going to get this floor to look nice (without hiring Julio for the job!) ........
******** I learned quite a while ago that hiring "Julio" is the smart thing to do. (Or Francisco, in my case.)
Attached Thumbnails
img_3327.jpg   img_3869.jpg   img_3870.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:03 AM   #34
FF
Guru

The first coat usually requires thinning , instructions are on the can.

The thinning will usually slow the set up enough to allow first time varnishers to be fine.

A beach umbrella to reduce the solar drying also helps.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:We ended up hiring a pro*to give all our exterior wood work another two*coats and it looks FABULOUS.* If we are going to get this floor to look nice (without hiring Julio for the job!) ........
******** I learned quite a while ago that hiring "Julio" is the smart thing to do. (Or Francisco, in my case.)

Looks fantastic!* We are trying to avoid putting Julio's kids through college.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:27 PM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:Looks fantastic!* We are trying to avoid putting Julio's kids through college.
******** Francisco doesn't have any kids....he does, however, have a 42' Grand Banks Classic.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:40 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Sooo we final got the Fabulon and brought home the test piece (bilge access from galley). So far we've sanded it. The holly strips are darker than we'd expected. Not sure if they are REALLY holly and we are unrealistic to think they should be lighter. We're considering bleaching but then we'd have to bleach the entire sole; not a fun prospect. Should we sand a bit more? Or just accept the color as it is? It is thick strips of wood, not a veneer.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:24 PM   #38

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
Sooo we final got the Fabulon and brought home the test piece (bilge access from galley). So far we've sanded it. The holly strips are darker than we'd expected. Not sure if they are REALLY holly and we are unrealistic to think they should be lighter. We're considering bleaching but then we'd have to bleach the entire sole; not a fun prospect. Should we sand a bit more? Or just accept the color as it is? It is thick strips of wood, not a veneer.

Suddenly, I feel the need to keep up with the Neumans.....
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

you better get on it Eric.* Forget all this nonsense about taking your boat to so cal and get on those projects!!!* yeah right. *

I have a feeling this refinishing gig is going to be ongoing for quite some time...
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

So we have put three coats on the test hatch so far. I will post some photos later. So far so good. The wood itself looked "ok" before we started, not awful, not great. Mostly that there were some darker areas. I did not want to go crazy with the bleach as I was afraid of then having light spots. There were also lots of weird indentations on the floor, like from writing (scribbling). The indentations are much less noticeable with the three coats. I'd honestly never noticed them before we started working on the piece so I doubt anyone will see them.

So anyway the Fabulon seems easy to apply and goes on pretty well. Matt is annoyed that it does not want to fill in the low spots (couple of small gouges in the wood) but I think we just need more coats. Hopefully only two.