Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #21
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

We are starting this project as soon as we get the boat back from the yard from the swim step repair (neighbor backed into us).* We ordered the Fabulon bowling lane finish*that Chuck / Beach house recommended in a prior thread.* I'm a little apprehensive as I think this the biggest job we've ever undertakenon the*boat*and I want it to turn out well.*

Bess have you decided what product to use yet?*
__________________
Advertisement

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #22
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

related question to the group, we have two sets of steps that are NOT teak and holly like the sole.**They*need to be*removed and*refinished.**I'm a little flummoxed as to what I should finish them with.* The floor stuff doesn't seem like the best idea as how does something self leveling level itself when it is on a vertical surface--seems like it would all run off the bottom? * So do I use marine varnish, maybe the same varnish I use on my exterior teak?* But won't that be slippery?* I don't want*to have to add non-skid strips.* Any ideas?*
__________________

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
Scraping Paint
 
City: -
Country: -
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 13,748
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Jennifer--- Everybody has preferences but we have found Daly's SeaFin AquaSpar (satin) to be an excellent product so far (see my previous post). We have had it on the main step into the main cabin for some four years or so now and it is not a slippery surface but it looks as good today as the day we put the step back in after refinishing. And we step on it with wet shoes, dry shoes, bare feet, socks, boat shoes, regular shoes, you name it. The dog has never slipped on it so far as we know. We put on about eight or ten coats so it's not as satin as just a few coats would be but it is not glossy and not slippery (in our opinions).
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:19 PM   #24
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Marin wrote:
Jennifer--- Everybody has preferences but we have found Daly's SeaFin AquaSpar (satin) to be an excellent product so far (see my previous post). We have had it on the main step into the main cabin for some four years or so now and it is not a slippery surface but it looks as good today as the day we put the step back in after refinishing. And we step on it with wet shoes, dry shoes, bare feet, socks, boat shoes, regular shoes, you name it. The dog has never slipped on it so far as we know. We put on about eight or ten coats so it's not as satin as just a few coats would be but it is not glossy and not slippery (in our opinions).
Thanks Marin that's good to hear.* I sure don't want to put non skid strips or sand or anything.* whatever is on there now is a bit slippery and I have almost slipped in sock feet going down to the galley.*The finsih is completely rubbed off on the edges of most of the steps so I have to get those redone before it gets worse!
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #25
Guru
 
Besslb's Avatar
 
City: Cary NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 683
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Hi Jennifer!!* I have not decided what to do just yet.* You do it first, then tell me the best way!* ***

We're going to pull the engine room hatches and bring them home and do those here in the garage.* So we can test our "skills".** We're thinking a clear poly something as the finish.** Tom has to finish his electrical and plumbing upgrade then*we can start*the floors!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #26
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Besslb wrote:
Hi Jennifer!!* I have not decided what to do just yet.* You do it first, then tell me the best way!* ***

We're going to pull the engine room hatches and bring them home and do those here in the garage.* So we can test our "skills".** We're thinking a clear poly something as the finish.** Tom has to finish his electrical and plumbing upgrade then*we can start*the floors!
we are planning to bring home a small hatch from the galley sole*as a test before we commit by sanding the whole sole!* I'm very nervous about this.** I'll keep you posted...
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
Guru
 
Tom.B's Avatar
 
City: Cary, NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 5,153
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Besslb wrote:



Tom has to finish his electrical and plumbing upgrade then*we can start*the floors!


You're allowed to start without me ya' know. :evileye:
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #28
Guru
 
Besslb's Avatar
 
City: Cary NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 683
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:we are planning to bring home a small hatch from the galley sole*as a test before we commit by sanding the whole sole!* I'm very nervous about this.** I'll keep you posted...
*Don't be nervous!* It's just a project and not one that can sink the boat!*

Looks like I'll be trying those hatches before he's done with his project!
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #29
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Besslb wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:we are planning to bring home a small hatch from the galley sole*as a test before we commit by sanding the whole sole!* I'm very nervous about this.** I'll keep you posted...
*Don't be nervous!* It's just a project and not one that can sink the boat!*

Looks like I'll be trying those hatches before he's done with his project!

We put a coat of varnish on our teak anchor platform thing and it looked AWFUL--brush marks, etc.* Really don't want my floor to look like that!!!*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #30
Guru
 
Besslb's Avatar
 
City: Cary NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 683
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
We put a coat of varnish on our teak anchor platform thing and it looked AWFUL--brush marks, etc.* Really don't want my floor to look like that!!!*
*Ahhhh....When I did the swim platform, rubrail and window hatch frames, I used a sponge applicator not a brush.* No brush marks. *Try those on your test hatch.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:58 AM   #31
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,518
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

"We put a coat of varnish on our teak anchor platform thing and it looked AWFUL--brush marks, etc."

Did you use a REAL varnish brush ( about $45.00 ), or a 69c "brush" from Home Cheapo?

Good varnish is an ART , and requires proper tools like most art jobs.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #32
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
FF wrote:
"We put a coat of varnish on our teak anchor platform thing and it looked AWFUL--brush marks, etc."

Did you use a REAL varnish brush ( about $45.00 ), or a 69c "brush" from Home Cheapo?

Good varnish is an ART , and requires proper tools like most art jobs.
It wasn't the brush, it was the person holding the brush seeing a mistake and trying to go back and "fix" it in the drying varnish instead of letting it dry and fixing it on the next coat.***We ended up hiring a pro*to give all our exterior wood work another two*coats and it looks FABULOUS.* If we are going to get this floor to look nice (without hiring Julio for the job!) it is going to take some impulse control to let the*imperfections*dry and take care of them on the next coat...* The self leveling aspect of the product should help.* My other fear is my husband and I are going to kill each other during the project.*
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #33
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:We ended up hiring a pro*to give all our exterior wood work another two*coats and it looks FABULOUS.* If we are going to get this floor to look nice (without hiring Julio for the job!) ........
******** I learned quite a while ago that hiring "Julio" is the smart thing to do. (Or Francisco, in my case.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3327.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	10027   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3869.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	10028   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3870.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	10029  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 AM   #34
FF
Guru
 
FF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 16,518
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

The first coat usually requires thinning , instructions are on the can.

The thinning will usually slow the set up enough to allow first time varnishers to be fine.

A beach umbrella to reduce the solar drying also helps.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 AM   #35
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:Pineapple Girl wrote:We ended up hiring a pro*to give all our exterior wood work another two*coats and it looks FABULOUS.* If we are going to get this floor to look nice (without hiring Julio for the job!) ........
******** I learned quite a while ago that hiring "Julio" is the smart thing to do. (Or Francisco, in my case.)

Looks fantastic!* We are trying to avoid putting Julio's kids through college.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #36
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,420
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:Looks fantastic!* We are trying to avoid putting Julio's kids through college.
******** Francisco doesn't have any kids....he does, however, have a 42' Grand Banks Classic.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:40 PM   #37
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Sooo we final got the Fabulon and brought home the test piece (bilge access from galley). So far we've sanded it. The holly strips are darker than we'd expected. Not sure if they are REALLY holly and we are unrealistic to think they should be lighter. We're considering bleaching but then we'd have to bleach the entire sole; not a fun prospect. Should we sand a bit more? Or just accept the color as it is? It is thick strips of wood, not a veneer.
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
Baggiolini's Avatar
 
City: Monterey, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 398
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

Quote:
Pineapple Girl wrote:
Sooo we final got the Fabulon and brought home the test piece (bilge access from galley). So far we've sanded it. The holly strips are darker than we'd expected. Not sure if they are REALLY holly and we are unrealistic to think they should be lighter. We're considering bleaching but then we'd have to bleach the entire sole; not a fun prospect. Should we sand a bit more? Or just accept the color as it is? It is thick strips of wood, not a veneer.


Suddenly, I feel the need to keep up with the Neumans.....
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #39
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
RE: Refinishing Salon Hardwood Floors

you better get on it Eric.* Forget all this nonsense about taking your boat to so cal and get on those projects!!!* yeah right. *

I have a feeling this refinishing gig is going to be ongoing for quite some time...
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #40
TF Site Team
 
Pineapple Girl's Avatar
 
City: San Mateo, CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,165
So we have put three coats on the test hatch so far. I will post some photos later. So far so good. The wood itself looked "ok" before we started, not awful, not great. Mostly that there were some darker areas. I did not want to go crazy with the bleach as I was afraid of then having light spots. There were also lots of weird indentations on the floor, like from writing (scribbling). The indentations are much less noticeable with the three coats. I'd honestly never noticed them before we started working on the piece so I doubt anyone will see them.

So anyway the Fabulon seems easy to apply and goes on pretty well. Matt is annoyed that it does not want to fill in the low spots (couple of small gouges in the wood) but I think we just need more coats. Hopefully only two.
__________________

Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
salon doors Slowboat 37 Taiwanese Makes 19 01-18-2015 02:40 PM
Salon floor Duvie Californian 6 12-09-2011 03:51 PM
epoxy splining a hardwood sharpie (extrawler). Pete General Discussion 5 09-04-2011 04:12 AM
new hardwood sole on the 38 chris craft blacksheep General Discussion 2 02-26-2011 07:20 PM
Refinishing my teak Dom61 General Maintenance 8 12-27-2010 09:48 PM




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012