Old 12-19-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Brandi Jo
Vessel Model: 1975 Marine Trader 34
Refinishing my teak

Hi I have started to refinish some of the hatches on our 34 DC and just can not get the black out do you think a good teak cleaner will help or is there a better method.
Thanks Dom
34 MT DC* "Brandi Jo"

Dom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Refinishing my teak

Quote:
Dom61 wrote:

Hi I have started to refinish some of the hatches on our 34 DC and just can not get the black out do you think a good teak cleaner will help or is there a better method.
Thanks Dom
34 MT DC* "Brandi Jo"
Oxalic acid will likely remove the black. You may have to use a little stain to bring the color back to even state, then apply a new finish.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:47 AM   #3
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Te-Ka is really strong, but works like a charm. Buy extra neutralizer while you're there, and follow the directions. Don't leave it on too long!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:30 AM   #4
Guru

Try sudsy amonia. Learned that from another boater on my dock. 69 cents a gallon at the grocery store.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
Refinishing my teak

We've used oxalic acid to remove the black, which I think is either the result of algae or fungus but I'm not positive. However if the black wood goes deep enough we found that oxalic acid (or anything else we tried) would not remove it.

This was almost always the case when the "black" had penetrated deep into a vein of wood. The only cure, we were told by a shipwright, is to sand it out, which in the case of wood trim or some other teak component will result in a dip in the wood, maybe a deep dip. So we did the best we could with the acid and then just left the remaining black in place and finished over it. Since it was in a vein all it does is make the vein more obvious. As our boat was made way back in '73 the Burmese old-growth teak that was used throughout the boat is highly figured anyway, so these few black streaks in the cap rail simply look like part of the wood's figuring.

But we found that oxalic acid was the best thing to remove surface blackening.* It seems to be the most recommended way to remove stains from teak on the Grand Banks owners forum, and since GBs, particularly the older ones like ours tend to have a rainforest of exterior teak on them, the GB owners tend to have a lot of experience dealing with it.

if you use it make sure to follow the mixing directions and have a hose handy to wash it off the gelcoat should it get on it.* The acid will also lighten the wood, so you either have to do all of it or, once the black has been removed as much as possible, stain that portion of the teak that has been lightened back to match the rest of it.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 20th of December 2010 01:55:59 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Grand Island NY
Vessel Name: Brandi Jo
Vessel Model: 1975 Marine Trader 34

Thanks for all the help* Dom
Dom61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #7
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Something to ALWAYS keep in mind when coating teak is that teak is a VERY oily wood and almost anything except oil will not adhere well.
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Refinishing my teak

Hi Guys,

I have teak decking on my Fleming and it looks great. All I do is ensure I wash it with copious amounts of sea water, and once a season I use Patio Magic from Brintons Products (http://www.brintonproducts.co.uk).

This product is eco-friendly, sinks into the teak, and starts to kill the green algea nasties and the 'whatever it is' which make the black areas.

It doesn't stain the wood or bleach it (like oxalic acid) or anything. It just kills the nasties. It takes time to do it, maybe a month or so, but annual treatment (just briush itohn and leave it to dry) keeps teak looking spot on.

-- Edited by Piers on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 01:45:50 AM
Piers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Refinishing my teak

I use Clorox bleach in the spray bottle with kills the fungus, which is the cause of the blackening.* If you do not kill it, it will come back.* If you put enough coat you will not notice the uneven color of the teak wood beside wood absorbs stain/vanish differently and that is the beauty of wood

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Monday 27th of December 2010 10:49:25 PM

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote