Refinished the floors!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDCAVE

Guru
Vessel Name
Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
This was a big job! A big thank you to Robert on Datenight for all of his help and guidance! This was a full on restore as we took off the carpets in the Pilothouse and saloon. The underlay,in the saloon was glued down and it was a tedious job to remove as it came up in 1" pieces. The finish was completely removed with 40 grit and finish sanding progressively with 80 and 120 grit sanding discs. I was able to remove all scratches and all but a few gouges. I used a sharp 1" and 2" scrapers to remove finish at the edges and under counters. All work was with a 5" orbital sander with a shop vac attachment, and dust was virtually absent. Hand sanding between coats with 150 grit paper. Three coats of Poloplaz supreme satin applied with a 4" bristle brush. It's a bonus when it exceeds the Admiral's expectations.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460214515.379995.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460214355.516525.jpg

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1460214392.114879.jpg

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
That's a great job! I can see why the admiral is happy.

Ken

"Nix on carpets."

Depends , in the winter a carpet keeps the toes pink instead of black.

And some carpet is sound deadening , nice when the engine is operating.

Our carpet is over epoxy & Flint, Navy carrier deck no skid , and keeps bare feet from bleeding.

That Teak and Holly sole does look nautical. Congrats!

Last edited:
That Teak and Holly sole does look nautical. Congrats!

It's not holly. It's that soft, pseudo "mahogany" stuff. I don't know why they used that stuff, cause it's not particularly uniform.

Jim

Wow that carpet was bad. Looks beautiful.

Rob

Nice job . Love that finish .

Ummmmmmmmm... I want, I want...

You made it perfecto.*

"It's not holly. It's that soft, pseudo "mahogany" stuff. I don't know why they used that stuff, cause it's not particularly uniform."

Way Back, the Holly was part of the no skid , so it stood proud a bit to catch the sliding sailor.

Today its just nautical looking eye candy so an expensive hard wood like Holly is no longer required

Update: In consultation with Robert, I decided to put two more coats on the floors, so that's 5 overall.

Jim

Looks fantastic! I can appreciate how much time and care went into this project. Well done!

A lot of work and perdy. One of the first projects we did was refinishing the teak floors with varnish for gymnasium floors with throw rugs. That lasted until the cold weather set in. Brrr:D So we decided to carpet over. The only area not carpeted is the galley.

Oh, I forgot our dog at the time hated the wood floors, no traction.:thumb:

Look great but I'd put down some more coats of finish while you can.

Please!

If the boat is operated use gymnasium , or bowling alley varnish that gives good traction even when wet as the top surface.

No UV goodies so its only for inside.

Nice work, JD!

I was always curious about using Holly strips on a sole. I knew the original use was for soles without finish and with the Holly standing proud as non-skid. Teak and Holly is the yachty ideal but it's a funny couple of choices; Teak is expensive and rot resistant; Holly is not all that expensive and not at all rot resistant.

Our 1970 Dutch-built LeComte North East 38 (see Yachtworld) has a 5/8" thick solid Teak and Ahorn (Maple) sole; the Teak is grooved on both edges and the Maple is tongued on both edges.

Our 1984 Fu Hwa has a 1/2" thick veneer of Teak and Holly glued down to plywood for the sole. Happily, it's not yet a candidate for refinishing.

Last edited:
Look great but I'd put down some more coats of finish while you can.

Please!

If the boat is operated use gymnasium , or bowling alley varnish that gives good traction even when wet as the top surface.

No UV goodies so its only for inside.

Sorry for the late reply. I phoned Poloplaz. Here's what "Bill" at said.

1) WRT # of coats. "Three is typical. No advantage to putting on more coats."

2) WRT to Gymnasium finish. "You just did." What? I said. "You put Gymnasium finish on your floors! The residential product has the same coefficient of friction as the Gymnasium product."
Every 3 years they send $3,000 of product and maple flooring to some institute for testing, in order for it to be certified/accredited for NCAA and NBA use. They don't send their residential product for that purpose, because it costs money to do so, but there is no difference between the two products.

Jim

That looks fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom