Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Re-commissioning and launching

I'm new to this. Living most of my life in Florida we've never had to deal with winterizing and re-commission, but we cruised to the Chesapeake last summer and winterized it last October which included shrink wrapping. We have a splash date on April 28th at Herrington Harbour near Deal MD.

Here's my to do list for re-commissioning.
> Remove shrink wrap a week or so before.
> After boat is in the water, reconnect hose to water tank, fill water tank and flush all faucets and showers of pink stuff.
> Disconnect water heater by-pass and reconnect in/out lines to water heater. No pink stuff in heater or water tank.
> Prime air conditioning pump before turning on.
> Engines: oil and filters were changed when winterizing and pink stuff is in raw water cooling circuit. As far as I know nothing else needs to be done, however from previous experience the Cummins diesels will be hard to start not having run for 6 months.

Anything else I need to do and suggestions on getting the engines started??
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
City: MD
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Blue Yonder
Vessel Model: 37
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 346
I'm going through the same routine this week across the bay from you.

Good time to replace the raw water impellers (including the genset). They may take a "set" during the winter. Your engine manual may have detailed instructions on the proper way to start after a long layup. My old Yanmar required you to hit the starter while you held the stop button. This would allow oil to pump through the motor without starting it. Some more recent engines (my Cummins QSC is one), will not start until the oil pressure has risen to a minimum level.

If you haven't been on a charger this winter, you might test the batteries to ensure they are still ok.

If you have a dripless shaft seal, make sure you "burp" it after the boat goes in the water.

Have fun
__________________

BlueYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 13,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I'm new to this. Living most of my life in Florida we've never had to deal with winterizing and re-commission, but we cruised to the Chesapeake last summer and winterized it last October which included shrink wrapping. We have a splash date on April 28th at Herrington Harbour near Deal MD.

Here's my to do list for re-commissioning.
> Remove shrink wrap a week or so before.
> After boat is in the water, reconnect hose to water tank, fill water tank and flush all faucets and showers of pink stuff.
> Disconnect water heater by-pass and reconnect in/out lines to water heater. No pink stuff in heater or water tank.
> Prime air conditioning pump before turning on.
> Engines: oil and filters were changed when winterizing and pink stuff is in raw water cooling circuit. As far as I know nothing else needs to be done, however from previous experience the Cummins diesels will be hard to start not having run for 6 months.

Anything else I need to do and suggestions on getting the engines started??
Did you winterize it or have it done by the yard? I always recommend the same person de-winterize as the one who winterized and often its part of a package deal. Reason is they know exactly what they did. Otherwise I'd be sure to have a list of what was done to double check.

Batteries are the one item I see not mentioned and they're often the point of weakness.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
I did all the winterizing with my wife's help. She was against it but I had to save the money.
I think I've covered everything that needs to be done. Hoping that someone with more experience can suggest something I missed.

Two batteries are shot and were before I winterized. I checked the boat in November and the remaining 4 were in good shape. I disconnected all the batteries electrically from the boat but kept the house batteries connected in parallel. I will connect the charger when I go next week to check on the boat.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Old deckhand's Avatar
 
City: Sitka
Country: Same
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 497
I always do an oil change even if it was changed just prior to lay up. Years ago I took a Shell oil class and they demonstrated that the oil becomes a little acidic over lay up and recommend an oil change.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #6
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueYonder View Post
I'm going through the same routine this week across the bay from you.

Good time to replace the raw water impellers (including the genset). They may take a "set" during the winter. Your engine manual may have detailed instructions on the proper way to start after a long layup. My old Yanmar required you to hit the starter while you held the stop button. This would allow oil to pump through the motor without starting it. Some more recent engines (my Cummins QSC is one), will not start until the oil pressure has risen to a minimum level.

If you haven't been on a charger this winter, you might test the batteries to ensure they are still ok.

If you have a dripless shaft seal, make sure you "burp" it after the boat goes in the water.

Have fun
All good points. I plan on replacing 2 batts the other 4 are good.

Packing on the shafts have been replaced over the winter and the mechanic says he wants to be there when I splash. He's a little worried the stuffing box nut may not be tight enough.
Good point on the impellers. The Cummins impellers are difficult to get to so I might have the mechanic replace those while were splashing.
Didn't think to look at the engine manual, will do so.

Thanks BlueYonder.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:48 AM   #7
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
I always do an oil change even if it was changed just prior to lay up. Years ago I took a Shell oil class and they demonstrated that the oil becomes a little acidic over lay up and recommend an oil change.
Hmmm.. didn't know that!!
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:39 PM   #8
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,740
I always turn the engine over for a few seconds with the fuel turned off until the gage starts to register pressure.
I have a "stop" button I can depress on my current boat.
When I had the 6B Cummins, I would pull the connector for the fuel solenoid.
If your Cummins doesn't start right up, you are losing fuel out of you lines someplace. (Possibly your return going into the tank is above the fuel level. )Try going thru the bleeding process first. Good practice for when you need to do it under duress.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
Guru
 
City: gulf coast
Country: pinellas
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,199
Cummins recommends periods of cranking with fuel solenoid disconnected to get oil circulating. The fact that yours wont fire right up indicates fuel drain down but the cranking is Ok to get oil flowing. Don't crank more than 30 seconds or so without letting starter cool.
Do not crank generator without starting however as if you have a water lift muffler you will drown it.
Open seacocks!!!!!
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM   #10
Guru
 
Bacchus's Avatar
 
City: Seneca Lake NY
Country: US
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Anything else I need to do and suggestions on getting the engines started??
Tim
The other chore I include is to treat / sanitize fresh water system w/ clorox.
There is another thread that discusses this in detail - concentration - duration - etc. Damp tanks & HWH can "grow" unwanted stuff during the lay-up...
best to do the treatment to start the season... IMHO
__________________
Don
MS 34 HT Trawler
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #11
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
OK, thanks again everyone. I'm going to read my Cummins manual before starting and will definitely disconnect the fuel start solenoid and crank several seconds to get oil circulating before start, thanks bayview for that tip. Same for the genny.

Changing impellers is a pain on the Cummins engine but will probably attempt myself. I've done it before so I know what a pain it is.

I know how to prime the engines, another good tip, so I'll do that too. Actually I have a squeeze bulb priming system so that makes it very easy.

Water system should not be an issue. I drained as much as I could the water in the tank and filled the supply side with pink stuff, not the hot water heater, I drained that too. A cup of chlorine in the tank and flushed a couple of times should clear out anything that grew in the small amount of water left in the tank or hot water heater.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #12
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Do not crank generator without starting however as if you have a water lift muffler you will drown it.
Open seacocks!!!!!
OOOPS, just saw that about the genny.
__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #13
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Water system should not be an issue. I drained as much as I could the water in the tank and filled the supply side with pink stuff, not the hot water heater, I drained that too. A cup of chlorine in the tank and flushed a couple of times should clear out anything that grew in the small amount of water left in the tank or hot water heater.

Just FYI, you might be surprised at how long it takes for residual pink stuff to finally disappear. Not a real problem, just might seem to you that it's taking forever.

We drain our tanks and use compressed air through the system...then use only about 1-second's worth of pink through the just the filter/pump/accumulator. Even that little amount took me about 15 minutes to get ride of...

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 10:19 AM   #14
Guru
 
timjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,905
Thanks Chris for the heads up. Having never done this before I'm sure I'm in for a few other surprises. I might wear out the water pump flushing
__________________

__________________
Tim
Tampa Bay
Carver 355 ACMY Twin Cummins Diesels Sold
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012