Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #1
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Re-bedding hardware and sealing deck

I've been removing and re-bedding stanchions for some time now, but today when I was speaking to a private contractor about sealing and painting my upper deck, he said that when finding rot in the core of decks below the stanchions, one shouldn't fill the area with epoxy and re-drill the holes because the epoxy is too rigid and will eventually crack with force on the stanchion or cleat, eventually leading back to the same water intrusion that causes the problem to begin with. He said it should be bunged with teak or some other moisture resistant wood, using epoxy to adhere the wood, then re-drilled and bolted through the bung instead of the epoxy. Anybody ever hear of this process?
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:10 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. hh. Interesting observation. I've never really thought about the rigidity and re-cracking aspect but he may have a point. One of the problems I can see with that approach is if the rot is fairly substantial, the bung, even though epoxied in, will be attached to, well, rot. At some point, even with a very large "bung", there will still be an epoxy interface which will still be subject to aforementioned rigidity and subsequent re-cracking will there not? I can see some merit to scarfing in a larger wooden patch as opposed to just a bung.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
HH: Was he talking about using un-thicken epoxy which I could understand could crack/fracture. With properly thickened epoxy and enough of the core removed from around the hole before you fill/drill, the epoxy should be as strong if not stronger than the fiberglass (IMHO). Addressing the rot is an other issue.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
FF
Guru

The solution we have been using is to simply raise the level of the stanchon base .

That way the water has to be more than 3/4 or an inch deep to even see the thru deck fastenings.

Low cost , easy and works well.

A very robust backing plate also helps stop leaks from motion.

Here 5200 works well , as does thru bolting , no screws.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
The solution we have been using is to simply raise the level of the stanchon base .
Awesome idea. I'll do that when the time comes!

Cheers for the tip!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Two words: Butyl Tape!

Re-Bedding Deck Hardware Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Gonz....I've been using Butyl Tape for sealing the hardware. After some experiments in the last rainy season, I can see it it an ideal sealant. I purposely left some of the butyl overflow sit around the stanchion bases for about 6 months, and it has lost none of its gummy texture.

FF: Where do you get the material for raising the stanchions. I've seen those base pads on newer Krogens and I agree, it eliminates the area from becoming a deck recess for water to collect. It must also help with deck core compression when tightening up. Backing plates would be tough in some areas over windows....maybe teak blocks with washers.

RC: Of course, your right about the eventual interface with the bung and the deck coring. I haven't really seen much indication of deck rot, but there is some blackening of the end-grain balsa when drilling through. Ultimately, I'd have to replace the coring necessary for the bonding of any epoxy interface.

Larry: Makes sense about the thickening of the Epoxy. I've heard this process being successful on other boats. I think I'll go with the base plates in combination with the thickened epoxy filler.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #8

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Question: what hardware needs to be bedded? I mounted an outboard motor bracket to the stern and it didn't even occur to me to bed it.
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggiolini View Post
Question: what hardware needs to be bedded? I mounted an outboard motor bracket to the stern and it didn't even occur to me to bed it.
All exterior hardware IMO

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggiolini View Post
Might pay to pull it off and seal that sh!t up mate.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

City: Boerne, Tx
Vessel Name: HEY JUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee #46
Larry...I was instructed by the surveyor & have read since to do exactly as you proposed. The object is to have the new screws embedded their full length in epoxy, not wood.

Remove enough core around the screw holes to make a "mold" per se in the core for the thicken epoxy to settle into leaving a slight hump. Mold should be deeper than the length of the screw. Sand the hump level, drill pilot holes for new screws, chamfer or counter sink the pilot holes, apply non-hardening sealant to deck, set screws to final torque asap. The sealant will form an o-ring around the screw in the chamfer depression.

Adding raised beds for all stations would be nice, wish Krogen would have thought about that in the 80s when our Manatees were built instead of us having to do it now. If you find a source for sheet material suitable for making raised beds let us know your source. I’d would go the extra steps to add those under all my stations.
HEY JUDE, a 1986 Kadey Krogen 36 Manatee, #46 of 99. After 13 yrs on Lake Travis she's on Clear Lake TX being prepped for coastal cruising.
HeyJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 AM   #12
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We redid all the stanchions on our sailboat three years ago. The process involved just what is described - overdrilling holes, digging out core, inserting a small amount of unthickened epoxy to soak the balsa, filling with thickened epoxy, then redrilling and installing new hardware with butyl rubber and new, oversized backing plates. In a few spots, we had to cut the deck just smaller than the base of the stanchion in order to dig out enough core to hit dry material. After three years, including a storm incident with another boat that resulted in two stanchions being bent in half (and the other boat being totaled), we have not had one issue with the deck cracking. I'm a firm believer in this process. Also, we bedded everything with the butyl that RC sells on his Compass Marine website (cited above). Even with all the movement of the stanchions from the storm damage, nothing leaked. Prior to buying his butyl rolls, we had used some supposed butyl rubber from a big box store, but it actually dried out after a year, so be careful what you use (it is not all created equal). In other words, I'm a firm believer in this process.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Guru

Great testamony, Carolena. It sure sounds like your efforts were worth the trouble. And Phil,....I'm sure I can get some scrap glass off of some salvage joints...I just wondered if FF had a resource for the 3/4" bases. It would save time and cleaning/sanding of the scrap.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #14

City: Kent Island
Vessel Name: Sundowner
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36 MrkII
There has been some new buzz about using this. I went into WM the other day and they never head of it! I went down the road to the RV store and thay had a lifetime supply roll for $10.69 I will be using it for my upcoming projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonzoF1 View Post
Gulfstar 36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #15
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I use West System Epoxy with #4 additive injected into the hole that fills the void and also absorbed into the surrounding teak, re drill, and again using thickened epoxy around the hole under the part and screw/fasten tight.

For large voids, I use a hex L or nail on a drill to clean out and/or enlarge the void, soak paper towels in epoxy and stuff in the void, let dry. For smaller holes facial tissue works. I do not used caulking for refastening
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:26 AM   #16
FF
Guru

Where do you get the material for raising the stanchions.

Scrap, is the source , most solid glass transomes are nice and thick and when a boat is scrapped the yard seldom minds if you saw ourt a chunk.

As sawsall with grit blade makes fast work.

When we did new construction I would lay up a flat using whatever glass , and resin was extra during a lamination. New , free , and legal FR resin.

Pro boat builder now has advertisers for thick material that is solid and sticks well to resin.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #17

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Might pay to pull it off and seal that sh!t up mate.
Yeah, I figure I better but boy, that was a pain to put on......
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

City: California
Vessel Model: 36 Krogen Manatee
Curious about your re bedding job on the Manatee. Were you able to disconnect that rail from the base at each stantion or did you have to take the whole railing off? I have one that leaks and I need to get it addressed before the rain starts. I'll do them all next year while I'm hauled the right way by refilling and drilling new holes. In the meantime... I've got the butyl tape. Can I just lift the screws and have enough clearance to clean the bottom? Your experience and recommendations are greatly appreciated.
captgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:03 AM   #19
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
How about Starboard to raise the stantions?
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
FF
Guru

the epoxy is too rigid and will eventually crack

Epoxy can be as flexible as the hardener you chose to use.

From a brick to a fishing pole , your choice.