Re-bedding deck fittings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gar

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Heritage East 36
Hi all, I purchased a trawler in Feburary and one of the items on the survey was high moisture readings around the water & fuel fills. The water fills leak in to the cabin. Should I try to dry out the core around the fittings before re-bedding ? If so, how would I accomplish this, or would it be fruitless & just caulk now to stop it. Any advise is appreciated. Thanks

If you trap the moisture in, it will never go away and continue to wick out through the core.

I would want to remove the moisture then seal.

Others may have differing opinions.

Reactions: gar
Gar: There's at least one guy here in Stuart, FL that does relatively "rapid" drying of hulls when doing major peal and glass jobs on cored hulls. He first makes sure that the core has no salt intrusion left, mainly by powerwashing the hull every day for a couple of weeks. Then, he uses alcohol baths to dry out the water for another week. I'm telling you this because I am also using alcohol to dry my own deck stanchion bases. Then, depending on the condition of the balsa core, I either douse with GitRot several times, or I may drill a larger hole, fill with thickened epoxy, and then drill out the original size holes before remounting. Of course, one should do one's best to rid the deck of any known rot, so if you find it, go after it.

I'm getting a deck and hull repair done right now because of moisture in Stuart.

We used the cut away, recore and then refiberglass method. It's a lot of work but, so far, the results has been outstanding.

He is replacing the balsa core with balsa back to factory specs so any hull inspection will give consistent results.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom