Old 12-10-2016, 05:15 AM   #1

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
Raw Water Hose Type

My boat has the steel reinforced marine exhaust hose for raw water inlet hoses... I can understand the outlet one attached to exhaust, but for the rest of the system isn't this hose about 1000% overkill since it never gets even remotely hot? What am I missing? Abrasion resistance?
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:40 AM   #2
Guru

City: Niceville, FL
Vessel Name: At Last
Vessel Model: 1990 Jefferson 52 Marquessa
What ever you use needs to be non collapsible. That is why they use the wire reinforced. The suction from your water pump will collapse a non reinforced hose.
Rogerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
You can use this Trident non wire reinforced hose on the discharge side of the raw water pump- Trident Heavy Duty Engine Intake Water & Heater Hose

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
As stated he sure to use wire reinforced on the suction side. That is anywhere between the pump, strainer and / or thru hull. Don't skimp on any hoses as they are a relitvely inexpensive item that can cause a lot of damage if they fail.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
......... Don't skimp on any hoses as they are a relitvely inexpensive item that can cause a lot of damage if they fail.

Raw water hoses are not a good place to go cheap. It will be only a few dollars more to get the best. A failed hose on the raw water side (of the engine or air conditioner) can sink your boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #6

Thanks all. Was just curious why exhaust hose... as that's not necessarily adding a structural improvement, part of it is heat tolerance.

Also I'm not sure $8/foot is cheap there is a solid ~100ft of that stuff on here but agreed probably not a place to skimp.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
Guru

City: Vermont
I think there are three basic characteristics of hose;

1) Heat resistance

2) Resistance to collapsing from suction, and from kinking when bent.

3) Physical durability.

For non-exhaust applications you don't need the heat resistance, but you generally need the other two characteristics.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Trident sells two wire reinforced non exhaust hoses for raw water applications. They are less expensive and more bendable.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 10:42 AM   #9
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The only reason to use wire reinforced hose (hard wall) is to prevent the hose from kinking when it makes a tight bend or to keep it from collapsing under suction.

You should avoid using hard wall hose if you can. It will fail sooner than an equal soft wall hose. The wire eventually rusts, expands and delaminates the hose. Always use soft wall hose if you can but sometimes you just have to use hard wall.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
There might be some confusion as to what is best.

I have seen trident wire reinforced hose crack and steel wire so corroded in such a short time that calling it I the best category might be misleading.

I have been replacing hoses for along time and many in my last 15 years working in the marine trades.....I would be hard pressed to say whether there is a best.

On the other hand, using unsuitab,e hose isn't the answer.

If some one here has ever tried reseal g the hose where the wire was cut, I would be interested if they say any appreciable results.

I have seen cheap automotI've hose last just as long....so I am skeptical of the concept that you are assured long life by brand or type of hose...but am curious to the offshoot findings of others.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
The only reason to use wire reinforced hose (hard wall) is to prevent the hose from kinking when it makes a tight bend or to keep it from collapsing under suction.

You should avoid using hard wall hose if you can. It will fail sooner than an equal soft wall hose. The wire eventually rusts, expands and delaminates the hose. Always use soft wall hose if you can but sometimes you just have to use hard wall.
Ya the delamination is what I'm looking at now. Just at the ends but they need to be replaced. There are a few bits of silicone on the boat too but I think its about the same price and exhaust hose and main application for that material is high heat if I understand it correctly.

Any recommendations for a non-hardwall brand/model of hose?