Rain damage...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Don't see any way out except to paint over it.

Attachments

• IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 91
First, find and fix the leak. Secondly, a good joinery guy can fix that up good as new. Lastly, don't blame the rain.

Repairing water stained teak is tough and maybe a boat carpenter is the best solution. You/he will have to sand it down, bleach out the black mold and then revarnish. As noted above, it can be done, but takes some skill.

David

And when you get good at doing it, you can come and repair a couple of places on my boat...

I am exploring the possibility of placing new teak veneer on top. Then refinishing is easy.

I had luckily a small spot that was almost that bad. It cleaned up with a little oxalic acid and teak oil. My teak is Daly’s teak oil not varnish. Otherwise I’d just pull the teak plywood and replace. If you can find matching veneer, go with it.

I am exploring the possibility of placing new teak veneer on top. Then refinishing is easy.

I asked a friend who is a shipwright. Small, out of the way areas, he’ll try to blend them in but it’s still pretty obvious if you know where to look. Large areas can get expensive and most boat owners live with it. He also has covered water damaged areas with Formica. A better finish than paint and it can lighten up a wall.

It's not that tough, but takes some elbow grease. The hardest part is the right stain. You sand, wood bleach the affected area, neutralize the bleach, dry, stain and revarnish.
If you're a little off on the stain, it'll look like a wood blemish.

If you want it perfect, sand or strip and sand the entire panel and restain.

Mine aren’t that bad so I just ignore them.

I've been trying and trying to tell you that corner needs a light fixture … or maybe a stuffed rabbit.

I would try an aniline dye mixture. After sanding and stain removal, they can be blended/layered into the surrounding wood. Worth a try before replacing or veneering the existing plywood.

Back
Top Bottom