Old 04-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Racor drain plug

I have a Racor 75900MAX primary fuel filter system in the ER. It has performed great but it is a real pain to drain some fuel out of the bottom to check it. It has a metal screw-in plug that has to be completely removed to get any fuel to come at. Then it really FLOWS and you have to screw the plug back in to stem the tide. (Of course it is where you can't actually see it at the time, only do it by feel).

On past Racors I've had, there was always a plastic screw plug with a slot which allowed you to loosen the plug, get the fuel to flow through the slot to take a sample, and then tighten it again. No mess, no fuss.

So, anyone know if I can buy the same type of thing for these filters? I have a metal bowl shield, I think because of the filter placement location in the ER, so maybe that is also why it has a metal plug? Are there metal drain plugs that work the same as the plastic ones?

Finally, I am looking for suggestions on what to do with the fuel sample that I drain out. It is always clean and dry but...
How do you store the sample? What kind of container, where in the boat, how long do you keep it before disposing of it?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
Guru

City: Northport
I had good luck with these 1/4 turn valves on my last Racors....

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=6451
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I don't see any point in storing a fuel sample from a fuel filter. You should be able to dispose of it anywhere you dispose of used motor oil.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:39 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
..., I am looking for suggestions on what to do with the fuel sample that I drain out. It is always clean and dry but...
How do you store the sample? What kind of container, where in the boat, how long do you keep it before disposing of it?
We keep an old but in good condition, 6 gallon red jerry jug in the engine room. I use that. Our engine holds ~14 quarts of oil, the running gear 2.5 quarts and the generator ~3 quarts. That gives us enough storage for a complete liquid change plus all the liquids from the fuel/oil filters and misc lubricants. No gasoline or paint solvants though. When we get somewhere that has good waste oil dump, we empty it even if there is only a couple of quarts.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

City: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Vessel Name: Stout
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Dave, I installed 1/4" ball valves on the bowls of all of our Racors. It makes it very easy to drain any amount. I installed caps on the discharge side of the valve nipple for safety. Let me know if you want a picture.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I don't see any point in storing a fuel sample from a fuel filter. You should be able to dispose of it anywhere you dispose of used motor oil.
Yup, I change oil once a year. At the marinas around here, very few have used oil containers. That means that I have to haul my used oil to the auto parts store where I buy my oil. I could do that with the fuel sample, but I would like to check the fuel more often than I want to make a trip to the auto parts store. If I could store the samples in a convenient and safe way, then I could dispose of it less frequently which would be more convenient.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #7
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
.......... If I could store the samples in a convenient and safe way, then I could dispose of it less frequently which would be more convenient.
A used oil jug (one gallon) would work. So would a one gallon fuel jug.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
I had good luck with these 1/4 turn valves on my last Racors....

https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoling View Post
Dave, I installed 1/4" ball valves on the bowls of all of our Racors. It makes it very easy to drain any amount. I installed caps on the discharge side of the valve nipple for safety. Let me know if you want a picture.
Good ideas there. I will need to check to see what the thread size is on the bottom of the Racor bowls.

I would love to see a photo if it is convenient for you.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Dave
I don't have a pic but I added a petcock to the bottom of my Racor as well as a hose barb and short length of hose.
Makes draining the racor easy-peezey.
I've done a drain while underway with admiral at the helm I was able to go below, check for water and do a drain while maintaining a low speed... really helped when I got some water in my tank. Makes filter changes easy as well.
I got my petcock at NAPA - I think the plug is 1/8" NPT worth a check to confirm - I'm guessing the racor site might have the info??
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #10
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
On past Racors I've had, there was always a plastic screw plug with a slot which allowed you to loosen the plug, get the fuel to flow through the slot to take a sample, and then tighten it again. No mess, no fuss.

So, anyone know if I can buy the same type of thing for these filters? I have a metal bowl shield, I think because of the filter placement location in the ER, so maybe that is also why it has a metal plug? Are there metal drain plugs that work the same as the plastic ones?

Search the Parker-Racor site for brass shut-off valve part number RK 19492. Same as what Smitty posted...

-Chris
Old 04-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We keep an old but in good condition, 6 gallon red jerry jug in the engine room. I use that. Our engine holds ~14 quarts of oil, the running gear 2.5 quarts and the generator ~3 quarts. That gives us enough storage for a complete liquid change plus all the liquids from the fuel/oil filters and misc lubricants. No gasoline or paint solvants though. When we get somewhere that has good waste oil dump, we empty it even if there is only a couple of quarts.
Excellent idea. Unfortunately, I don't really have the space for a 6 gallon jug. When I change the oil I have everything I need in a plastic tub with a lid, that includes 2 x 3 gal jugs for the waste oil. Maybe what I can do is get a very small plastic gas can and label is clearly.

Then for the sample itself, I was thinking of a small glass jar with a lid that will fit inside another plastic container with a lid. I hate having the boat smell like diesel so I am pretty careful about spills and sealing away smells.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Dave
I don't have a pic but I added a petcock to the bottom of my Racor as well as a hose barb and short length of hose.
Makes draining the racor easy-peezey.
I've done a drain while underway with admiral at the helm I was able to go below, check for water and do a drain while maintaining a low speed... really helped when I got some water in my tank. Makes filter changes easy as well.
I got my petcock at NAPA - I think the plug is 1/8" NPT worth a check to confirm - I'm guessing the racor site might have the info??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Search the Parker-Racor site for brass shut-off valve part number RK 19492. Same as what Smitty posted...

-Chris
Great minds and all that.

I will check the Racor site and see what I can find. You guys are AWESOME!

Edit: Using the information that you gave me, I was able to confirm that is the part I need. I ordered a couple of them for about $67.00. This will make checking those filters much easier which means I will do it more often. Thanks again.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-03-2017, 06:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My Racors have the retained type drain plug,being plastic, I carry a spare bowl.
As to disposal of drainage, I keep a 2L plastic bottle(recycled from its original purpose) in the ER. I drain into a paper cup, pour that into the bottle. I like checking the bottle to see what the filters caught, very little if any water these days. Empty the bottle when full, that can take weeks/months.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 07:34 PM   #14

City: North Port, FL
Vessel Name: Seven Tenths (sold)
Vessel Model: Mirage / Great Harbour 47
I keep a 2gallon fuel jug in the engine room for filling the racors when I change filters. If the fuel is drained out of the bottom of the filter and is clean/waterless, then I would put it back in the jug.
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #15

City: Lake Oswego, Oregon
Vessel Name: Stout
Hi Dave, Here are a couple of pictures of the setup I installed. I bought the fittings from Pacific Hose & Fittings, a hose shop near our moorage here in PDX.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6254.jpg   IMG_6259.jpg  
Old 04-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #16
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
How about using those petcock drains. Come in 1/4 or 1/8 NPT.

Some have ear handles, some don't.
Powermate 1/4 in. NPT Tank Drain Valve-072-0006RP - The Home Depot
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:30 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
With a permanently installed drain wiith a valve shutoff you are supposed to have a cap on the drain in case of a leak. The Racor shutoff valve comes with the cap.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:51 AM   #18
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Just bought the shut-off valve here for $32.50, free shipping...
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd View Post
Just bought the shut-off valve here for $32.50, free shipping...
Yup, I got one from there as well after buying another for $34.00 elsewhere. I am still waiting for them to arrive. Should be shortly.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 04-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #20
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Quote:
Good ideas there. I will need to check to see what the thread size is on the bottom of the Racor bowls.
I put a couple of ball valves on a previous boat and remember the threads being a little strange. Someone called them "O" ring threads. I can't remember the size. I would not mind having a couple of more if someone figures this out.
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote