Question re drying hull prior to bottom paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt Kangeroo

Vessel Name
NONE
Vessel Make
NONE
Can any of you guys advise how long I need to dry the hull before applying bottom paint. I am not removing old paint, just light sanding and then recoat.

Thanks

Can any of you guys advise how long I need to dry the hull before applying bottom paint. I am not removing old paint, just light sanding and then recoat.

Thanks
For normal antifouling bottom paint, no other issues like peeling or blisters, they usually just let my boat sit overnight after power washing and paint the next day and drop it back in the following day. If it looks like it's going to rain, probably a good idea to hang some plastic sheeting, taped to the hull above your paint line.

Usually overnight is fine but knowing the types of paint (on and going on), thicknesses and condition of existing paint, temperature of hull, temperatures throughout drying times, humidity are all supposed to factor in.

Not sure that it matters. Many times I have seen a yard, haul a boat, pressure wash it before lunch and start painting after lunch and the paint is fine for the rest of the season. Will it last 3 years? Can't say as that's usually the cycle where I am.

If using an Interlux product, I have found their tech support very good.

Thanks guys, that's as I had hoped. I'll probably get it hauled & washed on a friday, and paint on monday.

I do have some blisters which I have no intention of fixing but I wonder if I should pop them before painting to let the acid out or just leave them alone? Anyone care to comment on this?

Depends on size, usually blisters stop at the first layer of roving. If the hull when tapped near the blister sounds dull you may have delamination which needs to be addressed. If the hull is solid can leave them for another time
Most yards allow twenty mins per blister for repair.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom