question about zinc selection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t understand why boat builders don’t go with aluminum anodes instead of zinc anodes. Guess they have a steep learning curve too.

I would hope they are more common on new boats being built today. 10-20 years ago is probably a different story. I get the feeling that today, most people still think zinc is the best unless they are boating in fresh water.

Zinc, aluminum or Magnesium are all anodes often called 'zincs' in a generic manor.

I'd recommend that you might have a 'leak' that could be causing the fast depletion of your anodes. The galvanic isolator may need to be replaced but if you have a ground that is not working a new GI won't stop the fast depletion.

There are ways to check but I'd suggest an electrician (ABYC certified) come to your boat to check it out. That would be the safest approach.

Good luck.

I agree with every suggestion in this thread but will chime in my 2 cents worth.
Volumes have been written on this subject, unfortunately no easy answers as every situation is different. Water temp, current, salinity, boats construction, marina wiring issues, other boats wiring issues, your boats wiring condition, etc etc.
I have been replacing anodes both up north in fresh water as well as in the south warm salt and brackish, seem to work well. I always check the hulls potential prior to and after replacement. Some boats require more alum than zinc due to the nobility of the metals being protected.
A good electrician should be able to test you galvanic isolator (frequently overlooked) if there is a problem I have been recommending and installing the Dairyland Isolator never had an issue with them.

https://www.dairyland.com/galvanic-isolators/

Also a good idea to have your boat tested for leakage and "fish" the water for stray currents as well around your boat and nearby boats as well. You might be very surprised to find your good neighbor is not doing you any favors by using your boat for his anode!
Sorry if I sound like I am rambling but there are so many causes that could be at play.
Good Luck and I wish you well!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom