Old 10-03-2016, 04:53 AM   #1

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Protecting Teak Cap Rails From Sun

Our teak cap rails were finished by the dealer when she was a new stock boat.
Since then we've had them refinished twice, and most recently with an Awlgrip 3-part acrylic on top of 12 coats of varnish, and they look great!

My question is, is there any type of wax or other protectant that I can apply to shield the brightwork from the harsh, south Florida sun rays?

We don't use the boat in summer so I won't mind if it looks a bit ugly, like applying a paste wax and not buffing it off, leaving as a thick top coat. This is the idea as I cannot wrap most of the brightwork because it's attached directly to the top of the hull, with no space under it.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:02 AM   #2
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I am trying Aerospace 303 protectant on my finish on the wood transom.
https://www.amazon.com/303-30313-CSR...=aerospace+303

Has no effect on the gloss that I can tell. And so far wood looks the same, no degrading.Will see over a whole year how it does.
The idea is your teak has a plastic surface and the 303 made for plastics has an SPF of 40 which blocks more than 97% of UV rays. And UV light is what damages the finish. Outdoors you need to put it on every 30 to 45 days in the summer and every couple months in winter.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #3

The 303 looks like what I'm looking for. How long ago did you apply it.
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2016, 05:28 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Some folks will have white covers made to avoid sun and moisture damage.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: .
The only 100 % efficient solution for me.
Attached Thumbnails
WINTER 1.jpg   WINTER 2.jpg   SUMMER.jpg  
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 AM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
Thanks!
Just a month ago. I too am running a test, so far it looks great. 303 has many thousands of great reviews on multiple web sites. I figure so many like it, must actually work. It is made by the same company that makes fuel Stabil.

I actually sprayed it on the wood, then used my hand to rub it all over, then buffed it with a cotton rag. (also Has NO silicones). The surface feels silky smooth.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:50 AM   #7

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
I have covers made from sunbrella that snap around my railsz
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #8
Guru

I think if I had sunbrella covers what will happen, I would never take them off.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
Thanks!
I would have a talk with who ever does your bright work before you contaminate their hard work with any protectant product.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #10

Since 75% of my brightwork is tight to the hull the only way I could get covers to stay put would be to add many snaps, on both sides of the cap rail.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:36 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
I would have a talk with who ever does your bright work before you contaminate their hard work with any protectant product.
The negativity is showing when you use the word 'contaminate'.
Those hard wood workers may very well be negative, if it means less work for them.

I promise to keep people informed as to how it does. So far been through multiple storms, and boat trips with water slapping the transom, and looks and feels the same. I do like the way it feels. It has been what, a month? and I have not noticed anything different about the finish.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
The negativity is showing when you use the word 'contaminate'.
Those hard wood workers may very well be negative, if it means less work for them.

I promise to keep people informed as to how it does. So far been through multiple storms, and boat trips with water slapping the transom, and looks and feels the same. I do like the way it feels. It has been what, a month? and I have not noticed anything different about the finish.
I think you missed the direction SD was going when he said "contaminate"

He was referring to the surface being contaminated in regards to the next time finish needs to be applied to the Awlgrip. 303 is a great product in its design but there is no way I would put it on my varnished teak rails.. just too much risk.

I consider teak brightwork to be on par with a trophy wife... LOTS of maintenance .. but worth it!

HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:00 AM   #13
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I use 303 on the hypalon dinghy fabric. I do not and would not use it on bright work. Being away from the boat the directions are not available. However, I think they say to apply it once a month.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:06 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
I think you missed the direction SD was going when he said "contaminate"

He was referring to the surface being contaminated in regards to the next time finish needs to be applied to the Awlgrip. 303 is a great product in its design but there is no way I would put it on my varnished teak rails.. just too much risk.

I consider teak brightwork to be on par with a trophy wife... LOTS of maintenance .. but worth it!

HOLLYWOOD
No problem to clean it off if going to refinish. Scrub with dish soap, rinse. And then wet sand and rinse. Nothing will survive that. Hopefully you wont have to refinish, that's the whole idea using it at least for me, less wood work.
Ignore the idea your putting it on wood, your actually putting it on a plastic finish. The stuff is designed to protect plastic surfaces.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
We used 303 on the dacron sailcloth that was the wing covering on UL aircraft. It was almost universally accepted as a must do.

I suspect that it may be a bit like silicone in that 303 may seroiusly inhibit adhesion when recoating the finish. I would find out about that before using.

Pilou,
We had a member in the past that had full covers .. Marin Fare. Is there a French connection?

Marin never took his covers off. He cruised w them on even in the summer I'm quite sure.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:41 AM   #16
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
I've used 303 and seem to recall warnings about using hand and breathing protection. I definitely would not be applying it with my bare hands.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:59 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
You have Awlgrip as the topcoat. Surely it needs nothing more.
A recent thread discussed putting wax on Awlgrip, and some contributors disputed that being OK for the Awlgrip, as AG itself is supposed to be the answer. Surely that applies to clear as well as opaque AG.

Talk first to the Awlgrip folks.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:56 AM   #18
Guru

City: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Pilou,
We had a member in the past that had full covers .. Marin Fare. Is there a French connection?

Marin never took his covers off. He cruised w them on even in the summer I'm quite sure.
Salut Eric,

I have no connection with Marin which I had never heard of before last August when I registered in TrawlerForum. Indeed as soon as I signed up here, some prominent members of TF (and perhaps a few others) had wrongly thought I was a member (the "famous" personage Marin who has been previously banned from TF) coming back onto the forum masquerading as a French woman, me in this case. This person has a French name and French contacts (like me), travels a lot (like me), has a Grand Banks (like me), takes a lot of photos (like me). That is why these prominent members suspected I was this person, and unpleasantly posted as they did.

It was a silly game which didn't amuse myself for too long and this made me very mad. It was at that point that I wrote strong unpleasant posts back while they kept on playing it. Thanks to my good friend and very professional moderator Peter B, the situation became clearer and everything was as it should be. For the anecdote, I am now friends with two of these posters. It is a pity I started my journey aboard TF by posting in this way, and by giving the impression I was a rude person whereas that's not my style but there were no grounds to suspecting me anymore. Eric, right now I am not arguing of course, I am only explaining since you asked about Marin, only future matters.

Back to the sunbrella full covers. In October 2015 I ordered them to a local upholstery, I put them on my rails from October to end of March, so far so very good.

Pilou
Yahoo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
I've used 303 and seem to recall warnings about using hand and breathing protection. I definitely would not be applying it with my bare hands.
https://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/...Protectant.pdf

Possible dermatitis. But see, I use my hands a lot for all sorts of chemicals, coatings, oils, glues, gasoline, and dont wear gloves. I don't react to anything, not sensitised to epoxy, polyester or paint or any chemical I know of. Reason for spreading with hands, it worked well and did not waste as much. I started by spraying and spreading with a rag, the 3030 seemed harmless to me, so starting spreading it with my hand. It washed off my hands fine with soap. My hands have pretty thick skin.

Says has a matte finish, I wondered about that, would it affect the gloss, and it did not. I think what they mean is matte finish is maintained. A lot of people use this on cars and vinyls and would not want to create a gloss on the car dash or a place where you would not want to see a gloss.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I threw my covers away. They were an eyesore. What's the point of spending valuable time and effort on brightwork just to cover it up? I see mine everyday. If something needs a touch up, I do it. Kinda reminds me of grandmas front room. All her best furniture encased in plastic wraps. 😎

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote