Protecting Teak Cap Rails From Sun

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rail caps

here we go.

Attachments

• IMG_2680.jpg
    IMG_2680.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 62
On Klee Wyck, I have canvas on the bulwark rail cap and only take them off once or twice a year. I normally cruise with them on unless I have some specific reason to show off the teak.
I painted and varnished enough when I was young to know a couple of things about it, i.e. I don't like to do it and I am not good at it.
On Libra, painted steel caps, stainless rails and the only exterior wood is the doors.
We will see which requires less time to care for. Still being busy with work and worry, maintenance time comes directly out of boating time and boating time is precious.

Attachments

• 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20160408_165008.jpg
    20160408_165008.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 70
On Klee Wyck, I have canvas on the bulwark rail cap and only take them off once or twice a year. I normally cruise with them on unless I have some specific reason to show off the teak.
I painted and varnished enough when I was young to know a couple of things about it, i.e. I don't like to do it and I am not good at it.
On Libra, painted steel caps, stainless rails and the only exterior wood is the doors.
We will see which requires less time to care for. Still being busy with work and worry, maintenance time comes directly out of boating time and boating time is precious.

Congrats on getting Libra to her new home!! That was a labor of lust:smitten:

Thanks Mark, indeed it was. Good to have it behind me!

Professionally ?

No, but having a wood boat you can understand I have done a lot of painting and clear coating, inside and outside. And have owned it since 1998.
I don't think my wood is any different from other people's wood.

I have also finished many pieces of wood furniture over decades. I am pretty good with wood.

Regarding wood and refinishing, nothing scares me, I just do what is needed, and like to try different things.

No, but having a wood boat you can understand I have done a lot of painting and clear coating, inside and outside. And have owned it since 1998.
I don't think my wood is any different from other people's wood.

I have also finished many pieces of wood furniture over decades. I am pretty good with wood.

Regarding wood and refinishing, nothing scares me, I just do what is needed, and like to try different things.

I too like to try different things/technics. But I've also seen the results of trying to paint/varnish a surface that has lots of contamination on it. So I'm a bit leery of using 303 on "varnished" wood. :D

What very nice boats !

A number of years ago I called the mfg of 303 to ask if it was "safe" to apply to varnished/Awlgrip coated teak. The reply was"we don't know." As far as canvas goes, I through all of mine away years ago. What a pain they were and what a relief to get rid of it.

"New Fleming 78'.
Is that what you meant ?"

Actually it was a new Fleming 55 - Stunning, but a bit out of our price range :-(

Back
Top Bottom