Propeller Zinc Spray Paint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
boats at diffetent ends of a marina can have significantly different growth.

picking bottom paints is a crap shoot, saying zinc paint works or not is equally a crap shoot.

In my photo, its about 50% effective. :facepalm: So you can say it works or maybe not.
I'm going with not worth it.
I used Sea Hawk Monterrey on the running gear and keel this season. I tried Interlux ACT this season on the hull and its carrying a lot of barnacles on the sides. They come off pretty easy by hand but the boat speed is not enough to wash them away. Funny on my center console in NJ, if you just touch ACT in the water you come out with your hand covered blue. Only 3 more weeks and Im out for the summer.

I used Petit zinc spray for years on my Island Packet sailboat propeller on the Chesapeake Bay. One can usually put about 4 thin coats on the prop and it was the best antifouling I had ever used on the prop. The prop sat in Florida water for 3 years before haulout and only had minor barnacle growth after that time.
twSZEx4V0eXQLsD7v7odapY92vlmyIgl-xbdhptMz1kJxBKGzrj19ju1ChBA_ya62CCLz6QZHal3Px8XAE-dBQEyYDaFjmF74tMvZ2qMq6WTlnxMPNtIoWLpyyK-yoC5MKm1MY1Htpu-S6OI9WScpd-6fw45seAzzmk2ygGvVdYiS4ylgHG5NUY-8v7PXxbdIV3-9XewBtYz2Gk4MCwNEcWX8h54ypAL_3p8Y8RvppefGxhf-BzNrvS-7hDAQt7q3uJkJixGujqMuNw8KpECgSJfgwZIvzhx3aDVPMQukRZQlEMdx1C_oM4uZ96p83ocyKzR15uhQdhedM0gdlCTCWN4hnWaJAS3MeOwfh7AZN3oJDAh6ibjCTF64kanqMRUxQMk3Ojy89qrTlVaOw2ioVwIGfgXsKXJe5r4ziMxUomWVw4pHjfLKFctChVUbTHT-JAysYhXdUEr8m2AmH8Z4kcE1bm-YFXILqTKXETOc_59Yada8Sr3uN6COi9MBcX5rNQG1u8wtCgHOZe4Ge0Q_opH8RyshezpX-GsgPkjB53RZyKQl0nj66FQaANqVRDhCbl3SGpdj97iJAn9cT7mgvJy2DgMCW4Uz-BqBH0=w800-h600-no

Have used the Rustoleum galvanizing spray from Home Despot for a few years on our previous boat... a 34' sport cruiser with 18-20 knot cruise at 3450 rpm. So the props were turning at a good clip. The Rustoleum can was labeled "Professional"... less than $15 I believe. A number of boats in our marina use the same.

The boat sat at the dock during the week but was otherwise running in Barnegat Bay (salt water) almost every weekend from May into November. Applied it to the props, struts and shafts with good results, although like I said, we didn't sit at the dock much. At November haul out, just a power wash of the hull and running gear removed anything there. There were minimal if any barnacles or tube worms.

As of late fall we sold the sport cruiser and have a trawler that cruises at about 7k (single screw). Am planning to coat the prop with the same stuff after it comes back from tuning. Hopefully it'll keep the barnacles and tube worms off. Will try to report back in the fall. Spring is coming... honest.

Use the Pettit spray on all underwater metal this year,tabs shalf, props. yard price was 1/3 the price of worst marine, next haul in two years. well see how it does .

Back
Top Bottom