Old 02-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
gar
Veteran Member

City: cape charles
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
Question Prop anti-fouling treatments-is it worth it?

Hi all, I am a new member and have purchased a 36' single screw trawler. I am having the bottom painted and was asked if I want the prop treated as well with anti-fouling paint as well. I am not familiar with this & have not had a boat with it done. Is it worth-while to have done & how long does it hold up? Thanks
gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Welcome Aboard!
Yes, you should antifoul or otherwise treat the prop and associated parts, like support brackets/skegs, prop shaft, collectively called "the running gear". If you don`t you will get all kinds of growth incl shell, with loss of speed, and vibration.
If you use antifouling,it should be a hard type, not an ablative soft type you might use on the hull.
The best treatment for the running gear is Propspeed which I will do next time.
I am surprised the yard would ask that question.Maybe it was about using Propspeed.
How long a/f lasts depends on location. You`d hope the hull and running gear last as long as each other.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I've been using Prop Speed for four or five years now. It really makes a difference. In the past the prop was the first place I got fouling. Now the prop stays clean about as long as the bottom. I don't have the bottom cleaned for a year or more after getting new bottom paint, then the diver stretches it out to about two years before I haul and paint again. Prop Speed is expensive but I think it's worth it.
HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post
a 36' single screw trawler
Single screw ah ? hmmmmm

Welcome aboard..
Old 02-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

City: -
Depends on where your boat is, I think. Up here while the yard we use is happy to apply Prop Speed or another of the various coatings the yard is pretty ambivalent as to their effectiveness. If pressed the yard manager will tell you he thinks Prop Speed is not worth the cost in this climate.. Hull growth is not a huge issue here unless a boat mainly just sits.

A prop treatment they have been using a lot lately is what he calls "zinc in a spray can." It's pretty effective, he said, but it's only good for about a year. Most people here haul for bottom paint every two or three years, so their running gear has no anti-fouling for the last year or two. Which he told us kind of negates the advantage and cost of putting it on in the first place.

He asked how often we use our boat and when we told him he said if it was him he wouldn't bother with any prop or shaft treatment at all. Particularly since we, like a lot of people in our marina, have the local dive service check the boat twice a year. If barnacles get a foothold on the running gear, through hulls, or rudders it's an easy thing to knock them off.

But that's here. In warmer waters with lots of sunlight anti-fouling on props and shafts sounds like a smart thing to do judging from the comments and experience of our members in the southwestern Pacific. If one hauls once a year the zinc-in-a-spray-can might be a more cost effective solution than Prop Speed.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #6

City: Auckland
Vessel Name: Pioneer
Vessel Model: Westcoaster 53 converted to pleasure
Here in Auckland NZ which has a temperate climate (never snows and water temp varies from 12 deg C to 22+ deg C) absolutely everyone I know uses Propspeed. Got 30 months out antifoul, propspeed and zincs last time round. But, as Marin says, it may not be necessary in colder waters.
I'd still use it though, because you know your prop will always be clean and prop fouling slows a vessel down more than hull fouling.
Bendit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I'm yanking my boat out tomorrow here in Stuart, FL. I might consider Prop Speed if it doesn't cost me a fortune, but I heard it does. My diver says that my running gear is pretty covered each month when cleaning, but the Trinidad bottom paint keeps the bottom relatively unaffected.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I was in the boat office no more than five minutes ago and while I was there a bloke was quoted $740 for Prop Speed for a twin!

I have used prop speed on our boats a couple of times but have given it away as I didn't notice any major benefit over the years. The standard 3 coats of hard anti foul we now apply seem to have about the same life expectancy as the hull antifoul does, which in our part of the world is about 15-18 months. So when the boat is lifted both the hull and props are done at the same time. My two cents worth.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendit View Post
Here in Auckland NZ which has a temperate climate (never snows and water temp varies from 12 deg C to 22+ deg C) absolutely everyone I know uses Propspeed. Got 30 months out antifoul, propspeed and zincs last time round. But, as Marin says, it may not be necessary in colder waters.
I'd still use it though, because you know your prop will always be clean and prop fouling slows a vessel down more than hull fouling.
I absolutely endorse and confirm the above, I have managed to get 3 yrs out of my last a/f and propspeed here in warmer Queensland waters. It still seems to be so good in terms of lack of vib's and hull speed I'm going to very interested in the shape of it all when it does come out in our (so-called) winter.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
I'm yanking my boat out tomorrow here in Stuart, FL. I might consider Prop Speed if it doesn't cost me a fortune, but I heard it does. My diver says that my running gear is pretty covered each month when cleaning, but the Trinidad bottom paint keeps the bottom relatively unaffected.
Point of order healhustler...if you go with PropSpeed you must not have it brushed/cleaned as it will come off. That was one reason given to me why I didn't use it earlier was the scary story of it being all rubbed off if you run aground in sand or similar and the prop spins up a lot of bottom. I have decided I'd rather just risk that now it is so good, and be plenty careful not to kiss the bottom. Not such an issue with prop-protected single screw - more of an issue with some twins anyway I suspect.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I've used ArmorAll for 7 years or so and not had any fouling but most all of that time has been in Alaska.

Marin when you say "zinc in a spray can" do you mean aerosol can galvanizing? I modified an anchor w the addition of a piece of mild steel and put that stuff on and it held up really well. I was very surprised. I'd be hesitant to put it on a prop before I found out if it could damage the metal the prop is made of. What do you know about that?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
I just prime and paint it like the rest of the bottom and it does fine.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:21 PM   #13
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
You need the prop treated with something anti-fouling. I used to have them do it with regular bottom paint but it wore off pretty quick. Using Prop-Speed now and very happy.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Spray zinc galvanizing normally won't harm the prop (we zinc the shafts and rudder to protect them anyway but checking the contents would probably be a good idea just in case depending on your can) but where I am the zincs get covered with growth faster than anything...
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:03 PM   #15
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gar View Post
Hi all, I am a new member and have purchased a 36' single screw trawler. I am having the bottom painted and was asked if I want the prop treated as well with anti-fouling paint as well. I am not familiar with this & have not had a boat with it done. Is it worth-while to have done & how long does it hold up? Thanks

Hi Gar,
Congrats on the new boat. I see your in Cape Charles. I have had good success with Rustoleum Zink Galvinizing Primer in Deltaville, Your waters are the same as ours and you should have similar results. The bottom needs diving on a few times a summer but for $10 a can it's a good deal to me. Please tell us more about your boat and as always we need pics as many are not here for the articles
Old 02-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #16
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
If the opinion of a hull cleaner with 18+ years of experience means anything; PropSpeed works well but is expensive, short-lived and difficult to apply. Pettit Zinc Barnacle Barrier also works well, is inexpensive and very easy to apply. Lasts as long as PropSpeed, IMHO. I don't find that PropSpeed has any advantage over the Pettit product that even comes close to justifying the expense. That's my $.02.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:12 AM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats;
Marin when you say "zinc in a spray can" do you mean aerosol can galvanizing?
No, it's a name brand product specifically made as an anti-fouling coating for propellers. I used to know the brand name since we were considering it for our boat. I think it's about $40 a can, it takes about one can to do a prop. For our twin boat the product, prep, and application would have cost some $250-$300 IIRC. Carey had it done last year on his lobsterboat.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:39 AM   #18
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
This subject has been covered numerous times on this forum over the last 5 yers.
Prop Speed wins hands down every time.
I have a timber boat and haul it every 12 months and mostly get at least 24 months out of my prop Speed (as long as no one inadvertantly gives it a scrub or a brush)
Do a search and you will find heaps on this and I have attached a couple of photos.
Hauling out and going back in.This was after 18 months , I had delayed the haulout and boat wasn't used much. The Prop Speed was left intact.
Over the last 17 years I had tried all sorts of coatings but have settled on Prop Speed for the last 6. One very happy customer.
Cheers
Benn
Attached Thumbnails
P1080058.jpg   P1150067.jpg  
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 AM   #19
Guru

City: Perth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidahapah View Post
This subject has been covered numerous times on this forum over the last 5 yers.
Prop Speed wins hands down every time.
I have a timber boat and haul it every 12 months and mostly get at least 24 months out of my prop Speed (as long as no one inadvertantly gives it a scrub or a brush)
Do a search and you will find heaps on this and I have attached a couple of photos.
Hauling out and going back in.This was after 18 months , I had delayed the haulout and boat wasn't used much. The Prop Speed was left intact.
Over the last 17 years I had tried all sorts of coatings but have settled on Prop Speed for the last 6. One very happy customer.
Cheers
Benn
Hey Benno,
Mate, what's the name of the fitting on the prop shaft in the last pic?
Old 02-04-2013, 04:34 AM   #20
gar
Veteran Member

City: cape charles
Vessel Model: Heritage East 36
Many Thanks to all. I never thought I would get so many replies from near and far. I am bringing the vessel up to the lower Chesapeake in April & will post more info and pics then. I will ask the marina in North Carolina what brand of treatment he plans to use-he did not specify in his quote. Thanks Again.
gar is offline   Reply With Quote