Old 01-08-2018, 04:36 PM   #1

City: Freeport, TX.
Vessel Name: Rum Away
Vessel Model: '89 Bayliner 3888
Preferred Bilge Coatings

What are your preferences, and opinions on bilge paints. I don't really think I want to gel-coat. Interlux, Pettit, or Jamestown total boat bilge coatings? Advantages, disadvantages of each. They all appear to be fine products.

Thanks

Brian1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I repaint my aft bilge with bilge kote white and it was nice, at least cleaner than before I used pre kote as the primer and 2 layers of bilge kote.

Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #3

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
I used Bilge Kote in my sailboat, and probably will in the Bayliner once I get too it.
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I like Bilge Coat. Easy to clean stuff off it.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #5

City: SOBX North Carolina
I don't know what is currently on your bilge area now. But if its fiberglass now and you are looking for a good and durable coating, and long lasting, try some Sherwin Williams Tile Clad Epoxy coatings. Its two part and can be tinted to almost any color. Benjamin Moore has a similar product called Polymide Coatings. They also have high gloss and semi gloss and can also be tinted to any color.

Theirs comes in several stock colors in addition to white. I use both products on a regular basis in my lockers over time in lieu of traditional paints. Paints in hidden areas needs to be redone when chipped or will also turn yellow if you are using white.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:52 AM   #6
FF
Guru

NOTHING!

Boats have been known to run aground , far easier to find structural damage if the hull is not painted over.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:11 AM   #7
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
Had good success with White Gloss Rustoleum. Cheap at Home Depot or Walmart.. Only problem is it is slow drying.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
NOTHING!

Boats have been known to run aground , far easier to find structural damage if the hull is not painted over.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, a polyester resin uncoated or sealed fiberglass hull has a tendancy to absorb water from the inside in closed areas and especially below waterline, where the natural changes in temps creates dampness in most of the voided and closed areas such as the bilges.

This is one issue that many surveyors have found in hulls even without blisters on the bottom in the older hulls, which is cosmetically apparent under the bottom paints of the older hulls when hauling out.

. Polyester resin continues the process of curing, called post curing and this is the reason why they naturally become heavier unless you wax gelcoat hulls on a regular basis. This is just a small article that describes this action.

Boat Hull Blisters : Illustration of Water Absorption From a Hull Interior - by David Pascoe, Marine Surveyor

Since the 90s the more improved resins and finishes have minimized this natural latent defect that has nothing to do with any builders fault. But this is one of the reasons why any and all repairs use an epoxy based product in the repairs. So the epoxy coatings are superior to any and all paint products in glass hulls in particular. While the idea that epoxy is water proof, water resistant is a truer term. It has a solid cure time with measurable post curing taking place.

I will add that you really need to clean any and all areas before you apply any materials. TSP works really well and is not as toxic to your nasal passages either. I do use rubber gloves though.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:46 AM   #9

For anyone killing time and likes reading up on issues related to blistering, check this out. Its pretty technical but thorough.

The Real Story of Osmosis Blistering
Old 01-09-2018, 04:47 PM   #10
Guru

City: kemah
This stuff looks promising...

https://www.durabakcompany.com/marine/
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #11

City: Freeport, TX.
Vessel Name: Rum Away
Vessel Model: '89 Bayliner 3888
Well it looks like Bilge Coat will be the coating of choice. I was looking for easy and durable, hoping to avoid the catalyzed coatings. This is actually phase 1 of the engine room spruce up. The portion of the bilge I am immediately concerned with is the keel sump. The boat is currently on the hard for a bottom job. This portion of the bilge would be very difficult to keep dry in the water.

Thanks for all the comments, they have been duly noted for future reference.
Brian1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian1e View Post
Well it looks like Bilge Coat will be the coating of choice. I was looking for easy and durable, hoping to avoid the catalyzed coatings. This is actually phase 1 of the engine room spruce up. The portion of the bilge I am immediately concerned with is the keel sump. The boat is currently on the hard for a bottom job. This portion of the bilge would be very difficult to keep dry in the water.

Thanks for all the comments, they have been duly noted for future reference.
Well if its constantly wet, oil base products are not as friendly, and may blister up in short order.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #13

City: Anacortes
Just use Interlux Bilgekote, easy to use and good abrasion and solvent resistance. It comes in white and grey. Grey is pretty dark. I mix either 2 or 3 part white with 1 part grey depending how light I want the grey.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #14

City: St. Pete
Vessel Name: Becca
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44
I think Bilgecoat or other quality single part paint is okay for areas of the engine room which stay high and dry. Any lower areas which get frequently wet or immersed in water should have a quality two part coating such as Tile Clad. Any previously painted areas to which epoxy is to be applied should have a proper barrier coat of a primer which will not desolve the paint underneath. Learned that the hard way. Paint is only as good as the surface it's attaching to.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #15
FF
Guru

Any GRP boat afloat for decades will be water logged from the outside , as well as from the inside.

Gell coat is not waterproof .

This is normal.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:58 AM   #16
Guru

City: gulf coast
I was happy with bilge coat. Its oil base is more compatible with whatever oil film many be on the surface.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #17

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Had good success with White Gloss Rustoleum. Cheap at Home Depot or Walmart.. Only problem is it is slow drying.
Second that-easy to apply and cleans up nicely-and you can get it almost anywhere. I repainted on a weekend and checked it the next weekend and it was hard as a rock. I cleaned and sanded before applying.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddalme View Post
Second that-easy to apply and cleans up nicely-and you can get it almost anywhere. I repainted on a weekend and checked it the next weekend and it was hard as a rock. I cleaned and sanded before applying.

Yep. Did this on the last boat and it looked great for cheap
Old 01-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Pompano Beach, FL
Rustoleum is great. Add valspar enamel hardener to it for a faster drying and harder finish.
Mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 04:15 PM   #20

City: Seattle and Bellingham
Vessel Name: Klee Wyck and Libra
Vessel Model: Lowland 48 and Noordzee Kotter 52
POR-15 for the hard hulled folks that want pretty durable protection.