powered paint roller to antifoul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moreton99

Vessel Name
Leprechaun
Vessel Make
Timber Hollow Heeled Sharpie
Hi,

My slipway does not allow spraying so I was going to try a powered roller that I can borrow from a mate. I havn't seen the unit but apparently you hook a special paint roller and a can up to a compressor and roll on. Sounds like a dream not having to dip all the time.

Has anyone used this type of setup to anti-foul a timber boat? Any tips and tricks?

Paul.

I bought one of those powered rollers years ago. Big time pain in the ass to clean up, paint seems to get everywhere, would have been much simpler the old fashioned way. I don't recommend them.

Another option would be the "Paint Sticks" by folks like Wagoner and Black & Decker. They are meant to be re-used, but frankly for $30 I just toss them when done. They'd be great for bottom paint.

Last edited by a moderator:
All the stuff I use to bottom paint I throw away. Big mess and not worth the time to clean up. I found the cheapest is to hire job less people looking for work, and/or put the word out. Each time sand the bottom, fix blisters, and then two coats of bottom paint. Each year the bottom paint gets heaver and I require more breaks. Next time I am having it done!

A good yard sale will find any of these products for almost nothing.

Then tossing is a pleasure .

I have always found a fence paint roller ( fat and hairy) on a stout broom stick the easiest of all.

Hi,

But it looks easy in the wagner commercial. Even a girl can do it! :) (is joke)
Yeah I thought it seemed too good to be true or every one would be doing it. Apparently the roller is a commercial unit so that may help.
I agree getting a hand is probably the best way. It would just be nice to chuck on three coats quick and even as we always get sloppy and lose interest towards the end.

Paul.

Hi,

But it looks easy in the wagner commercial. Even a girl can do it! :) (is joke)
Yeah I thought it seemed too good to be true or every one would be doing it. Apparently the roller is a commercial unit so that may help.
I agree getting a hand is probably the best way. It would just be nice to chuck on three coats quick and even as we always get sloppy and lose interest towards the end.

Paul.

You have two things working against you. First is that bottom paint is pretty thick. While that isn't a deal-breaker because the heavy duty power rollers could probably handle it, your BIG issue is that bottom paint is VERY heavy! Fill the tube, the handle, and all the space inside the roller and you will not want to hold that weight for very long. If a boat were blocked above your head where you could stand up under her, that's one thing, but painting a bottom on-the-hard is a really awkward process. Lots of bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, and often lying on your back is required. The weight of the roller is generally out in front of you. Force x leverarm = a tired puppy.

On the subject of bottom paint, when I pull the boat out for the winter the paint is ingood shape but when I take the winter covers off the bottom paint has cracks and flakes that have developed is there a reason for this, I hate bottom painting.

Boat and paint are drying out.

What they never show you in the commercials for these things in HOW LOUD they really are!!! You might want ear plugs if you're going to spend a day with the thing.

doesnt sound real good- noisy, heavy, messy, hard to clean up. sounded too good to be true!

Results of using the powered roller.

Finished painting her with the powered roller. It uses a airless pump which I borrowed and you disconnect the spray gun and screw on a special Roller fitting which injects paint into the middle of the roller. The unit came with a 5 foot extension pole which is probably used by someone younger and stronger to paint barges etc.
It took half the boat to realise to just use the hose straight on the roller as it was too heavy and hard to keep the roller in good contact with the hull with the big extension.

By the the time we finished(few learning experiences on the way) I would say it was less messy than dipping into a tray all the time but because we were using no extension a bit prone to getting paint on us because we were so close to the job. The airless unit was quiet and no fuss. Painted the side in about 30 mins instead of 90 mins and a more consistent job.

It was a bit heavy to use. We think mainly because it was a large roller. We thought a smaller roller with a 2 ft extension would be a lot better next time. My mate thinks we could build a cheaper unit using a "paint pot" as we had the airless on a very low setting all you are doing is pumping paint. The roller it self was a nice bit of gear which I think is the secret and I will post some better photos of it if there is any interest.

I have attached a couple of photos. Sorry if they are in the wrong place. still working out how that works.

Paul.

Attachments

• leprechaun slip 162 [640x480].jpg
    leprechaun slip 162 [640x480].jpg
    79 KB · Views: 82
  • leprechaun slip 160 [640x480].jpg
    leprechaun slip 160 [640x480].jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 79
  • leprechaun slip 156 [640x480].jpg
    leprechaun slip 156 [640x480].jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 91

Latest posts