Ports and Capilano steering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cd30ketch

Veteran Member
I have 2 questions. Fist I would like opinions on good ports for our V birth. Because they mount tilted back water will pool in them. Does anyone make ports with drains? Second, I am replacing the old Capilano steering that has the uniflow valve with Capilano 1250vs. My wheels do not have the ¾ inch taper that the valve shafts have. Has anyone retrofit the wheels to work. I like the wheels I have and dont really want to replace them. The boat is a 1973 De Fever 40.

Beckson has plastic ports that have a "rain drain" channel. New Found Metals has bronze and stainless ports that are designed to drain.

cd30ketch wrote:I have 2 questions. Fist I would like opinions on good ports for our V birth. Because they mount tilted back water will pool in them. Does anyone make ports with drains? Second, I am replacing the old Capilano steering that has the uniflow valve with Capilano 1250vs. My wheels do not have the ¾ inch taper that the valve shafts have. Has anyone retrofit the wheels to work. I like the wheels I have and dont really want to replace them. The boat is a 1973 De Fever 40.
*Would something like this adapter or this one work for your wheels?

Some metal opening ports can be had with the soffit lowered to about a 15 deg angle,they work great , but take practice to carve into the deck house.

Chop holes in a 2x lumber before attempting the boat.

Be sure to get screens too.

On some the screens can be removed and a 3/4 lexan installed in place.

Plaudits to Cap'n Chuck on another of the detailed project summaries on his blog.*

I still have the original port lights on my MT34, but added rain shields that keep things pretty dry. I keep the ports* open most of the time when underway or when the A/C's not running.

Attachments

• vents.jpg
    vents.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 96
  • vent2.jpg
    vent2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 102
I looked up beckson ports. Sound like they might do the trick. Anyone have bad luck with them?

i was planning on putting the uniflow and both pumps on ebay soon

I haven't bought any Beckson's, but only because they didn't have the ones I needed.

I bought and have installed a bunch of the Tri-Matrix ports from New Found Metals.* They have rain drains...install pretty easily...and look good.* Price isn't ridiculous.* Also their screens are stainless steel...and no more expensive than the others.

http://newfoundmetals.com/catalog/trimatrix1.html

I ordered and just recieved the Becskon rain drain ports. Have not yet installed. The best price I found was on-line from Boaters World. They were out of stock and it took 2 months, but I was in no hurry. After looking at Chuck's nice stainless steel ports, I kind of wish I went that direction

BTW, why replace the steering? Sounds like the same sysetm I have and it still works good. I know you can still get parts for the Capilano pumps, not sure about the uniflow?

the steering was not consistant in how it worked. I have two new helms on now and it works great

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom