Port Light Rubber Gaskets Sticking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I installed two new port lights a couple of years ago. Now when I try to open them, the plastic window part sticks to the rubber gasket so tightly I have to pry it open with a tool.

I assume some sort of lubricant is in order, but I don't want to ruin the rubber.

Ideas?

Wax.

I use Sno-Seal which spreads easily, remains soft. Kinda' messy, though.

Hmmm. Looks like Sno-Seal is beeswax. I have a beeswax zipper waterproofing stick already, maybe that'll work. Thanks!

On my sailboat I used Armor All on the gasket. This not only kept the gasket pliable, but it helped the window not to stick and helped keep them from leaking. The ports were an incredibly poor design for the application. The Armor All kept them working well even after over 10 years.

The ports were angled out and the window closed from the inside. This meant that it had water standing on lower seal all winter long and the seal was exposed to the sun (it was a SoCal boat for 5 years). Bad design of the port and a poor application for it.

Armor all...just a thin wipe on coat so it never gets back to where the glue is.

They have armor all wipes that work on sliding window gaskets too.

TIME,

Most rubber will release in a while, just loosen and wait for it to release.

Use silicone grease or glyserine on a yearly basis on the rubber gasket and you will make sure that they are neither sticking or cracking because of drying.

Back
Top Bottom