Polycarbonate for sliding window?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rusbet

Veteran Member
We are still trying to figure out what to do with our increasingly delaminating sliding windows.* Our boat yard has suggested going with 1/4" polycarbonate to replace our laminated glass in our sliding windows.* We would still have the sliders not just insert a fixed piece of polycarbonate.* Has anyone had any experience with this or thoughts?

I would stick with the laminated glass.

I replaced a couple of mine and so far so good. Most of the originals are okay after 29years.

Be interesting to hear what others have to say.

JohnP

I'd also recommend sticking with glass. The polycarbonate isn't UV resistant and eventually will craze. It'll also scratch very easily when washing the boat or using paper towels on it.

Glass

Flat auto safety glass is cheap at most shops.

Take a template , cardboard will do tho ply is more accurate .Our 24x36 opening window was about $65 in high cost CT.

Go Glass, polycarbonate and you will regret it sooner than you think.

Benn

laminated safety glass is no more expensive than lexan.

Due to the high cost of safety glass, I replaced my windshields with Lexan. Two years of California sun and they still look good.

Lexan polycarbonate yellows with time.

I replaced my windshields with Lexan. Two years of California sun and they still look good.

How does it look where the windshield wiper operates? Opaque?

We used to use polycarbonate glazing in schools where vandals kept breaking windows. It scratches easily and eventually turns yellow. It would be a far distant second choice to safety glass in my opinion. I wouldn't use it on my boat.

I used to sell and fabricate Lexan (polycarbonate] among other plastics. Even though I think it is a fine material in the right application , a boat's windows are not one of those applications, even though I did use it for such one time because I had it handy. As a seagoing , heavy weather protective cover of the glass windows, Yes, but not the actual window. Even the scratch resistant coating GE offered is not suitable for long term windsheild wiper use.

On my current boat where I have had to replace some of the windows I use Laminated safety glass.

It will work but is not the best material for the job.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom