Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #1

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Still Sibsie
Vessel Model: 42' Bristol Trawler
Pilothouse Windows

I have the daunting task of removing every window on our trawler; 3 pilothouse windows, 8 salon windows, and 6 aft cabin windows. All have safety glass in great shape, some have sliders with screens. The aluminum frames are mill finish, not too bad shape, and all windows have this beige (probably used to be white) vinyl trim around the perimeter of the frames which needs to be replaced. It's sagging and brittle. I would like to find a vendor who could re-do these window, possible powdercoat or anodize the frames, re-seal the glass and replace the vinyl trim. I can ship them anywhere. Any ideas?

Steve

stevensibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #2

RE: Pilothouse Windows

Well, things can change rapidly in boat rebuilding. I am scrapping every window on the boat because I have found a manufacturer of marine windows that will provide me with brand new ones with 1/4" safety glass, anodized frames, sliders with screens on some, and the whole cost is less than my budget for refurbishing them all! Not to mention that it took me nearly 2 hours to remove only ONE window, being careful not to to damage them (for refurbishment). Now I can beat them out.

My question is: For the 6 windows in the main salon...tinted or clear? What are on your boats? I figured clear for the pilothouse windows for night vision, but tinting on the rest? And how dark? Solar Grey and Graylite 14 are two choices. Any input will be appreciated.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I would tint all but the front pilothouse and maybe any wing windows you have. Not sure of your tints but up to a medium would be OK with me...especially if you spend more time down south than up north.

What is the window manufacturer as I am about to do 13 windows myself?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Prince Rupert,BC
Vessel Name: Salty Bear
Vessel Model: Ta Yang Pilothouse Trawler
I've found a manufacturer for windows in BC. They've done a lot of trawlers and RV's. I was pleasantly surprised with how reasonably priced the were.
Salty Bear II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Bear II View Post
I've found a manufacturer for windows in BC. They've done a lot of trawlers and RV's. I was pleasantly surprised with how reasonably priced the were.
Is the name a secret?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Prince Rupert,BC
Vessel Name: Salty Bear
Vessel Model: Ta Yang Pilothouse Trawler
The name of the company is Sunview Industries Ltd in Summerland, British Colombia, Canada. They'll ship all over the place.
Salty Bear II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Guru

Having aluminum windows remade is a good,and economical, solution. You`ll spend as much reviving the old ones, and still have old ones. Give the manufacturer an accurate template in cardboard or light ply to work from,that probably means removing and replacing the old ones pending delivery to keep the openings sealed. BruceK
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Bear II View Post
The name of the company is Sunview Industries Ltd in Summerland, British Colombia, Canada. They'll ship all over the place.
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM   #9

The company I'm using is Wynne Enterprises, Inc. Tuscumbia, AL 256-383-5040 http://www.wynneinc.com/
For example, one of my 24" x 30" salon windows with anodized aluminum frame and clamp ring, safety glass, fixed pane no screen is 144.03. Tinting is a little extra. My budget for all the windows on this boat was just cut in half!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #10
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I would tint all but the front pilothouse and maybe any wing windows you have. Not sure of your tints but up to a medium would be OK with me...especially if you spend more time down south than up north.

What is the window manufacturer as I am about to do 13 windows myself?
I prefer 360-degree viewing as unrestricted as practical. The only window tinting in my pilothouse is the hatch on the roof.

markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #11

Cool boat from what I can see. Are you ever in southern latitudes, and if so, do you feel you need UV protection for fabrics, wood, etc.?
Steve
Old 03-31-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Southern latitudes are too hot for me, but there are curtains for all 11 pilothouse windows except for the three front ones.

I use the transparent pilothouse roof hatch to check sail trim and examine the undersides of bridges from the interior comfort of the pilothouse.

markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I prefer 360-degree viewing as unrestricted as practical. The only window tinting in my pilothouse is the hatch on the roof.
To each their own... I think most cars come with tint every place but the windshield...(at least where I've been lately)...

Cars do 80 down the highway in all sorts of weather and lighting.. I cruise at 6.5 knots ....generally during the day and in fair weather... soooo...light to medium tinting is no challenge for me to see all around
Old 03-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Tint or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensibs View Post
Well, things can change rapidly in boat rebuilding. I am scrapping every window on the boat because I have found a manufacturer of marine windows that will provide me with brand new ones with 1/4" safety glass, anodized frames, sliders with screens on some, and the whole cost is less than my budget for refurbishing them all! Not to mention that it took me nearly 2 hours to remove only ONE window, being careful not to to damage them (for refurbishment). Now I can beat them out.

My question is: For the 6 windows in the main salon...tinted or clear? What are on your boats? I figured clear for the pilothouse windows for night vision, but tinting on the rest? And how dark? Solar Grey and Graylite 14 are two choices. Any input will be appreciated.
That's a tough decision. I say tint if you are in a hot climate. However, I would really want clear for natural colors of the scenery, given that we run from inside 95% of the time. Northwest gales, sleet, and other horrific weather of the NW being what they are.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #15
FF
Guru

"I say tint if you are in a hot climate."

GREAT !!! If you like to be broiled , or run the noisemaker and air cond even more.

Tinted windows get HOT , that solar energy has to go someplace, and the glass will radiate the extra energy into the boat.

Easier on your eyes , for sure , but not on your body.

The reflective films , like a movie cracker sheriff sun glasses , can be applied and removed as required.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #16
Guru

Solar tint treatments can be added to an existing window pane or purchased, pre-made from the window manufacturer. These treatments are designed to maintain a window's natural visibility while maximizing the effects from solar lighting, according to the National Research Council Canada. Hot climates and cold climates may require different tint treatments due to how the Sun interacts within the environment. Homes situated in hot climate areas may benefit from low solar heat gain tints to reduce the amount of heat that moves through windows. High solar heat gain tints prevent interior heat from escaping, which may be more suiting for colder climates.

Just make sure you are getting the correct window tint (high or low gain)...but I think most tints for vehicle applications are low anyway. The heat isn't allowed to transfer in and is radiated back outside.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #17

Thank you all, for the good advice. I still have some time to decide whether to tint or not as I have only just sent the company the templates. This is a tough one, obviously a major decision because we'll be stuck with it for years, cruising in and outside, north and south. The hatches and windows on our sportfish are all tinted, but I never really paid them any mind. Boating in Massachusetts is hardly the tropics. Love your pilothouse pic, Mark!
www.sibsie.com
Old 04-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensibs View Post
Thank you all, for the good advice. I still have some time to decide whether to tint or not as I have only just sent the company the templates. This is a tough one, obviously a major decision because we'll be stuck with it for years, cruising in and outside, north and south. The hatches and windows on our sportfish are all tinted, but I never really paid them any mind. Boating in Massachusetts is hardly the tropics. Love your pilothouse pic, Mark!
Look around at cars...plenty of them and all different tint shades....sit in them day and night...I think you will be amazed what you like and don't...
Old 04-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. stevensibs. One option that has been alluded to is to purchase the new windows untinted and if you feel you need a tint in the future you can add it to your new windows with the appropriately rated system that Mr. psneeld noted.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #20

You are right! Never thought of that.....

www.sibsie.com