Old 04-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensibs View Post
You are right! Never thought of that.....
Yes but I'd much rather have tinted glass than a film or spray.

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. stevensibs. One option that has been alluded to is to purchase the new windows untinted and if you feel you need a tint in the future you can add it to your new windows with the appropriately rated system that Mr. psneeld noted.
I hired a 23 year old neighbor boy to tint the windows and install a stereo in my older truck. He enjoyed getting paid for something he considered fun to do(I find it frustrating). Some kids in this age group are remarkably well skilled and take great pride in window tinting and stereo installation. Check their previous work first of course, no different than any other hired labor.

CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #23
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. You raise a valid point. Films or sprays will never equal the quality or longevity of a factory tint but the former mentioned items give one the option of de-tinting if desired.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I hired a 23 year old neighbor boy to tint the windows and install a stereo in my older truck. He enjoyed getting paid for something he considered fun to do(I find it frustrating). Some kids in this age group are remarkably well skilled and take great pride in window tinting and stereo installation. Check their previous work first of course, no different than any other hired labor.
It's not about quality of work...I've seen too many film applications that fail way too quickly...don't know much about the spray on though.

Still...if I could order factory tinted glass up front and that's what I want...I would think that's the way to go.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
Guru

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It's not about quality of work...I've seen too many film applications that fail way too quickly...don't know much about the spray on though.

Still...if I could order factory tinted glass up front and that's what I want...I would think that's the way to go.
I couldn't agree more with most of your statement. Just offering an outside the box solution for those that may benefit from it. The primary reason most tint jobs fail prematurely is improper installation technique. The kid I mentioned has been doing his and friends cars frequently since his early teens. He uses the money from these side jobs to put himself through college. Currently working on his Masters.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
I couldn't agree more with most of your statement. Just offering an outside the box solution for those that may benefit from it. The primary reason most tint jobs fail prematurely is improper installation technique. The kid I mentioned has been doing his and friends cars frequently since his early teens. He uses the money from these side jobs to put himself through college. Currently working on his Masters.
Around boats I would disagree with the "improper install". My experience is that it gets scratched a lot due to it's location. People and objects are constantly rubbing up against it as they walk/carry stuff by.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:28 PM   #27
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
The tint films I've seen are installed on the inside of the glass so are somewhat protected from damage unless inside cleaning is rough.
Be carefull about tinting. A lot of people refer to it as smoke but tinting can be many different colours; greyish, greenish, bronze and so on.

Why not talk to the windown builder. They may have some recommendations about tinting, the depth of tint and so on. A grey tint will reduce heat and brightness without changing the colour of outside object. The other tints will definitely affect colour observation and not always to the good.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
The tint films I've seen are installed on the inside of the glass so are somewhat protected from damage unless inside cleaning is rough.
Be carefull about tinting. A lot of people refer to it as smoke but tinting can be many different colours; greyish, greenish, bronze and so on.

Why not talk to the windown builder. They may have some recommendations about tinting, the depth of tint and so on. A grey tint will reduce heat and brightness without changing the colour of outside object. The other tints will definitely affect colour observation and not always to the good.
I think to get a true heat reduction tint it has to be on the outside....but I can't say that for sure.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #29
Guru

I've never personally seen tint film on the outside of a widow.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #30
FF
Guru

Does the window mfg offer thicker glass than 1/4 inch auto glass?

3/8 would be a minor improvement , 1/2 or 3/4 would be good if you have offshore desires.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
I've never personally seen tint film on the outside of a widow.
Yeah..funny when I looked up windows...the manufacturers all talked like it was best ion the outside but all the installers seem to discuss inside like you said.

I have seen it outside and it's usually a disaster from improper install I guess.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
When we bought our boat, the PO had put dark insect screen material, fixed with press studs all over the saloon windows whether they opened or not. In fact, only one each side opened and actually needed to be screened. So when the material got tatty, I made new fitted screens, (which are much easier to remove for window cleaning as well), just for the windows that needed screens, and the rest are clear, but with curtains we can pull, but also largely now shaded by the new cockpit canopy we extended to both stern corners and right along the side decks sort of like the newer hard-top versions, when the small cockpit canopy was cactus. The most favourable comment from my wife and others was how nice to look out on normal-looking scenery, rather than the darkened view one gets through screens, or I guess tinting also. We found inside the boat a bit brighter, but not annoyingly so, and little different heatwise, and we are in subtropical waters. Certainly, nothing flicking a curtain over the sunny side window did not fix. Just a thought....
Might add weight to the suggestion of later addition of tinting only if proven necessary a good idea, as some others mentioned.
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:46 AM   #33
FF
Guru

WE built PH window coverings of white Sunbrella.

All summer when the boat is dead , they are inside to help toss some sun back thru the glass, and inside the 50-75K thunder storms cant get them.

In winter , they can be snapped on outside as needed ,when the sun angle is low.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #34
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
These windows appear to be the original windows on our 1977 34 Californian. We have a dark tint on our side and aft windows and REALLY appreciate the sun protection and limited privacy. The two panels of windshield glass do not appear to be tinted, or if they are, they are a very light tint.

I sometimes operate at night and have never noticed the tint being a problem with visibility. To me, the greatest issue is glare from the interior lights. To combat this, I select red overhead lights aft of the helm for indirect lighting and a small gooseneck led for task lighting.

Here are some pics from outside and inside. You can see there's not too much difference between the windshield and side window views. The shot of the lower helm has the door open so you can see how it appears to look through two panes of the darkened glass.

As you can see from my avatar, I have side sunscreens that I use in the summer. They're pretty easy to see out in the daytime as long as they stay dry. They provide pretty good daytime privacy. At night, the interior lights eliminate that privacy, but we have interior blinds for night privacy. When the sunscreens get wet, they're difficult to see through.

I also have a sunscreen for the windshield, but don't normally operate the boat with that one in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	10817   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	10818   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	10819  
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
All the windows on Hobo are factory tinted including the pilot house front windows, although not very dark.

Talk to the folks at Diamond Sea Glaze. They are one of the larger marine window manufacters for refits and new construction.

Diamond Sea Glaze
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #36

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Still Sibsie
Vessel Model: 42' Bristol Trawler
Yes they do come in thicker glass. I'm using 3/8" on salon. 1/2" on the pilot house windows. I maaay go offshore.....
www.sibsie.com
stevensibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: FREEDOM
Vessel Model: 40 BLUEWATER PILOTHOUSE TRAWLER
Did you complete your window restoration? How much did it cost? How did it turn out? I'm thinking of pursuing the same project.

Thanks,

Josh
Capt. JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 01:46 PM   #38

Hi josh. I received the windows from Bomon in Canada but I haven't installed them yet as I am concentrating on the engine room before it gets cold out. The windows that Bomon did for me are awesome and I am so glad I chose them. First rate quality. They're doing my pilot house doors as well. I think about 3k for the cost.
www.sibsie.com
Old 03-03-2015, 07:27 PM   #39
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
update on the window install?
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:37 PM   #40

Unfortunately, the new windows from Bomon still sit on the floor of my shop. They and the Newfound Metal portlights patiently await spring. It's been a brutal winter here in Mass. The boat is covered in snow and snow banks are piled up around it. Bomon did an exceptional job fabricating the salon windows and also on the powder coating. They are building pilot house doors and the front pilot house windows now. I am behind on my schedule, the engine room was meant to be finished by now but life gets in the way.
The website is still up and shows progress up to November 2014. Home Page if any are interested.

www.sibsie.com