Pilothouse Windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKYGUY

Vessel Name
VELOCITY
Vessel Make
42' Kadey - Krogen WB
I have a problem with condensation on the pilothouse windows on my 42' Krogen. This is especially bad in cold weather with more than about two people sleeping over night. Does anyone have any experience with replacing these windows with double pane glass? Is there another solution? Any input will be much appreciated. In my opinion, the 42' Krogen was not insulated for cooler climates like the Pacific NW.

I've done that with minimal results....

Greetings,
Mr. SG. You've either got to raise the inside temperature or lower the inside humidity. That's why I suggested increasing ventilation but if it's at all humid outside increased ventilation won't help I suspect. I haven't been in the PNW in years so I have no concept of the winter conditions. Do you have a heat source other than overnight guests? Might be time to throw another log on the fire.

Scroll down the topics in "general maintenance" for the threads on "Dehumidifiers in the PNW" that might help

I have a problem with condensation on the pilothouse windows on my 42' Krogen. This is especially bad in cold weather with more than about two people sleeping over night. Does anyone have any experience with replacing these windows with double pane glass? Is there another solution? Any input will be much appreciated. In my opinion, the 42' Krogen was not insulated for cooler climates like the Pacific NW.

The solution is to get a dehumidifier. Try to find one that works in lower temperatures - sometimes called a basement dehumidifier. Check out Amazon.

Been through your problem and this will help greatly.

put liquid dish soap on a paper towel and rub on the inside of the windows.. works the same as mask defogger.
HOLLYWOOD

Our boat has an ocillating fan (which can be locked in a fixed position if desired) that blows on the forward pilothouse windows. This in essence accomplishes what RTF says with regards to increasing ventilation. I've seen boats with a pair of these, one in each forward corner of the pilothouse.

I suppose you could install double-pane windows in the pilothouse, but they would need to be made of laminated safety glass to preven them from shattering if struck by a person, wave, etc. Wouldn't be inexpensive to have windows made for this, however, and their additional thickness may pose mounting or operational problems.

You could try a dehumidifier, but I'm assuming something that would do the job properly might have to be powered, so you'd need to have a sufficient power source for it.

If your boat has a proper heating system--- diesel or propane furnace-type--- then running it through the night will go a long ways toward preventing the condensation buildup on the windows as RTF points out with regards to raising the inside temperature.

I'm not a huge fan of leaving these sorts of things on when we're sleeping, particularly a propane-fired system. However, turning the heater on in the morning should get the temperature up pretty quick and so deal with the condensation on the windows. (On our boat it's a moot point since it doesn't have a built-in heating system of any kind, having spent it's whole life in California before we bought it).

Also, while not nearly as effective as ventilation or heating, if your boat has curtains that can be pulled over the windows, this can help cut down the condensation build-up on the inside of the glass by insulating it--- sort of--- from the moist air inside the boat.

Last edited:
We use tha 1/4" thick insulation with foil on each side . We have cut pcs that fit all the windows. We use it at night and when we are not at the boat like curtains . It' s cheap and it works for us . It comes in rolls of different widths.

Rain-X Antifog. They claim to be a preventative solution for auto and marine applications. Caveat - I have never used it on interior windows but have used other Rain-X products.

Never use regular rainX on the inside....well at least for me...it promotes it or at least the several years after I tried it the pilot house windows were miserable to use if fogging was present.

Haven't tried the anti-fog yet.

As a fellow PNW boater, your winter issue is not a problem, it is normal. As stated by others with the spot on advice, heat and/or a dehumidifier and crack or port light or two when sleeping. When cruising in cooler weather we park a heater/fan near the front windows as well as running diesel heat.

Send CamanoFolks a PM. Tom use to own a KK42 and cruised Bellingham to Alaska annually. He put storm windows on the inside of the pilot house windows made from either an acrylic or Lexan. They created ~1.5" air space with no condensation. They screwed against the inside wood window frame . He left them on year round and they looked good.

The other option is to talk to Diamond Sea Glaze. They have done several window door conversions for the KK42 with thermo pane windows.

http://www.diamondseaglaze.com/

Last edited:
With my diesel funace running and the pilothouse temp. around 68 or so, for an overnight setting, the condensation problem still exists; has for the 17 years I've had the boat. I have heard of other KK owners that have replaced the windows with double pane thermal glass. I was hoping someone looking at this thread had some experience with the swap-out process.

With my diesel funace running and the pilothouse temp. around 68 or so, for an overnight setting, the condensation problem still exists; has for the 17 years I've had the boat. I have heard of other KK owners that have replaced the windows with double pane thermal glass. I was hoping someone looking at this thread had some experience with the swap-out process.

How about a 12vdc computer muffin fan directed across the PH windows, low draw.. should suffice.

I like Marin, have two large fans that can be rotated to clear the glass in winter.. and add a breeze on a warm windless day.. the attached pic is old and the old green raster radar under the fan is now gone and a new flat screen is next to the plotter and connected to a mini itx pc system

HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• IMG_20130929_131344_0.jpg
    IMG_20130929_131344_0.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 95
Yep, two fans at each corner of our pilothouse move the air sufficiently to keep condensation at bay. The PO installed them, but they are 110v units. At some point we will switch to 12v fans.

We're also considering double pane windows for the pilothouse, as we want them throughout the main salon. Better insulation/heat retention, and less condensation. The good ones ain't cheap, though...

Least expensive would be an internal wiper for when you are underway.

Doesnt matter how low you make the internal humidity , at some temp the water will condense on Every cold surface.

While you see the PH glass condensation easily , remember the same condensation is going on elsewhere.

Dual glass , with out an inert gas installed will do very little for condensation , but will make the boat a bit quieter.

Back
Top Bottom