Old 08-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Unhappy perkins 4 exhaust manifolds

In desperate need of two Perkins 4 cyl exhaust manifolds.

85 hp 4236

Any one have any leads as to any source for these little buggers.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I would offer you a pair sitting in Vallejo CA but there is a chance FlyWright might miss them

Seriously though I believe Blue Heron had posted a link to an aftermarket supplier of Perkins manifolds a few months back. May wish to search posts by him made between January and April. Quite reasonably priced too if I recall.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
I would offer you a pair sitting in Vallejo CA but there is a chance FlyWright might miss them
Well, I was kind of using them...

OFB, I hope you're sitting down.

In March 2009 I purchased a replacement maniford for my stbd 4.236 from Trans Atlantic Diesels. Including freight, I paid $1594. Yes, that's ONE manifold. It had to be ordered from England. It is a Perkins part not an aftermarket. I shopped around and that was the best price I could get at the time.

There's another company called Foley that makes aftermarket exhaust manifolds, but I don't know if they are wet exhausts or not.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #4

Try Marine Exhaust Systems of Alabama, Inc.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
-------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I agree MESA is your best source. I have replaced both of my Perkins 6.354 manifolds with stainless. Pretty pricey, but consider it a long term investment. You won't have to replace them again in your life time.

Mark at MESA is a great guy, but order them now as each one is custom built and there may be a waiting list.

4.236 Water Cooled Manifold 567 ZZ90033 $1150
4.236 Water Cooled Manifold 567 377852001 $1150

Stainless Steel manifolds can be used with raw or fresh water

Larry B
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #6
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Thanks

I knew the cost was going to be high but is what it is. Not my boat

Friend's trawler and so far unable to find any shop, mechanic, supplier here in Vancouver willing to even look at finding replacement parts.

You have to find the part and then lots are willing to install.

So the rest of the story to be told later. I feel for him as summer ends and the fishing has been hot !

Again thanks for the info. Nice to hear from people that have bin thar done that.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Maybe a call to Philbrooks would be helpful. They are a short run from Vancouver on a nice day. PM me for contact info and names if interested.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Try Stewart's Marine in Ballard Seattle WA.

Don't like dealing w them and I don't know if there still there but they just may have a manifold.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #9

City: Gloucester
There are three completely different exhaust manifolds commonly found on 4.234 marine engines - the North American (cast iron), Euro (aluminum) and Bowman (aluminum combination manifold / header tank and heat exchanger). The North American manifolds corrode and scale badly in marine environments. Eventually the wet side either clogs enough to restrict raw water flow and overheat the engine or they rust through, dumping raw water into the exhaust side. I have seen photos of aftermarket stainless manifolds - they look beautiful but I believe they still run raw water through the manifold and still use the factory heat exchangers and header tanks. There is a better alternative - I recommend converting to a Bowman, which will replace your current exhaust manifold, header tank and heat exchanger (which are often at the end of their lives anyways). Raw water only touches the inside of the Bowman's heat exchanger bundle, and the manifold is cooled by engine coolant as it passes around the bundle and throughout the manifold. These are currently in production and readily available, and they are the most cost effective cooling system to maintain. Depending on your setup and application you may also require a different intake manifold, along with plumbing, gaskets, etc. Trans Atlantic Diesels sells a complete 4.236 Bowman kit with installation instructions and (I believe) a DVD.
RCB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 11:49 AM   #10

City: gourock
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFB View Post
In desperate need of two Perkins 4 cyl exhaust manifolds.

85 hp 4236

Any one have any leads as to any source for these little buggers.
There are two sources:

Bowman LTD Birmingham and LAncing Marine, also UK TAD sell these modified coolers and its slightly cheaper than the Perkins manifolds which are hard to get anyway.

Alternatively Foley make stainless ones in USA and I am having a super duplex alloy stainless steel one fabricated locally here on Clydeside Scotland. Good Luck Scottish Cruiser
mumford is offline   Reply With Quote