Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #21

Painting Yout Trawler the Inexpensive Way

Guys,

You guys just don't realize what a wealth of information y'all are feeding us newbies. I was just looking at an old 1971 Defever that looks awful on the outside and not to great on the inside. But, the boat is just twenty minutes from my house on the river. I was thinking of making an offer, but was thinking I would need to put the boat on the hard to paint it and not sure if I could do it myselft.*The only problem is there is no lift within 200 miles of here. Now I see that I could*paint it and hold out*for a while before taking the boat south to get it pulled to do the hull, bearings, ect.

-- Edited by ce_smith on Thursday 11th of March 2010 08:43:04 PM

ce_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #22
FF
Guru

RE: Painting Yout Trawler the Inexpensive Way

. Now I see that I could paint it and hold out for a while before taking the boat south to get it pulled to do the hull, bearings, ect.

If you are planning on cruising the boat , plan on a paint job before you dump it.

"Paint Sells Da Boat" is 2000 years old bit of reality.

Why have a fancy paint job as you learn to handle her and explore what boating lifestyle suits you best?

You may just enjoy the hook or a mooring instead of lashed to the power pole!

Even the best protected condom dink will attack the paint , as will visitors less protected dinks.

FF

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #23
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

If you use a paint that is cheap, easy to apply and blends you can touch up repair those dinks quickly and easily.* We have a few dings/scrapes that happen.* If we had an expensive hard to match paint, I might get upset.* If I can not reach it from the dock many times I have used the dink.* The two areas I tend to bang is the front bow against the dock as our bow is so high I can not see the dock and the starboard stern where we tie and pull the dink from.* I got it down that it takes about hour to tough up both.* To me making sure the paint blend and flattens well is the most important.

Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I'm getting ready to paint from my decks up.* I'm thinking about Pettit Easy Poxy, one part polyurathane.* Has anyone used this, pros/cons.* I've heard and read here that the two part paints makes it hard to repair dings and scratches.* A friend of mine used a foam roller and a dry foam roller behind it instead of tipping.* He said that it levels better.* Has anybody heard of this?* Any info, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #25
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

I've used easypoxy with excellent results via the roll and tip method.
My usual method is to use the aftermarket gloss reducer to bring the gloss down to an acceptable level. My last paint job was on my previous Albin 25 (circa 1975). The boatyard I painted it in were somewhat impressed.
Rememember " Varnished boats look good at the dock... Painted boats look good at sea!
Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #26
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

I used easypoxy to paint the hull on my 30 ft sailboat, in 1984 or so, by 88 it had to be redone, as the gloss all went away and it looked bad. I then used a two part polyurethane, Interlux, and when I saw the boat in 2007 it still loked presentable. So my vote would not be for easypoxy. The amount of work was comparable for both kinds. the durability of the two part was 20 yrs to 4 yrs, so 5 times better.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #27

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler

Today I finished laying the first coat of Interlux 2 Part primer on my boat.

To the horror of some folks, I used a brush and a paint roller from... the dollar store.* It was 85 degrees (but not in direct sun).

It looks great.

I tipped horizontally, and vertically.*

I'm not a professional but I've had quite a few boats and painted them.* Here's the advice that I've read here that is really good and two important tips that are missing from this thread.

As others have said, it's ALL about the ratio of paint to thinner, and this ratio changes constantly as you work, especially if it is hot.* For any given moment, it's too thin 1/3 of the time and too thick the other 1/3 --

If it's too thin, stir it and wait.
It it's too thick, use the brush and get the harder to reach sections/tight areas.

Second, do a small area at a time.* I can't roll and tip with anything bigger than a four inch roller.* The size of the area to roll... depends on the consistency of the paint at that moment.

The one piece of advice that is missing... is always, always, always use the thinner called for by the manufacturer or you will be very, very sorry.*

Sometimes the manufacturer's thinner is really, really expensive.* Buy it anyway.

Second do not under any circumstances apply marine finishes without the best* respirator you can get, and please replace the cartridges frequently.** I prefer the 3m with the charcoal cartridges that you can get at Jamestown Distributors, West Marine, or other sources.* They come in different sizes, buy one that fits and doesn't give you "racoon face".* Acetone, Xylol, etc. are very, very bad for you.*

Practice makes perfect, you can always sand it off and start over.* I'm a huge fan of wet sanding between coats and laying the final coat on extremely thin with a brush...

-- Edited by SeaMoose on Saturday 17th of July 2010 06:12:46 PM
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:17 AM   #28
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

I've never heard the term "roll and tip" can someone explain this to me?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -

Basically the paint is applied to the prepared surface with a roller, but a roller can leave "bumps" and bubbles in the paint. So as soon as the paint is put on with the roller you (or an assistant) goes over the just-rolled paint very lightly with a brush to flatten the texture left by the roller. If done correctly while the paint is still in its maximum flow stage, the result can be a very smooth surface. Smoother than rolling alone, and smoother than painting with a brush. It can come very close to achieving the same surface one can get by spraying but without the special equipment, the masking of large areas, and the need to avoid or control overspray, etc. that come with spraying.

You do the tipping as you go, not after you've finished all the rolling unless you're doing a very small area.* The reason is that the longer the paint sits the less it wants to flow. So even a few minutes space between the rolling and tipping can result in brush marks or streaks in the paint because the paint has cured enough to inhibit the flow needed to "fill in" the brush marks.* So there are a number of variables that have to be dealt with--- the characteristics of the roller and the brush, the consistency of the paint, the timing between rolling and tipping, the pressure you use when tipping,*and so on.

We've used the roll and tip technique on some of the interior surfaces of our boat and it works very well. It does not eliminate or reduce the need to prepare the surface correctly, however.

Spraying still provides the best, most perfect finish coat, but roll-and-tip can be a pretty close second.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 20th of July 2010 07:38:45 PM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #30
FF
Guru

"Spraying still provides the best, most perfect finish coat, but roll-and-tip can be a pretty close second."

The tiny surface left bu a good roller can simply be ignored on many surfaces.

Do you really care if the top of the pilot house shines like a new car , or simply looks uniform?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:55 AM   #31
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

and......it doesn't matter if you spray or roll. The little pecker gnats still fly by and stick in the wet paint.
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:33 PM   #32
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
FF wrote:

Do you really care if the top of the pilot house shines like a new car , or simply looks uniform?
Depends on how anal the boat is.* I know some who would not tolerate a single blemish or bump on a new paint job.* If there was one, that's all they would see.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:55 AM   #33
FF
Guru

and......it doesn't matter if you spray or roll. The little pecker gnats still fly by and stick in the wet paint.

In our neck of the woods in FLA , as soon as varnish is filtered or a paint can is opened someone up wind sets a few cane fields in fire .

Nice big black chunks for an hour or three!

Works every time.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Anode wrote:

True but when the paint dries and you brush them off, all is left is their little feet and you hardly notice that.
Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #35
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

This thread is SO helpful! Thank you all so much! We are closing on a 1983 36' trawler that needs some topside painting. I was contemplating having the yard do it but I am almost tempted to do this myself. I am, afterall, very good at painting all the rooms in our house as my wife changes her color choices.

How about doing non-skid areas? What do you all use for that? How is prep different for nonskid areas vs. shiny gelcoat areas?

Thanks!!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Blaine
Vessel Name: White Star
Vessel Model: Canoe Cove

I've painted my last two boats and will be painting my third probably sometime next year.
If you want a workboat finish go with the single part paint. if you want a yacht type finish go with the two part paint. I've used Sterling as availability here in Seattle is excellent.

Painting your boat is NOT the same as painting your house! House paint is think. Two part marine paint when properly thinned is like water. It must be layed down in a thin, even coat. First timers usually get it one too thick resulting in runs and sags especially on vertical surfaces. It takes alittle practice to properly thin the paint, lay it down with an even coat and not over tip it. Practice on an old dingy, large peice of fiberglass or as I did on the transom until you get it right. Follow the manufactures instructions and make sure you understand it.

I did my shinny gelcoat areas the same as the non skid areas.

The light colors ... white or off white... are much easier to apply then the darker colors such as navy blue.

I used a good large badger hair brush* to tip*the paint.

Alot of work but when done while others are buffing and waxing their boat you will be out boating.

Dave

-- Edited by wingspar on Tuesday 27th of July 2010 09:21:31 AM

-- Edited by wingspar on Tuesday 27th of July 2010 09:22:13 AM
wingspar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

This thread is SO helpful! Thank you all so much! We are closing on a 1983 36' trawler that needs some topside painting. I was contemplating having the yard do it but I am almost tempted to do this myself. I am, afterall, very good at painting all the rooms in our house as my wife changes her color choices.

How about doing non-skid areas? What do you all use for that? How is prep different for nonskid areas vs. shiny gelcoat areas?

Thanks!!
Here is what we have done with our non skid areas and has worked great,
http://tinyurl.com/ygvq84m

Capn Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #38
Guru

City: Biloxi Mississippi
Vessel Name: Patricia Louise II
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck

Woodsong, another option would be to not paint the non- skid areas. Our topside has been painted before but the NS areas were taped off and left unpainted. I assume this was done so as not to fill in the pattern with paint. The contrast doesn't look bad either. I guess it depends on the condition of your NS.
Forkliftt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 06:16 PM   #39
Guru

City: Missourah
Vessel Name: M/V Scout
Vessel Model: Sundowner Tug 30'

I would never paint over a gel-coat patterned non-skid with out sanding it smooth first.
Just me.
Anode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #40
Guru

On he paint jobs I have seen The ones done with roll and tip were shiner then those that were sprayed Done correctly there are no brush marks at all especially with white paint

motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote