Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 PM   #21

RE: Painting Over Teak

Ten years ago I painted thr teak window frames of my Albin 36. I preped the teak with 220 grit sanding, applied two coats of CPES, two coats of Interlux Pre-Kote. Finish is Interlux Brightside, 2 coats. This held up for 5 years, one coat to renew. In commission 5 months in Mystic CT, under cover for layup.

flyboatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:36 AM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Don't know if THIS vessel had any teak inside or not????????
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...A_Tub_Of_Paint

RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Painting Over Teak

I'm having good luck w my home grown oil finish. Started applying it about 9 months ago. Even a week and a half ago I put on a bit more of a special winter mix. Haven't checked on that though. What I'm using is 15 to 25% raw linseed oil, 25% Olympic wood preservative 50% turpentine. Also I add the specified amount of Japan Drier. Just last week I used 10% linseed oil, 15% preservative and 80% turpentine. It snowed a bit not long after I did the last special winter coat. I've been reading Pete Culler's books and he talks all about pine tar, kerosene and more primitive stuff than that. It is getting a bit blackish right around some bungs and screws (like RT predicted) but only right next to the screws and bungs and only in a few places on the stern. 99% of the cap rail looks close to freshly done. These pics are a bit old but still representative. The winter has just begun and I wasn't going to report until later*** ...but w all this varnish talk? If my cap rail is still fine in the spring I'm going to say why varnish** ...for that matter why paint. Gotta strip that stuff off too**** ...just not as often as varnish.
PS*** That hand rail and skylight on the trunk cabin have been refinished.
PS*** The difference in color (fore and aft) seemingly (to me) dosn't look odd on the boat. On the aft end of the boat it's red (a bit like cherry wood) and from the aft end of the cabin fwd it's more brown. I would prefer it all to be redish.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Tuesday 14th of December 2010 11:41:13 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71166.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	3659   Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71167.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	3660   Click image for larger version

Name:	sth71163.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	3661  
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 05:00 AM   #24
Enigma

Hiya,
** Mr. willie.* I'd like to take credit for mentioning the blackening BUT, I don't think it was me.* I just mentioned the stickiness of the unboiled LO or maybe my memory is frosted.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #25
Guru

RT,
I stand corrected. I went back and checked. It was Marin that made the very excellent post that contained the comment about LO finish turning black. I'm trying to avoid the black plague and we won't know if I can till spring. Walt posted an excellent copy off a page of something that had some very good input as well. Thanks guys.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #26
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Doc wrote:
I have two teak name boards on top of my pilot house. I am going to paint them "off white" because I am sick of varnishing them.

You've gotten alot of advice on painting teak, but I'm wondering if you couldn't just remove them and replace them with something that's easier to paint or even a material (PVC for instance) that would not need to be painted.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
rwidman wrote:
Doc wrote:
I have two teak name boards on top of my pilot house. I am going to paint them "off white" because I am sick of varnishing them.

You've gotten alot of advice on painting teak, but I'm wondering if you couldn't just remove them and replace them with something that's easier to paint or even a material (PVC for instance) that would not need to be painted.
A fellow on our dock with an Island Gypsy recently redid the name boards on the side of his flying bridge.* They had been varnished teak but they are now painted white with gold lettering.* I prefer varnished boards (on this type of boat) but his look very nice.* I'll try to remember to take a picture of them and post it but I believe he matched the white to the color of the gelcoat on his boat.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:08 PM   #28
Doc
Guru

Mine are now painted and re installed. I put a couple of thick coats of varnish on first then applied a total of three spray cans of oil based off-white paint. One the the things I noticed is that a spray can of paint does not contain very much paint, thus three cans. The first two cans were Rustoleum for painting $5 plastic chairs. It is very glossy but these varnished boards soaked up two full cans and I could still see thin spots. I changed for the last coat to Krylon spray paint and it covered better.

I am now considering removing everything and going back to varnish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hpim0800.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	3834  
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -

The white looks nice albeit a bit sterile. Or perhaps "contemporary" would be a better word. In any event, I think it looks good on top of your pilothouse. Envision it with the boat name on it and you may like it better than varnish. It will most likely be easier to read from a distance than a varnished teak nameboard.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #30
Guru

Doc,
I think they would look better if the white matched the gel coat better. Would prolly look nice if you painted the boards same color as the (dark blue I think) big gunnel stripe. Then paint the name same white as the boat. What is that hole in the side of the wheelhouse?*** ...a step? Are you still trying to sell your boat? I finally found a Nordic I can afford**** ...hull #5**** ..32'.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #31
Doc
Guru

Painting Over Teak

Nomadwilly,

I agree the color should have matched better that's why I may strip them and go back to varnish. I couldn't find any spray paint that was closer to the gelcoat. In fact I thought they matched until I put them on and my wife came running out of the house. Going to blue is a good idea, however. I need to start shopping.

My entire boat maintenance career has been amatuer hour. I just hope to break fewer items than I fix and on top of that I am about half color blind. Doomed at the git go.

The hole is a vent. At the top of the hole is the shower exhaust fan outlet.

-- Edited by Doc on Monday 20th of December 2010 06:35:18 PM
Old 12-20-2010, 07:32 PM   #32
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36

I removed the teak nameboards and had a white letters 4" on black vynil sticker made and slapped it on. Not traditional but easy to keep and very legible.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	gumbo name board 003.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	3836  
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #33
Enigma

Hiya,
** Mr. Doc.** You may have the best chance of matching your gelcoat color if you go to an automotive parts store and buy automotive touch up paint in the rattle cans rather than the limited number of color choices that Tremclad or whoever sells and bring the Admiral with you.* SHE can probably match the color better.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #34
Curmudgeon

City: Stoney Creek, MD
Vessel Name: Moon Dance
Vessel Model: 1974 34' Marine Trader Sedan

FWIW, one of the few things I've learned about aesthetics is that if you can't get a perfect match then don't try.* Use something contrasting or complimentary.* The accent usually looks way better anyhow than a perfect match.
BaltimoreLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Doc wrote:

Mine are now painted and re installed. I put a couple of thick coats of varnish on first then applied a total of three spray cans of oil based off-white paint. One the the things I noticed is that a spray can of paint does not contain very much paint, thus three cans. The first two cans were Rustoleum for painting $5 plastic chairs. It is very glossy but these varnished boards soaked up two full cans and I could still see thin spots. I changed for the last coat to Krylon spray paint and it covered better.

I am now considering removing everything and going back to varnish.

Next time, make the*first can "primer".

Old 12-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #36
Doc
Guru

A primer? Ah Ha!. Who knew? Even FF said to slop on a couple of coats of varnish and paint away.

I think that I would like to try to find a whiter white that is closer to the off white of the gelcoat. What is on there now is called "shell white" by Rustoleum and the matching Krylon color had no name on the can. As far as I can research neither make anything between what I have and stark white.

Maybe, as suggested by RTF, the auto parts store would be where to look. Now I need to hack off a piece of gelcoat to take with me.

But, what is on there now is growing on my lazy ass.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #37
Guru

Buy house paint in quarts. Some old salts paint their whole boat w house paint. AND you can go to the piant store to take advantage of the high tech color matching stuff.
"But, what is on there now is growing on my lazy ass."
Doc, Did you post the off color board so we'd prod you?
It's fly stuff*** ...
Unless you're going to keep your boat now. And in that case it looks terible!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:59 AM   #38
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

DocSomeone suggested painting the boards to match the blue. I think that would look great, and being that the two blues would be so far apart, it would be hard to detect a slight color difference. White letters would really pop against the blue.
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #39
Guru

Exactly. And that's why I suggested it. It's always nice when someone likes your ideas.Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #40
Guru

Painting Over Teak

Quote:
Doc wrote:......... the auto parts store would be where to look. Now I need to hack off a piece of gelcoat to take with me.

There are auto parts stores and there are auto parts stores.* In my area, Parks has several stores and they specialize in different areas.* One specializes in paints.* I had to replace the microphone cord to my VHF and the manufacturer only had the cords in white.* I needed black.* Some advice from my brother (an old car restorer) and the Internet led me to a vinyl paint.* The Parks store that specializes in paint had it and the counter man was able to recomment the right "gloss" to match the original.
BTW: "Teak" plastic laminate might be an option in some situations.* Just sayin'.

-- Edited by rwidman on Thursday 23rd of December 2010 11:32:31 AM