Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Painting Old Fiberglass Boat

Looking to Paint my cabin, Aft Deck, and possibly everywhere else topside. Bottom paint coming very soon, due to weather.

So im cheap but i just want to get the job done also. I was looking at primers at Lowes for Cabin, there is 123 water based primer that resists mold and mildew. It looked good but i dont want this to come off right after i paint.

For aft deck, there was the latex valspar primer and Storm/weather paint.

i see the stuff at west marine understand its probably the best route to go but has anybody heard of using the regular latex paints? Deck i understand if its not an option but what about the cabin?

Im trying to do a lot of projects this month or two so you may see me open other threads as well.

CaptSoterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Good thread question: (had written a three paragraph response and hit the magic keys that deleted the whole thing other than the first three words- The heck with it! Not the first time !I do not understand these deletions actions on the format)

Al

Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSoterio View Post
Looking to Paint my cabin, Aft Deck, and possibly everywhere else topside. Bottom paint coming very soon, due to weather.

So im cheap but i just want to get the job done also. I was looking at primers at Lowes for Cabin, there is 123 water based primer that resists mold and mildew. It looked good but i dont want this to come off right after i paint.

For aft deck, there was the latex valspar primer and Storm/weather paint.

i see the stuff at west marine understand its probably the best route to go but has anybody heard of using the regular latex paints? Deck i understand if its not an option but what about the cabin?

Im trying to do a lot of projects this month or two so you may see me open other threads as well.
Yes you can paint your boat with latex house paint. It will look like you painted it with latex house paint.

How much is your boat worth? Is it worth painting right with quality materials or is it just a place on the water that can be moved from time to time?

Remember, the labor will be the same whether you use quality materials or the cheapest you can find. The result will be different.

You don't have to go to West Marine for paint and materials, you can buy the same stuff elsewhere for less money, often a lot less.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

thanks ron, i understand what your saying
Old 11-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Lots of good reports about using rustoleum enamel for topsides....usually people stay away from latex, but today's paints are so complex in formulation that it's hard to say if one or a mix might give satisfactory results. Hang on as some here have used rustoleum and may chime in.

Wit patience and technique, you can get a very smooth, shiny, reflective surface with any decent enamel, as that is what is used on a lot of commercial vessels around here and on the assistance tow fleet I work for.

I use the Bullseye primer below decks as do others here, but I wouldn't use it topside as a primer if I was seeking a pretty fine finish as it would need to be tweaked as I find it pretty thick for fine finish work.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CS. Marine Coatings Brand Page
Don't know for sure but probably cheaper than "name brand" coatings. Boat neighbor uses it and says it works to his expectations and satisfaction.
Aw rats Mr. ps. You're just too quick for me...
Old 11-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #7

City: bayonne
house paint ?

HI, I must second what Ron said, if you don't want to pay for real marine paint. (ANY boat that floats is worth it ) look for a good oil base trim semi gloss , sand, prime, (oil also) & paint, D.I.R.T.F.T. do it right the first time! Rich S.
richardschmidt2759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #8
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
There is no "right way".....there are many ways.

It mainly depends on the boat owner.

Factors like finish quality, cost, application method,, ease of application, number of hands to do the job, longevity, place and time availability, living aboard or not, etc...etc...all factor in the final decision.

Almost any major paint distributor has paint that will do the job at a cost near but hopefully less than West Marine, but more than big box store latex.

Sorry RTF, you go up to bat first next time...babysitting grandson so I had quick response capability.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
If you use any latex paint just remember it's rubber based water paint and no oil paint will stick and last over it when you realize you screwed up using it. The clean up will be a nightmare.

I'd stick to an oil base paint but not any rustoleum paint which is alkyd enamel because the UV eats it up fast and it will chalk and leave paint dust on you every time you touch it. Just ask the hot rod guys. They use it for parts that don't get sun like frames etc.

Even if you go to a Sherman Williams paint store and buy their gloss enamel you will be happier. Just know this, there isn't a good single part gloss oil paint anymore. None will last more than a few years in the sun.

If it were mine, I'd save up for Alexseal, Sterling or AwlGrip LP and have a 10 year paint job. It's the same amount of prep and labor as any paint job.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Guru

Rustoleum actually makes a "marine" paint. Here's a link but I believe I have seen it at Home Depot stores as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5h73jbvjy2_e

I've never used it but I suspect it's better than house or auto paint but not as good as the name brand marine paints from the marine stores.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat.../topside-paint
Old 11-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
What type of finish are looking for? The finish is in the prep. In most paint jobs, the prep is 90% of the work. For a good boat/yacht finish (non-workboat), after you have done all the prep, the paint really isn't all that expensive. Look at the coverage rates of a good paint. A little goes a long way.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps. I can appreciate the grandson situation. 3 at this end. Sort of like...
Old 11-17-2014, 10:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
My experience with water based (latex) primers and paint applied on fiberglass is they will not adhere long and will eventually rise and bubble, crack or peel letting moisture and mildew and algae grow underneath. Admittedly, this experience is with fiberglass exterior doors in Florida and not boats. Additionally, latex does not adhere well where an oil based paint has been previously applied. It will eventually peel.

My advice is high grade marine paints.
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

ok this is for a commercial dungeness crab boat so the deck will see a lot of weather along with sea water. I think im going to get a good marine paint & primer for the deck however, if i can do some of the topside trim with an oil based paint then im going to try it and see how it goes. Im not completely positive about that but I think i have the money to do the marine paint its just that ive got to do a haul out in a few weeks with bottom paint and then whatever else is going to be done during haul out ($$) then im looking to paint the deck also but the temps outside are around mid to low 40s and rain is coming so im not sure i will be able to paint. the haul out is going to be done by yacht fish more than likely or it will wait also.

the interior however, i like the bullseye primer a lot especially the mold and mildew resitance im going to try it and see how it goes. i can afford the cabin to go bad if thats what happens at least ill know.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thank you for the advice from everyone, i welcome more to chime in. im open to all opinions.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
What type of finish are looking for? The finish is in the prep. In most paint jobs, the prep is 90% of the work. For a good boat/yacht finish (non-workboat), after you have done all the prep, the paint really isn't all that expensive. Look at the coverage rates of a good paint. A little goes a long way.
yeah ive heard this and the very little painting i have done i have experienced that all the work is in the prep. so i plan on doing a good job on the prep although it doesnt need to look pretty im mostly looking for something non skid esp on the deck because the vessel does like to roll a tad
Old 11-18-2014, 12:25 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I am waiting on weather right now myself before continuing painting. Awlgrip 545 and such require a minimum of 55 degrees.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 AM   #18
FF
Guru

The big question is do you want a yacht like end produce , glossy?

Or is the surface too far gone so flat will look better.

I would spend the bucks for a good MARINE PRIMER as well as marine enamel paint outside.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSoterio View Post
.......... I think im going to get a good marine paint & primer for the deck however, if i can do some of the topside trim with an oil based paint then im going to try it and see how it goes. ...........
Whatever you put on is pretty much forever. Put some cheap paint on your boat and when it fails you won't be able to use a better paint over it unless you get it all off first. Think about how difficult that will be.

If you can't afford quality materials, I suggest waiting until you can and not messing up the boat.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #20
FF
Guru

>If you can't afford quality materials, I suggest waiting until you can<

You bet! 95% of the work is surface prep

Filler primer and sandpaper with an extra few months will do wonders for the finish.

Then roll & tip to have the best finish.

Paint sells da boat , so a good looking paint job will be an asset , even 10 years from now.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote