Old 11-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Inside the cabin I would absolutely use Zinnzer MildewProof House Paint.
It is water based, available at HomeDepot, tintable, self priming, sticks like glue, dries in 45 min, hardens in 10 days, absolutely will not support mold growth, is very durable, and comes in 3 glosses.

I agree that if you apply some crazy paint to the outside, you will never be able to put good paint over it. Did you mention if the exterior had been painted already at some time? I missed that. If it has been painted in the past, your choices for paint types are more limited.

Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Work Boat

This looks like a working crab boat. You need a paint that will hold up to abuse. Besides gel coat which, shudder is still an option. two part polyurethane regardless of the brand is the best answer. Even automotive two part is expensive. Sterling is one of the big suppliers of automotive paints. If your going to do this yourself outside, I wouldn't rule out gel coat. Here's why, Gel coat requires less prep, no primer, is less sensitive to temperature; and hard to screw up. With gel coat you finish the application by wet sanding the surface smooth and rubbing out the gel coat finish to what ever gloss you want. It is more labor intensive after application because the sanding and rubbing out can take quite a while. However in reality it requires less surface prep because you make your major repairs and remove the old gel coat to bare glass with 60 grit apply the gel coat with multiple thin coats. If it runs it not a disaster as your going to be sanding it smooth anyway. Gel coat will give you the long lasting finish that's been on your boat for years. And since your boat probably is not going to sitting at dock but working the need to buff out the gel coat every year is just an option.
The two part paints are more expensive, surface prep is the key to a good finish as these paints go on thin and will not cover any sins. They are very temperature sensitive and tricky to spray, multiple thin coats, each coat subject to dust. They can be rolled and tipped but sags are still an issue. Two part paints hold up for at least 10 years, are tough as nails and provide gloss like nothing else. They can be repaired and sanded and rubbed out just like gel coat if you know what your doing. My boat has Sterling two part and it still looks great at about 9 years. No buffing needed, just wash and wear.
These two approach's are probably the best however I have used Rustoleum on small pieces like davit bases and engine mounts aluminum window frames with pretty good results, it seems to hold up for at least three or four years. Rustoleum doesn't seem to brush very well anymore and tends to drag quickly, here in California, anyway, but sprays well. My guess would be it would look fine for several years and you would be back after it again.

Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Very good advice.. The deck has paint but its been coming off. ive had this boat a few years and i havent been able to paint until now. Ill take some pictures today and post them up. the paint thats currently on the exterior is probably marine paint it looks pretty heavy duty and im convinced that ill end up with a marine paint for the exterior.

For the Interior cabin area looks like im going to stick with the Bullseye mold and mildew primer fighter. YES I want the value of my vessel to improve so im going to invest in the good paint.

Probably go with the gel coat, and then not really looking or caring about the gloss because its not going to stay shiny very long. just need something heavy duty that can take some abuse.
CaptSoterio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #24
Veteran Member

heres some pictures of what im working with.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
Veteran Member

as you can see ive got a lot of work to do. The next 2-3 weeks ill be working on my boat probably 8 - 10 hours a day to improve it and honestly im siked about it.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #26
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Capt keep the pics coming as you do the work
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

will do!
Old 11-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #28
FF
Guru

Sounds like the commercial paints might work best for such severe service.

PPG.com sells paint for ice rated vessels.

PPG Sigmashield 1200 is for operating in heavy ice , might be tougher than shiny yacht white.
PPG offers SIGMASHIELD 1200 coating for shipping in ...

corporate.ppg.com/.../PPG-offers-SIGMASHIELD-1200-coating-for-shi...
Sep 9, 2014 - Developed from research conducted in PPG's own facilities, SIGMASHIELD 1200 coating delivers exceptional abrasion and impact resistance ...
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #29
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Rustoleum actually makes a "marine" paint. Here's a link but I believe I have seen it at Home Depot stores as well.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_5h73jbvjy2_e

I've never used it but I suspect it's better than house or auto paint but not as good as the name brand marine paints from the marine stores.

Marine Coatings Topside Paint Product Page

I repainted the entire hull of my boat (above the waterline ) 5 or 6 years ago with Rustoleum Marine Paint. It has held up very well. $12 a quart at Lowes.
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoss View Post
I repainted the entire hull of my boat (above the waterline ) 5 or 6 years ago with Rustoleum Marine Paint. It has held up very well. $12 a quart at Lowes.
oh wow, i didnt know there was a rustoleum marine paint. intesteresting. I went to get some primer from seattle marine and it wasnt as expensive as west marine but i mean i dont know if im going to be able to do anything for a couple weeks, haul out is coming and owner work is not permitted. it might have to wait until the spring.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. CS. Take a look at post #6. Sigh, I just don't know...I guess folks think I'm just a pretty face.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 PM   #32

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to bglad
Sherwin Williams makes a marine product line but I don't know how competitive it is price wise.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #33
Guru

City: Solomons Island Md
Vessel Name: Fryedaze
Vessel Model: MC 42 (Overseas Ltd) Monk 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSoterio View Post
oh wow, i didnt know there was a rustoleum marine paint. intesteresting. I went to get some primer from seattle marine and it wasnt as expensive as west marine but i mean i dont know if im going to be able to do anything for a couple weeks, haul out is coming and owner work is not permitted. it might have to wait until the spring.
I painted my bilges out with Rustoleum Topside paint four years ago. The paint has a high gloss and has held up well.
fryedaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:43 AM   #34
FF
Guru

haul out is coming and owner work is not permitted. it might have to wait until the spring.

Many full service yards reserve the hull and bottom work for the yard and allow the crew to do interior work and exterior work from the deck up.

You night want to ask,,,
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #35
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
You can prime over latex or oil base with a water base 2 part epoxy primer, then paint with any polyurethane. Rustoleum water base garage floor epoxy is fairly cheap and just as effective as any other epoxy. It is meant to be used on floors and self leveling, therefor has no "anti run" properties. You just need to add some Cabosill. As a sanding primer over old well adhered paint (of any kind) it would need some microballoons The problem with oil or latex paint is the different movement factors, they dont shrink and expand like fiberglass. Polyurethane and epoxy dont either but there adheasion factor is tremendously greater. Personally, on a deck of a work boat I would use a self applied spray on urethane truck bed liner, simple quick, covers bad stuff nicely and is super durable.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #36
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Capt, I have always had good luck using Petitt's EasyPoxy one part polyurethane paints. I cost about $34 a quart and maybe available in gallons at a better price. It's durable and has a UV protection built into it. Rolling and tipping it leaves a nice finish.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #37
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I get a kick out of the name. It pretends to be epoxy and urethane. More marketing I guess. Nothing urethane or epoxy about it, but better than most single unit coatings.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #38
Veteran Member

City: Mary Esther, FL
I would sand it down, and roll gel coat on. It won't be pretty but it will be tough. I just repainted my hull with alwgrip after three coats of primer, all sprayed, but I was going for a nice finish and got pretty close, but you need durability and rolled on gel coat is pretty darn hard.
BlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #39
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones
From my experience once you paint with house paint you are stuck with it and it will probably last 3 to five years. 95% prep and I would use the primer made for the paint. I had good luck with two part epoxy. Amron marine coating. Seems to be holding up pretty well so far. I am in Alaska so the sun may make a difference Wind, waves I have plenty of that
Old 11-26-2014, 03:02 AM   #40

City: Vancouver Rowing Club, Coal Harbour, Vancouver, B.C.
Vessel Name: Summer Wind 1
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 41
I painted my top sides last spring

I painted my gel coat top sides last spring with Interlux bright side. I used interlux 2 part perfection on the horizontal surfaces, ie. the fly bridge over hang, and interlux inderdeck on my deck. I did all this on under a custom made full winter cover. Sometimes, even in February, the temperature would be 25 degrees Celsius under the cover, by May it was sometimes 40.

Prep consisted of : Sand with 80 grit, apply water base 2 part epoxy, sand with 100 grit, apply primer, sand with 120 grit, apply primer, sand again and a third coat of primer sand again. Then 2 coats of bright side using the roll and tip method, 150 grit between coats. It turned out well. The major trick being the addition of flowing liquid to the paint to compensate for sagging and the effects of changing temperature during the day on the paint.

It was a very brutal, beastly nasty job that I wouldn't wish on any one except convicted criminals needing a hard labour component for their sentence.

If you go to the interlux web site you can catch my conversations with the interlux professionals giving me advice.

grahamdouglass is offline   Reply With Quote