Old 06-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #41
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I was talking to a paint supplier in Seattle a few years ago and he was talking about AwlGrip and the recent failures they had. One of them was on a super yacht and there was a million dollar law suit against AwlGrip over that fiasco.

I know that was hearsay and I never read anything about it, but the supplier was the one who sold the paint.

Sterling never changed their formula. I see boats painted with both and within four to five years you can see major differences between the reformulated AwlGrip and Sterling finishes.

This is why my friend used Alexseal instead of AwlGrip. Sterling is almost impossible to get here now.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #42
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Here's what AwlGrip says about the differences between AwlCraft 2000 and AwlGrip Topcoat:

Topcoats

The Awlgrip Premium Urethane Topcoat is a polyester based polyurethane coating which can be applied by spray, brush, roller or the roller/brush combination. Awlgrip provides excellent chemical and abrasion resistance, along with outstanding color retention.

Awlcraft 2000 is an acrylic based polyurethane coating designed only for spray application. It is designed for the yard, applicator or owner who is willing to sacrifice a little durability to have a faster curing, more easily repaired finish.
Perhaps, but I just haven't noticed Awlgrip not drying fast enough. I lay on multiple coats about 5 to 10 minutes apart but I guess it isn't dry until the next day. I also can't really tell the difference in time to repair, although I don't have much experience with Awlcraft in that regard. It's the "less durable" part that worries me, but I have no clue how to calibrate that.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #43
Veteran Member

City: Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina
Vessel Name: Miss Dot Dee
Vessel Model: 1980 29' Prairie Trawler
I roll and tip awlcraft 2000 and yes it can dry quick but i use that to my advantage it works really well. prep is the key plus use crater x and i use foam rollers and a good quality brush
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	30744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1666.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	30745   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	30746   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140614_145907.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	30747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	30748  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140610_191526.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	30749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1762.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	30750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1899.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	30751  
sailormike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #44
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
We are in the throes of a repaint with Alexseal. As I key, a third coat of primer is going on sanding between coats. We thought 2 coats of primer would suffice but we could see ghosting of the dark fairing compound after the 2 coats. So a third coat it is. As mentioned, prep is THE key. Used 1 gallon (2X .5 gallons) of Alexseal fairing compound. Plan to finish with 2 topcoats. Nice job Mr. sm.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #45

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
RTF, just curious what made you decide on Alexseal?

Re your problem with the fairing compound showing through, I have previously repaired spots on my boat where a light sanding/polishing has broken through the paint exposing the fairng compound & epoxy. Why can't the epoxy & fairing be tinted with a bit of white colorant? I have noted on a few brands that colourant (I wish these pesky spell checkers would quit highlighting colour as a spelling error) can be added but nobody seems to do it. Anyone know of a reason?
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #46
Guru

City: gulf coast
It has been a long time since I did any painting but polyurethanes scared me. They contain isocyanates and extreme care must be taken to avoid breathing fumes or skin contact. Forced air respirators are a must.

Organic solvents can cause "painters dementia"
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:43 PM   #47
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. KC. Due to the "problems" associated with AwlGrip we made the decision to go with Alexseal and used the Alexseal fairing compound to minimize/eliminate any non compatibility issues. If you're using a PC you can add the word colour to the spell check dictionary.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #48
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
It has been a long time since I did any painting but polyurethanes scared me. They contain isocyanates and extreme care must be taken to avoid breathing fumes or skin contact. Forced air respirators are a must.

Organic solvents can cause "painters dementia"
Having painted a speed boat with IMRON and 3 clear coats with glass flakes when I was 23 years old in a both with no respirator I lost 3 days of my life. I don't remember driving home and my wife said my underwear was the colour of the boat. I had a tremendous headache as I came out of the fog almost 2 and a half days later she said I never moved off the sofa. At 58 I wonder how many years I took off my life? Under no circumstances would I mess with these type of paints. I now leave that to the pro's. I kinda wonder if I'll get Dementia when I get older? I show no signs of it now. It's really nothing to mess with. This post isn't meant to be funny.
By the way the boat looks great I'd say it looks excellent.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #49
Guru

Indeed Bill, there is a lot of information on the web about the dangers of these coatings. I was very good with lacquer on cars but quit one I learned about the dangers of exotic coatings. The label on Awlgrip says for professional use only and that is probably not just to satisfy the EPA.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #50
Enigma

Greetings,
We do have professional painters applying the coatings and being in proximity of the application, I can appreciate the odoriferous emanations.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #51
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I did this back in the mid 1970's before the dangers were addressed. I admit to knowing it was an amateur move one I'll never do again. I'm still quite high functioning but I really wonder if at some point in my life this event will come back to haunt me. I was totally out of it for at least 2 and a half days. I'm pretty sure if I would have gotten pulled over I would have ended up locked up for DUI or in the hospital. Young dumb and stupid but the boat looked awesome...
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #52
Guru

Quote:
Young dumb and stupid
It is a wonder we survived. Or did we???????
Old 01-18-2015, 11:05 AM   #53

City: Honolulu, Hawaii
I just finished repainting my Cal 39's topsides with Awlgrip. Yes, it had to dry overnight between coats, but in the grand scheme of things, sanding and prepping the mother took way more time than the wait time between the two coats of Awlgrip. I spent 8 days sanding, filling, sanding, washing, priming, sanding, washing, priming, sanding and washing. Whew! The application of Awlgrip was actually fun! Quick, easy, and immediately gratifying!

With no painting experience to speak of, I just rolled it on with West System foam rollers and didn't tip. The paint flattened itself right out for a mirror finish. Amazing stuff! Total cost including haul-out and supplies with myself and a couple friends supplying the labor: just under $1000.

A couple months after application I had a pretty good smack on the dock. It was basically a Capt'n Ron style approach gone wrong, haha. Anyway, it was a good sideswipe along the hard rubber lining on the dock and waddya know: not a scratch! That Awlgrip is hard!

Here is a step-by-step guide complete with products used, price breakdown, and plenty of photos:

Top Paint | 1978 Cal 39 MkII Sailboat

beebopbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #54
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebopbogo View Post
I just finished repainting my Cal 39's topsides with Awlgrip. Yes, it had to dry overnight between coats, but in the grand scheme of things, sanding and prepping the mother took way more time than the wait time between the two coats of Awlgrip. I spent 8 days sanding, filling, sanding, washing, priming, sanding, washing, priming, sanding and washing. Whew! The application of Awlgrip was actually fun! Quick, easy, and immediately gratifying!

With no painting experience to speak of, I just rolled it on with West System foam rollers and didn't tip. The paint flattened itself right out for a mirror finish. Amazing stuff! Total cost including haul-out and supplies with myself and a couple friends supplying the labor: just under $1000.

A couple months after application I had a pretty good smack on the dock. It was basically a Capt'n Ron style approach gone wrong, haha. Anyway, it was a good sideswipe along the hard rubber lining on the dock and waddya know: not a scratch! That Awlgrip is hard!

Here is a step-by-step guide complete with products used, price breakdown, and plenty of photos:

Simply put- brilliant!

I like seeing DIY jobs come off so well!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #55
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Beautiful job!!!!!!
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #56
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Nice work, great shine!!
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #57
Ben
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Sand Castle
Vessel Model: 1986 MT Sundeck 35.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by beebopbogo View Post

Wow. Just wow. I am going to be surveying YouTube out the wazoo for procedure. I've done minor jobs but am a meticulous learner (some say paranoid) but hope to paint my pilothouse and bridge in the near future. Your job looks fantastic. Thank you for sharing and your pictures.

MV Sand Castle
Wilmington, NC
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:25 PM   #58

City: pittsfield, nh
these are LPU coatings - linear polyurethene. Just like 2 part auto paints. Two flavors - acyrlic polyurethane and polyester polyurethane. Sell for about $100 - $200 a gallon in industrial non marine settings.

a cheap way to go is to use a regular enamel as the pigment coat and then a clear 2 part lpu topcoat. Make sure the 2 part clear has lots of uv blockers (like found in 2 part lpu auto clear coat) - not avaiable (as far as I know) in any 'marine' lpu .

The week link with lpu coatings is their adhesion. they need a primer - generally a thinned epoxy but other 'fresh' solvent based coatings seem to work too.

google LPU coatings or PLU polyurethane etc. to learn more about this class of crosslinking coatings.
pauloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 11:28 PM   #59

City: Edmonds, WA
Vessel Name: WESTERLY
Vessel Model: 1974 Pacific Trawler 37
Marin:

"But so far we can sand and paint and varnish and wash and polish to our heart's content."

In Edmonds in your own slip, you can only tackle an exterior area of 25% of the boat per year, tarps must cover all open water areas in order to collect dust, no open sanding, electric sanders must be equipped with vacuum equipment and hep filters.

Coming your way Marin.

Jay N is offline   Reply With Quote