Old 05-08-2017, 03:51 PM   #1
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Painting an aluminum boat

Greetings All:
It's time to repaint the topside of Old School as what's on there now is starting to flake in spots. I have never done this so I would like advice on what paint to buy. Will surely need to rough up the old paint with a sander. Can paint chips from the current paint be analyzed so as to get the same or similar color? All help appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:02 AM   #2
FF
Guru

I have used Rustoleum water based aluminum primer for both aluminum and hard to paint galvanized.

It can be over painted with oil after a few days of drying.

Unlike many primers , it does not seem to require a top coat , 4 years so far.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
We painted all the aluminum on Hobo 5 years ago. I think we had ~50 plus pieces plus we painted all the exterior parts of the port lights. We first sanded down to bare metal then washed with Alumiprep 33 and then used Alodine, then a high build PPG epoxy primer and finished with Awlgrip paint. There were a lot more steps in between but these are the basics. As with most painting projects, the level of prep goes a long way on the how the finished product looks and lasts.

Look at some aircraft painting web sites for more information. Planes or parts of them have been painted for a long time. Good luck with your project.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
TF Site Team

Some befores and afters.
Attached Thumbnails
paint 4.jpg   paint 2.jpg   paint 1.jpg   paint 3.jpg  
Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
We painted all the aluminum on Hobo 5 years ago. I think we had ~50 plus pieces plus we painted all the exterior parts of the port lights. We first sanded down to bare metal then washed with Alumiprep 33 and then used Alodine, then a high build PPG epoxy primer and finished with Awlgrip paint. There were a lot more steps in between but these are the basics. As with most painting projects, the level of prep goes a long way on the how the finished product looks and lasts.

Look at some aircraft painting web sites for more information. Planes or parts of them have been painted for a long time. Good luck with your project.

For painting Al, there are many wrong ways and but a few right ways if you desire a quality job. Like everything nautical he does, Larry M nailed it
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Very nice job Larry, and thanks to all who responded. I don't want to go down to bare metal as it would take many hours/days/who knows, etc. I plan to paint over the current paint job and, where necessary in a few places, down to bare metal. My concern is what paint to use over the old paint.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
FF
Guru

. "My concern is what paint to use over the old paint."

In most cases a primer is required if the top coat needs to stay stuck to the substrate.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
TF Site Team

That shouldn't be a problem. You shouldn't have to take everything down to bare metal. We didn't on our mast.

I would assume you have a 2 part paint. You still should sand everything to accept the recommended primer of the paint you're going to use. I'd contact the paint manufacturer.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:27 PM   #9
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
The biggest mistake people make is not matching the primer to the topcoat and telling the paint MFG that your covering aluminum.
mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
In my limited experience of painting an aluminum windlass cover, exposed aluminum oxidizes faster than a fast thing. You need to get the primer on asap after exposing the surface. Thousands of aluminum Muir windlass covers(new ones are composite) with bubbled paint attest to this.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote