Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
I just googled the site of Prevale.
They don't say how it works.
What are you buying? An "empty" aerosol can that allows paint to be added?
??..Ummmm...There are pictures and a video...

Old 01-16-2016, 10:28 AM   #22
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
??..Ummmm...There are pictures and a video...
True but they are geared towards selling the product. If you can't take the time to answer, there's not much point in posting.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #23
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Color selection spray can auto paint at NAPA is some good stuff. Can develop runs/sags in paint pretty easy when spraying, so you must be good at pointing, moving-along, and maintaining correct distance away. With a couple to three coats items shine gloss as new. Of course the final finish smoothness is dependent on preparation of surface. And, taped masking is required to catch over-spray. That's why they still print newspapers - isn't it??
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #24
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Anybody ever try using a spray can with one of those little "soda straw" attachments to touch up minor details in tight places? IOW, without have do to as much masking?

-Chris
Old 01-16-2016, 10:55 AM   #25
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
You can do a decent job with spray cans. The trick is to put on several light coats allowing solvents to flash off between coats. Don't even think about trying to cover in a single coat. Also you have to keep the can moving at an even speed and paint well past the ends of the area being painted so that direction changes in can movement don't result in too much paint on an area. The negative of spray cans is the quality of the paint. I have found that the paints used in common brands also take a LONG time to cure adequately for recoating if you let them go overnight before recoating. That is particularly true if you put a bit too much paint on in the first coat.

Preval sprayers work well, but they are fussy about the consistency of the paint. If the paint is just a tiny bit too thick the sprayer won't spray and is very difficult to clean out.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:36 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
I personally wouldn't use a 1 part retail store spray paint over gelcoat or a 2 part poly paint. Blending them in would be hard as would the color match. I guess it's what type of finish you're looking for.

The Preval sprayer is 2 parts, the aerosol/propellant and the bottle. You mix the medium you want to spray or have some else mix it for you.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #27
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
I've sprayed gelcoat with a preval sprayer. Worked great.

It is essentially a reservoir, and an aerosol charge, screwed together, that uses a venturi pickup.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:02 PM   #28

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Most hardware stores sell the unit and replacement charge. Empty container and gas charge for propellant. The huge advantage is you can spray your color and your product. These are decent and are not expensive. These have been around for a long time. Touch up or small areas only. They are easy to use and will get you to cocktail time quicker.
bilge53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #29
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Anybody ever try using a spray can with one of those little "soda straw" attachments to touch up minor details in tight places? IOW, without have do to as much masking?

-Chris
It will just come out in drips...

I cut an oversized hole in a pretty good sheet of cardboard...hold it an inch or two away...closer if tiny area...and spray.

Essentially the same as masking but without tape lines and you can get close to the cardboard to prevent overspray... yet it is far enough away from the surface to keep a nice pattern for good coverage without excess.

Practice on a few scraps to get the size and distance you want.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:20 PM   #30
Guru

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
I checked as well. I get the same impression that you did. Something that will spray your own paint (which is good because you can get color matched paint). Apparently you buy new pressure cylinders when needed.

This may or may not be less expensive than off the shelf quality spray paint. It would seem to be pretty good for small jobs and I suppose it would spray gelcoat.

For the folks who have used this, how about some practical information?
The container is an empty glass "jar" and the replaceable aerosol spray head screws on and has a pick up tube attached.
Like someone said you have to get the viscosity right - just as you do with other spray equipment - I found following Awlcraft mix recommendation is worked fine. Relatively easy to clean w/ a paper / plastic cup of solvent - just hold the pick up tune in the solvent a spray a little.

Advantage is not cost - although they aren't all that expensive - and readily available at many hardware / home stores
The big advantage is you can spray small quantities of "custom" finishes not available in rattle cans - including 2 part finishes you custom mix just before using.
Great for touch / small area / projects up not so much for a big job.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:22 PM   #31
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Ah...Eric, a dashboard is not exactly a large area, I would think.
I also take the point re the suggestion of a clip-on spray can handle, which I presume makes the holding and the depression of the spray knob much easier on the fingers, as I've done a bit of spray can painting, and it's hard on the fingers, and your fingertip sometimes interferes with the spray, causing droplets.

Exactly! With the clip on handle which has a trigger, you can spray just like the pros. Sweep side to side and stop the trigger before you end each sweep. You will be surprised how smooth your motion will be and the paint overlap each stroke will meld correctly. Give it a try, they are only a couple of bucks.

Al-27'Marben Pocket CRUISER
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:01 PM   #32
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
"I've sprayed touch up areas with the Preval using paint and gelcoat. I practiced on a throw away flat surface after I mixed the right consistency without the spray being to thin or thick. I'd challenge anyone to find the repairs."

koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:09 PM   #33
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
I would like to thank those who posted real life experiences. It sounds like this would be just the thing for gelcoat repairs or touch up.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:12 PM   #34
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
For many here with a large enough boat...a cheap airbrush kit and small compressor works great too...plus the compressor has many other uses.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:42 PM   #35
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I was in the paint store getting paint matched to paint the transom of my boat. They were mixing custom colors of paint and putting it into spray cans. I think he said that it was about 7 or 8 dollars plus the cost of the paint. He said he could put almost anything sprayable into the can.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:54 AM   #36

City: South Florida
Some great advice. I've used Preval sprayers for various jobs including gelcoat over 20 years. I know plenty of boat builders that use them for touch up too.

The clip on handles for a spray can is good advice too. Even for a small area it helps control and fatigue of your index finger which can make a huge difference in the finished product.

As mentioned, technique is as, if not more, important than product.

If you can use a basic color I have found the Rust-oleum Epoxy Appliance Black/White/Biscuit Specialty Appliance Epoxy Spray Product Page to be an excellent product in a rattle can. I have used it in small areas on thee olde Mainship, outdoor furniture, even an old car. Best paint in a spray can I have ever used.

And a last suggestion, if you are looking for a basic color like white, the next time you are in the yard, look around for any spray jobs going on. If there is a hull being painted you might be able to get the painter to come over with his setup when he's done and use left over paint to do your little job. I've done this and for $100 got a professional finish on a small project. Of course you have to do all the prep to the painters specs, and you may have to tent the area.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #37
FF
Guru

"If there is a hull being painted you might be able to get the painter to come over with his setup when he's done and use left over paint to do your little job."

For a stand alone this is good advice ,

BUT for touch up remember there are provably 50 "white" colors.

Even harder with gel coat that changes color just drying , and again ages in sun shine.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #38
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
It will just come out in drips...

I cut an oversized hole in a pretty good sheet of cardboard...hold it an inch or two away...closer if tiny area...and spray.

Ah. Got it, thanks.

-Chris
Old 01-17-2016, 07:27 AM   #39
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
True but they are geared towards selling the product. If you can't take the time to answer, there's not much point in posting.
I guess the answer is so obvious he didn't feel the need for a detailed post.

But I'll have a go.

You buy/mix your paint, pour it in the glass jar, screw on the aerosol spray head, spray your paint till the replaceable aerosol head runs out, change to a new aerosol head if need be, add more paint to the jar if need be, repeat as needed to finish the job, clean out jar after you're done, spray solvent through the aerosol head if you want to save it or throw it away.

That is pretty much how it works.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote