Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > General Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2018, 10:05 AM   #1
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Painted old Polyform G5 fenders with Duplicolor vinyl and fabric paint

I previously had painted these fenders with Plastidip, which turned into a complete failure. The paint turned into a sticky white sludge. It cleaned off easily with gasoline, but what a pain. Took a while to turn to sludge. Other thing, that Plastidip is meant to rub off, so for fenders it is a bad idea anyway.

I had 4 Polyform G5 which cleaned up afterwards ok, they were not sticky, but they had embedded stains, and nothing could remove, bleach, gas, acetone, etc...
Went looking again for a vinyl paint and tried this Duplicolor. They turned out nice looking and the paint is well stuck on the fenders. They are rinsed off in the pics, so not glossy looking.

I let them dry for a week before use. Strung them along a rope for painting. Took 1.5 cans to paint 3 fenders. The paint is $8 at O'reilly's auto part, which is best price around.

One of the old G5 after cleaning I noticed had lost air pressure, and the side was developing a crack. When I inflated it, a small slit appeared so it was history, and I was able to rip it open.

Here are some pics of the 3 left which are so far good. I did buy another white G5 from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $27, which was a good price. Polyform wont replace busted old fenders, but Taylor Made will exchange them at West Marine for free.

Two pictures show the busted one, and the general look which they all had before painting.
Attached Thumbnails
20180921_102544.jpg   20180921_102627.jpg   20180921_103224.jpg   20180921_102645.jpg   20180921_103150.jpg  

sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:28 AM   #2
Guru

City: kemah
Take some scuff pics of the new paint (when you get some), lets see how it fares to abrasion.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Guru

With these old fenders, it was the discolored tops and bottoms I did not like how they looked, seems to have embedded mildew staining. The sides were pretty good looking. Also the tops were up close visibly sun damaged, rough looking, orange pealy, their sides were still smooth. I scrubbed and sanded them lightly. The paint filled it in so they look smoother. The base material was not sticky. These fenders are over 20 years old. So even if the sides scuff, I can clean it and the tops wont be scuffing.
I figure the paint on the tops will keep the sun from causing more damage to the plastic.

I took a scrunge to the paint with some soap and it survived some scrubbing, but nothing like a boat rubbing a dock.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I've done the same a few times to my now nearly 40 yr old fenders, bought for my 24 ftr and now used and suitable for my 32 ftr. They still are in decent condition although badly need a recoat. I think I bought good quality units as evidenced by their continuous use over the time.

I used a car landau top recoating spray which was made for similar purposes. Just can't find it anymore as the landau tops are passe.

It does wear off and stain but as sdowney says it will give you a few years before it needs to be redone.
I will do this again as replacements will be pushing $400. A few cans of spray and some work

Thank you sdowney for the suggestion and I will go looking for the Duplicolour spray.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #5
Guru

Been over a month and they are ok, not sticky, vinyl paint is staying on ok. Must have bonded pretty good. Really for me it was the tops that were the ugliest part and that never rubs.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #6
Guru

Several months gone by and they look freshly painted, no damage. Sun and weather is having no effect on the vinyl paint.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:31 AM   #7
FF
Guru

"When I inflated it, a small slit appeared so it was history, and I was able to rip it open."

Trim the hole where the cut is , old fenders make great non marring tool or part carriers.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 01:18 PM   #8
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Old fender pieces also make a good stuffing box cover to control the fine spray that all stuffing boxes produce which then contributes to rust on any nearby steel or cast iron parts..
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Is that spray can 6 ft tall?
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 05:57 AM   #10
FF
Guru

"good stuffing box cover to control the fine spray that all stuffing boxes produce which then contributes to rust on any nearby steel or cast iron parts.."

Easier to install Duramax or similar modern packing that does not require leaking underway
FF is offline   Reply With Quote